BigJames is offline Senior Member

Arrow Trying something new...

Well, new to me anyway. I, like many others on this board, do not have the time between work and family to put in the ideal hours at the gym. I am currently trying to get my BF% from 18-19% down to 10-12%. Ideally, I would hit the gym for cardio sessions 3 to 4 times a week in the AM and go back in the PM (after work) to hit the weights. This is impossible for me right now. I was researching fat burning techniques and came accross a study that basically states that 2 or 3 shorter cardio sessions in a day can burn as much fat as 1 longer session (this was in FLEX, Muscular Development, and Readers Digest of all things). So, in light of my restrictions, I have started adding 2, 10-minute cardio sessions during my workout. For example, today I did the following:

12 minutes cardio on treadmill (HR= ~125 BPM)
    Incline Bench Press 4 Sets
    Flat Bench Press 4 Sets
    Low Incline Flyes 3 Sets
    Weighted Dips 3 Sets
    10 minutes cardio on treadmill (HR= ~125 BPM)
    Seated Front Raises supersetted with seated Side Raises 3 sets
    Seated Dumbbell Press supersetted with Dumbbell Shrugs 3 sets

I am going to try this and see if it helps to shed some BF. Has anyone experimented with this? Does anyone have any other suggestions as to how to fit cardio into my workout with the least amount of muscle mass loss?

Thanks

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Personally, I do not like it. From what I see you did cardio for 12minutes prior to your workout and if that is correct then all you did was get your heart rate up. However, it does not mean it may not help you some. That is why experimentation is part of this crazy game.

BigJames is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder
    Personally, I do not like it. From what I see you did cardio for 12minutes prior to your workout and if that is correct then all you did was get your heart rate up. However, it does not mean it may not help you some. That is why experimentation is part of this crazy game.
    Thanks for your input blue. Yeah, this is an experiement...I guess my alternative would be to train first and do cardio second in one chunk, but I have heard that this just ruins your recovery...

Thread Information