birdman22 is offline New Member

hafta test on bench tommorrow... any pointers to get one more rep

i have to test out for bench tommorrow and we hafta get between 1-6 reps of a heavy weight. i did 275 for 2 like a week ago and barely got it is there any way i could get 3.. any tips?

birsling is offline Member
    What's the test for? Are you allowed a bench shirt?

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Tip: Don't max out every week~

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Yup, try benching around 235 for reps then add 20lbs more do as many as u can. Do not worry about the 275lb. The few days before eat lots of carbs & FAT too gain a few pounds before. You hopefully will get more than 3, good luck

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    i dunno if you know this already, if you dont all these will help, if you do already know this, my bad but here goes

been their man. this should help

1. tuck your ass back and try to get is as close to your shoulderblades as possible, you are more powerfull when you are more compact

2. squeeze your lats together

3. kinda puff up your upper body and make a big chest

4. arch your back like their is no tomarro

5. kinda goes with number 1, tuck your feet back as far as possible and remember to use your legs to drive the weight up.

also, this is kinda cheap, but we did it last year for the coach, it might have worked. when your back is really arched, lower the bar down to your chest and slam your back down as you drive the weight up

i dont really know about this, but i have read that a narrower grip that allows you to use more shoulders and tris rather than isolate your chest will allow you to use more weight, this is not so true with me. it probably is bs, i dunno, but i did read it out of muscle and fitness.

good luck

63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    Narrow what the F***? I couldn't bench over 225 narrow. I went wide and the weight just kept climbing up. In a month I was at 275. Just eat like is alread suggested. Work with plenty of heavy sets of 4's, 3's 2's and 1's. Maybe even some static holds.

How do you determine what's heavy? I mean pound for pound some lil' guys kick my arse. I'm freaking weak sauce compared to lil' guys I've seen on ESPN bench comp. I'm 190 and used to push 280. Is that heavy compared to what I weigh?

worldknown is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 63190
    Narrow what the F***? I couldn't bench over 225 narrow. I went wide and the weight just kept climbing up. In a month I was at 275. Just eat like is alread suggested. Work with plenty of heavy sets of 4's, 3's 2's and 1's. Maybe even some static holds.

How do you determine what's heavy? I mean pound for pound some lil' guys kick my arse. I'm freaking weak sauce compared to lil' guys I've seen on ESPN bench comp. I'm 190 and used to push 280. Is that heavy compared to what I weigh?
    thats good

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Use wide grip for sure, the power comes from the chest & back.

63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by worldknown
    thats good
    190/280 is good or the whole post is good?

i saw a pic of one bro on here benching 600 and his elbows were at about 45-55 degrees, thus a narrower grip involiving more shoulders and tris. what is more powerful for one person might not be as good for another guy. i myself feel better with a wider grip.

Mr.Magoo is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IronReload04

I don't believe this is good advice. The arch puts your body in a venerable position for injury. True you can do a little more weight or one more rep but when you sacrifice form you are putting your self up for a potential injury that could side line ya.

arching your back to a certain degree is fine. all powerlifters probably do it. Besides, i dunno about you, but on my football team, the bench and squat test truly is life or death. This is where favorites are picked. Luckily, i was picked in that group because of my good numbers.

GQSuperman is offline Banned

also

take creatine and some energy supplement before you lift (i used to take ultimate orange....but you could make your own eca stack). due to motivation and perhaps these supplements prior, i did 3 more reps with 225 than i ever had before.

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Hey Yea I dunno if any of you have heard of Hugo Gerrard, hes a power lifter, as well as Mike whiteford.. these boys know their stuff. the Arch is ok but not like half the ppl do it in the gym.. its only supposed to be a slight arch to put your chest up a bit more! dont use the arch to gain power! just some advise I ahve been given

Benches505 is offline 75% HGH 25% Testosterone
    i dunno if you know this already, if you dont all these will help, if you do already know this, my bad but here goes

been their man. this should help

1. tuck your ass back and try to get is as close to your shoulderblades as possible, you are more powerfull when you are more compact

2. squeeze your lats together

3. kinda puff up your upper body and make a big chest

5. kinda goes with number 1, tuck your feet back as far as possible and remember to use your legs to drive the weight up.

also, this is kinda cheap, but we did it last year for the coach, it might have worked. when your back is really arched, lower the bar down to your chest and slam your back down as you drive the weight up

i dont really know about this, but i have read that a narrower grip that allows you to use more shoulders and tris rather than isolate your chest will allow you to use more weight, this is not so true with me. it probably is bs, i dunno, but i did read it out of muscle and fitness.

good luck

Or if you plan on cheating to the degrees mentioned above why not just hire a big guy to lift the weight for you? or possibly bring a forklift into the gym and have it help you lift the weight as you arch your back and lift with your legs?

