Dandude is offline New Member

Tolerance and Workout Schedule

Hey guys,

Just wondering how often you guys change the exercises that you are doing for working the specific muscles each day. I read something recently about varying the type of exercise that you work the muscle with due to the tolerance that your muscle builds for particular exercises , but it didnt really tell me how to vary or how often.

For example, how often do you guys change the type of workout you do for chest exercises?

Thanks.

Dandude.

dane26 is offline Retired Moderator
    i think it's an individual thing. personally i change things up about every 6 weeks. when i feel burned out, i'll change things up also

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod

I agree with dane

I agree with dane,
    about every 6 weeks is a good time frame. The only problem that I have seen (with me included) is thathumans are creatures of habit. I will cahnge my routine up but will find myself doing the same old routine the next several days. I have compensated this by preodically working out at a different gym from time to time. I am very fortuneate to have worked many of the local gyms in my town and in Montgomery ( A town about 10 miles away)and I can get a couple weeks pass for a realitively decent price. It really gives me a boost, different people,different atmosphere ect.
    Tobey

dane26 is offline Retired Moderator
    good point tob. changing gyms is sometimes as important as changing routines

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    or at least as important as changing your workout clothes...although there some people at my gym who haven't learned that principle yet

I'm in agreement with Tobey and Dane...every 6 weeks seems to work for me but I've spoken to people who switch exercises every single workout. Bottom line is it comes down to individual preference. What works for some may not work for others. Experiment, try new things, see what works best. This all part of getting expirience and gaining a sound knowledge of training. Good Luck bro.

Pete

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    If it is working why change it?

I think a lot of people do not give their training programs enough time you need to do it for at least 8 weeks to see if it is working.I know when my routine is stagnant and most people get bored of the same routine.

Change it when you feel ready to change it

Billy

dumbells101 is offline Senior Member
    Changing your gym...hmmm I guess if you went in one day and began re-arranging the equipment that would be a diferent workout. You'd be sore as hell the next day or so, but that would kind of tick me off if a member did that. I'd let them paint of something but that's it.

JRMY2711 is offline Associate Member
    im with my man billy on this one dont change it until you dont feel any gains or pump out of the workout if it aint broke dont fix it.

dumbells101 is offline Senior Member
    With change comes growth. There is not any person that if they continue the same routine will not eventually come to a wall. most @ 8-12 weeks. Change is good. Ask the woman who doesn't perform lunges for a couple weeks how she feels the next day after 3 or so sets!

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    Changing your gym...hmmm I guess if you went in one day and began re-arranging the equipment that would be a diferent workout. You'd be sore as hell the next day or so, but that would kind of tick me off if a member did that. I'd let them paint of something but that's it.
    Sorry just had this mental image of all these huge guys arguing about what colour they should change the gym to

Billy

Big Al is offline Retired Moderator
    I personnally have two work outs for each Split day, I rotate them. Also where possible I alternate gyms, not so much lately, been lazy, but still a good option.

However, I do feel a change is important it is easy to get bored and demotivated. Having said that I like to run with the same exercises, change order, and intensity, rep rang etc. But I like to see progression, I aim to hit more reps/weight on a certain exercise week in week out so there needs to be a certain amount of stability, that why I have the rotating workouts, the two have different feels, one is very intense the other is still intense but less stressful mentally, i.e. Bench press, is replaced my incline smith, etc

Thread Information