Thread: Chest Isolation

DeaconBlue is offline New Member

Question Chest Isolation

I have a problem in getting my chest to grow. My shoulders, traps and tris are far more developed than my chest and always seem to carry the load when bench pressing. Those parts also respond really well and always have so they've simply grown while my chest has stayed under developed.

My question is what would be the best solution to isolate my pecs? Should I pre-exhaust shoulders and tri's first or is there a different exercise to limit their involvement? TIA

Deacon

BlueAndromeda73 is offline Senior Member
    what does your chest workout look like? Flyes and db are really good for isolation.

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Pre-exhaust your chest with Flyes first and see how you respond. Your form might be off also, letting your shoulders take the load. . .

Quote Originally Posted by BlueAndromeda73
    what does your chest workout look like? Flyes and db are really good for isolation.
    Superset x3
    Flat bench 6-8 reps
    Dumbell flys 6-8 reps

Superset x3
    Incline bench 6-8 reps
    Dumbell flys 6-8 reps

Decline press 6-8 reps

I've varied my routine over time, but have yet to find the best combination.

mass junkie is offline banned
    We'll need to see what your routine looks like before we can critique...or beeter yet...tell you what works for us.

Machdiesel is offline Anabolic Member
    i have a similar problem, i like to do dumbel flat, and keep my legs up on the bench, when you bring your weight down really focus on your form, and when you drive it up really flew your chest so u r only using ur pecs, i find keeping my feet up on the bench really help me to use only my pec. Form is a hudge part of isolating ur chest, another great method to isolate your chest is when pushin up on a barbelll bench try n rip the bar apart, keeping your elbows in but pushing up n trying to rip the besch apart outwrds, theres a link titled 12 ways to max your bench, many of these tips help isolate your chest

SayHelotomylilFriend is offline Associate Member
    I find this Chest workout overtrained....
    isn't it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    Pre-exhaust your chest with Flyes first and see how you respond. Your form might be off also, letting your shoulders take the load. . .
    I'm pretty sure my form suck @ss because I can feel it in my shoulders more than my chest during the press and I get big bruises between my shoulder blades even without going really heavy.

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    dont do supersets

try

incline barbell bench 3sets
    weighted dips 3sets
    dumbell flyes 3sets

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Remember to roll the shoulders "down and back" when you are pressing to make the chest "protrude" upward. You may have to lighten your load, I would, and focus on the chest doing the work, squeezing at the top, etc.

Avoid the barbell if you have this problem, it seems to work the shoulders directly as you are "locked into" the bar. D-bells can travel independently in a far better range of motion!

~SC~

ReX357 is offline "Toughest & Best Looking Guy Around Here"
    Use dumbells. I had the same problem and it works way better that way. See the 12 tips to a better bench post in the lifting forum. (Just below this one). This tips REALLY helped me. When you'll understand how it all works together you'll be like "Dammit, I lost all that time with my crappy form"

Thread Information