Keep your back flat on the bench...take a wide grip and think of something that really pissed you off and take it out on the weight! Do it the right way or don't bother doing it at all.

Good luck Bro

brian11 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Benches505
    Or if you plan on cheating to the degrees mentioned above why not just hire a big guy to lift the weight for you? or possibly bring a forklift into the gym and have it help you lift the weight as you arch your back and lift with your legs?

Keep your back flat on the bench...take a wide grip and think of something that really pissed you off and take it out on the weight! Do it the right way or don't bother doing it at all.

Good luck Bro
    Booyow. Tell 'em

Good luck Bro
    football max tests have nothing to do with bodybuilding. You are trying to put up the most weight possible to impress the coaches, favorites start on the max results sheet.
    try rereading the post the whole way throgh and maybe you willrealize he wanted to know how to bench more weight in a very short period of time. not grow muscle in a very short period of time

football max tests have nothing to do with bodybuilding. You are trying to put up the most weight possible to impress the coaches, favorites start on the max results sheet.
    try rereading the post the whole way throgh and maybe you willrealize he wanted to know how to bench more weight in a very short period of time. not grow muscle in a very short period of time
    get into a time machine, go back and work harder, then you can do more weight

dude, their are powerlifting tricks to enhance your max

he freaking wanted to know how to increase his poundage for the NEXT day, all the tips i listed are powerlifting techniques to help one lift more

he freaking wanted to know how to increase his poundage for the NEXT day, all the tips i listed are powerlifting techniques to help one lift more
    good job

Benches505 is offline 75% HGH 25% Testosterone
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman22
    i have to test out for bench tommorrow and we hafta get between 1-6 reps of a heavy weight. i did 275 for 2 like a week ago and barely got it is there any way i could get 3.. any tips?
    getting pissed off prior to the lift will give you one more rep..Mind over matter Bro

"he freaking wanted to know how to increase his poundage for the NEXT day, all the tips i listed are powerlifting techniques to help one lift more"

These techniques you speak of are the reason that powerlifting is now viewed as a complete joke by so many people..you killed a great sport with tricks and tips

R.I.P Powerlifting

my bad, i didnt mean too

getting pissed off prior to the lift will give you one more rep..Mind over matter Bro

"he freaking wanted to know how to increase his poundage for the NEXT day, all the tips i listed are powerlifting techniques to help one lift more"

These techniques you speak of are the reason that powerlifting is now viewed as a complete joke by so many people..you killed a great sport with tricks and tips

R.I.P Powerlifting
    this is not powerlifting, this is impressing a coach ****it

TimeToGetBig27 is offline Junior Member
    I don't know if it's the best idea, but you know when you hit that point when struggling with a bench and it seems like it just wont move? sometime dropping it back down to ur chest and giving it all ur force into one last push, kind of a second wind. Any thoughts on that?

ReX357 is offline "Toughest & Best Looking Guy Around Here"
    If you have not already done so, refer to this thread:

http://forums.steroid.com/showthread.php?t=128817

Good luck

Dally is offline The Dally Lama
    what I used to do to up my bench and I did up 80 some odd pounds on my last cycle put up 455 for 3 at 230 pounds

If you can do 275 for a few then put on 315 for one... do that a couple of times and leave and when you come back 275 will feel lighter, if you go lighter when you pick up 275 it will feel/be heavier and you'll get nowhere.

IMO

Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired

ReX357 is offline "Toughest & Best Looking Guy Around Here"
    Sorry, I'm too fast for you Billy

Take a look two posts up

BlueAndromeda73 is offline Senior Member
    I would keep my back on the bench like mentioned above less chance of injury, also I find it more impressive, and your coach might as well, to not arc and use all the other muscles not intended for bench to get the weight up.

krownedroyal is offline New Member

Question

Quote Originally Posted by GQSuperman
    take creatine and some energy supplement before you lift (i used to take ultimate orange....but you could make your own eca stack). due to motivation and perhaps these supplements prior, i did 3 more reps with 225 than i ever had before.
    Hey bruh .How do you make your own E/C/A/ Stack. I'm curious?

Machdiesel is offline Anabolic Member
    howd u do???

brew035 is offline Associate Member
    Yall should check the dates on the threads LOL LOL LOL.

Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by ReX357
    Sorry, I'm too fast for you Billy

Take a look two posts up

Thread Information