lzicc is offline Senior Member

Bench Press Sticking point

Doing the bench press, when your sticking point is at the point when the bar is closest to your chest, what muscle needs more work to get past that point? Would it be shoulders?

That is the point where I am having trouble adding weight.

ryan9101 is offline Associate Member
    I would focuse in on some floor presses.

chest6 is offline Banned
    shoulders..do what ryan said or some work with one board

bmg
    bmg is offline Member
    try doing doing some deep flye movements (start slow and deliberate). you probably just need to spend a little more time working the pec in the stretched position.

I will try a board and see how that works. Do you think I should work my front delts more with an isolation excersise? I never do front delt exercises since they do get hit pretty hard with bench.

chest6 is offline Banned
    i really never isolate my front delts..i guess front raises would do the trick a lil..i do those occasionally

HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    i find the best way to get stronger or better at something is to do it, practise makes perfect, do some negatives, negatives i find are a great way to increase strength on exercises!

Keyser Sozey is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lzicc
    Doing the bench press, when your sticking point is at the point when the bar is closest to your chest, what muscle needs more work to get past that point? Would it be shoulders?
    That is the point where I am having trouble adding weight.
    Shoulders (I do standing bbell presses, then front raises, for the front delt), triceps (Skullcrushers will def. add some strength to your tris & result in a bigger bench). The back is very important (Bent bbell rows should do the trick). When you descend the bar, your shoulder blades should come together (contracting your back). When you push the bar up, your back should expand to aid the press.
    Hope this helps,
    <Keyser>

Thanks for the replies. If I bench and don't go the whole way down, I can add more weight, but I like to get the full range of motion.

I am actually thinking about giving up on flat bench for awhile and sticking to incline barbell/dumbell, heavy dips and incline flies. I noticed that inclines are so much easier on my shoulders and forward dips seem to really work the tries/chest/ shoulders really hard.

I have that ego thing going on sometimes. I mark my progress on how my much my flat bench goes up. I have to quit doing that. I get frustrated.

Thread Information