Thread: Weight Belt

ryan26 is offline Junior Member

Weight Belt

What is a weight belt supposed to do when squatting or deadlifting?

Ranger5 is offline Junior Member
    Lower back support when using max poundages

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    takes pressure off lower back.

dont use belts, only makes lower back weaker

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    stabilizes your spine from the inside by applying pressure from all around and using the air in ur lungs as an internal brace or something like that... i was informed by some big guy... but yeah the pressure hinders the growth of your spinal erectus and makes you WEAK

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Okay here is the skinny on belts. Personally I would wear one when doing certain lifts heavy. My reasoning is I care more about preventing injury than having to use all the other muscles involved put to work. In another words the good outweighs the bad imo. Belts do help support the lumbar area(lower back) Basically how they work and function is it gives allows the abdominal muscles to push against a resistance(the belt), therefor it has to be snug/tight not loose. When you squat it raises the intra abdominal pressure. This higher pressure supports the lumbar vertabrae. When you support the vertabrae you minimize flexion thus keeping a more natural postural alignment. Only needed for back exercises that are heavy. Show me a powerlifter who DOES NOT wear a belt. Remember belts are not going to prevent injury but only assists in the minimizing the possibilty. Your proper body alignment and form as well as overall condioning is what prevents injury. And yes, I do wear a belt.

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder
    Okay here is the skinny on belts. Personally I would wear one when doing certain lifts heavy. My reasoning is I care more about preventing injury than having to use all the other muscles involved put to work. In another words the good outweighs the bad imo. Belts do help support the lumbar area(lower back) Basically how they work and function is it gives allows the abdominal muscles to push against a resistance(the belt), therefor it has to be snug/tight not loose. When you squat it raises the intra abdominal pressure. This higher pressure supports the lumbar vertabrae. When you support the vertabrae you minimize flexion thus keeping a more natural postural alignment. Only needed for back exercises that are heavy. Show me a powerlifter who DOES NOT wear a belt. Remember belts are not going to prevent injury but only assists in the minimizing the possibilty. Your proper body alignment and form as well as overall condioning is what prevents injury. And yes, I do wear a belt.
    i know lots that dont use them.

31uniform is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder
    Good stuff!

perfectbeast2001 is offline "king of free stuff" / Retired
    I read an interesting article which suggested that belts may actually cause damage by putting the spine under pressure on heavy lifts. I will try and find it and post it. I dont wear one.

Thread Information