Thread: Elbow Pain...

BigJames is offline Senior Member

Elbow Pain...

Hey bros, I recall reading something about this before, but I could not find it in the search...

I am suffering from elbow pain in my right elbow. It hurts during any kind of extension movement - the pain is right around the "point" of my elbow. I think it is a little triceps tendonitis. My question is, how do I treat this? Obviously, I am avoiding movements that aggrivate it, but do you use ice? heat? supplementation? I am open to trying anything you guys can suggest...

It even hurts when I flex my arm to show off my muscles!

Thanks

ReX357 is offline "Toughest & Best Looking Guy Around Here"
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJames
    Hey bros, I recall reading something about this before, but I could not find it in the search...

I am suffering from elbow pain in my right elbow. It hurts during any kind of extension movement - the pain is right around the "point" of my elbow. I think it is a little triceps tendonitis. My question is, how do I treat this? Obviously, I am avoiding movements that aggrivate it, but do you use ice? heat? supplementation? I am open to trying anything you guys can suggest...

It even hurts when I flex my arm to show off my muscles!

Thanks
    Stop working out for two weeks. (You can still do legs) Apply ice for the first day, then alternate between ice and heat for the next days. Also, try supplementing with MSM.

Don't worry about loosing muscle or strenght in the upper body, if you have enough BCAA in your alimention (Usualy, your protein shakes have enough) you will not lose anything.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by ReX357
    Stop working out for two weeks. Apply ice for the first day, then alternate between ice and heat for the next days. Also, try supplementing with MSM.
    STOP FOR TWO WEEKS? Seriously? Even movements that do not seem to aggrivate the area? I am willing to do whatever it takes to heal, but I was not expecting to have to stop everything. So, I should just drop the weight-training for two weeks and just do cardio?

Cmore is offline Associate Member
    I've had some elbow pain before that sounds very similar. I would suggest ice if the area looks or feels swolen/puffy. After icing it for a while, when it seems it is no longer swolen, then try heat to loosen it back up again. If no swelling, try heat to get the pooled blood circulating out again. This is of course only my opinion and advice from my own personal experiences with playing baseball/lifting. Hope it helps.

Yeah, what Rex said about the ice/heat. He got his posted before I finished...

OK, I will take next week off of training and use ice / heat to try and solve this. I will also hit the glucosamine / condroitin / MSM stack to see if that helps. Anyone else with a suggestion?

I am still curious about other people's opinions on training areas that do not seem to agrivate the elbow...like legs and back.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJames
    OK, I will take next week off of training and use ice / heat to try and solve this. I will also hit the glucosamine / condroitin / MSM stack to see if that helps. Anyone else with a suggestion?

I am still curious about other people's opinions on training areas that do not seem to agrivate the elbow...like legs and back.
    As I told you earlier, legs are OK to do. The problem is using your arm. Even if it doesn't involve using the problematic muscle, you should rather just not use it at all. You're better safe than sorry.

I think legs should still be ok to work, and possibly back. But it's kindof hard to do many upper body exercises without putting at least some strain on an elbow. I'm curious to hear what Rex and others have to say on that too as I always have a good chance of having injured elbow from baseball...

D***. Rex is fast.

As I told you earlier, legs are OK to do. The problem is using your arm. Even if it doesn't involve using the problematic muscle, you should rather just not use it at all. You're better safe than sorry.
    I got you...thanks ReX357. I am not trying to be difficult, I am just trying to understand what I need to do to get better. I will probably skip everything for the two weeks, as with my luck I would strain this elbow loading the plates on the squat bar! I will hit the supplements today (MSM, etc.) and start the ice / heat ASAP. Is it ice first, then heat? Or heat first, then ice?

Stop working out for two weeks. (You can still do legs) Apply ice for the first day, then alternate between ice and heat for the next days. Also, try supplementing with MSM.

Don't worry about loosing muscle or strenght in the upper body, if you have enough BCAA in your alimention (Usualy, your protein shakes have enough) you will not lose anything.

Good luck.
    Sorry again Rex357, when I read this post before I did not even see the comments about upper body and BCAA's. I even quoted you and this part was left out...weird. Sorry, my bad. Thanks again for all your help. I will start this tonight. And I may leave legs in after all...they always lag anyway.

Yeah I edited my post shortly after. No problem man. Hope everything get's back to normal for you soon. I had the same kind of problem around my elbow but on the opposite part, near the bicep area.

Rest is what helps.

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Sounds like a bit of lateral tendonitis and possibly into the tricep tendon. Rest is key to curing tendonitis. You can train legs of course, in fact train them 2 times a week, hit your abs hard! Do not train it until you can flex without pain, however long it takes! Tendonitis is the swelling of a tendon, due to microscopic tears.. Rest heals those tears!

Quote Originally Posted by needmorestrength
    Sounds like a bit of lateral tendonitis and possibly into the tricep tendon. Rest is key to curing tendonitis. You can train legs of course, in fact train them 2 times a week, hit your abs hard! Do not train it until you can flex without pain, however long it takes! Tendonitis is the swelling of a tendon, due to microscopic tears.. Rest heals those tears!
    Thanks needmorestrength. I was just thinking I would hit legs twice a week for a couple of weeks and train abs and lower back (body weight hyperextensions). I will wait to hit the upper body until I can flex without pain. I had no idea this was from "tears" I thought it was just inflammed. I probably should not have pushed through the pain last week....doh.

Thread Information