Thread: Spotting

SayHelotomylilFriend is offline Associate Member

Spotting

Hi all. Today was my chest day and while benching, someone came to spot me for my 3 sets. I liked it so much!! I mean I felt like each last 2 reps was the most hard but protitable reps and I would not have been able to do them without a spot.

My question is... do you think that a spot (a buddy watching you behind you lifting, to help in case of failure) is ESSENTIAL in benchpress ?

IMO YESS to have the most gain possible!

As for other muscle and exercises, I don't think that a spot is really needed...
    the Bench Press thought is an exercises that we, IMO absolutely need a spot to get great gains.

what you think ?

BlueAndromeda73 is offline Senior Member
    I think for all presses (shoulders, chest, db or bb) a spot is good excpet for warm up, b/c like you said it will help you get those extra gains, I always like a few spotter forced reps at the end of an exercise, also with squats as a safety issue if you are going heavy.

dr.shred is offline Senior Member
    depends on type of training. For strength you should not need a spot, but for hypertrophy you might.

SayHelotomylilFriend is offline Associate Member
    what is hypertrophy

droddy is offline Junior Member
    i'd say yes for strength too

GREENMACHINE is offline Are you green enough?
    Quote Originally Posted by SayHelotomylilFriend
    what is hypertrophy
    Muscle growth.

ya_man is offline Member
    i like to have a spot for squats, leg press, bench, shoulders, basically everything when i go real heavy....its good stuff

robkesl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueAndromeda73
    I think for all presses (shoulders, chest, db or bb) a spot is good excpet for warm up, b/c like you said it will help you get those extra gains, I always like a few spotter forced reps at the end of an exercise, also with squats as a safety issue if you are going heavy.
    my thoughts exactly!

Glutamine77 is offline Junior Member
    if you're going for growth and have no spotter go for drop sets,..works great for me

IMO you NEED a spot for almost every exercise, my body has grown accustomed to forcing 2 reps past failure, so without a spot, I feel like my routine is catabolic.

Crazylegs is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ya_man
    i like to have a spot for squats, leg press, bench, shoulders, basically everything when i go real heavy....its good stuff

Not trying to sound like a dick.. However why would you need a spot for leg press? Yes I see people do it, but why not put your hands or you knees and push? Before you say I go real heavy it doesnt matter you have more direct force than some guy trying to push on a pin.

Dave321 is offline AR's Salad Tossing Connoisseur
    for a second there, I thought the title was in reference to your period... glad that's cleared up now...

aminophiliac is offline Junior Member
    Having a spot is great for most really heavy lifts, but is not essential if you don't have someone to help you. Remember that there are a lot of other high intensity training techniques besides forced reps.

Thread Information