wguttrid is offline Junior Member

Help Lower Back Pain from Squats

Hey group, yesterday day was leg day and did squats (which I do all the time). Used a power rack with the hooks to grab the bar instead of having someone spot me with just a bar. Always use either weights or 2x4 under my heels becuase I am guite tall. This is my first time ever using the power rack, so I placed the 2x4 on the ground where I thought it needed to be, did a couple warm ups and everythign felt good. Proceeded to go with my weight needed for 3 sets 8 reps. First set I did it thought I was standing too far back (weight was not in the ear, hip, knee, heel line. So next set I moved the 2x4 closer, still not enough. Didn;t feel right but sure as hell didn;t hurt.

My final set adjusted where I was standing and felt good. Well needless to say get home, eat, and flop on the couch and notice slowly my lower back starting to ache and ache. Go to bed and sleep a good 12 hours hoping this to fix me up. Well wake up this morning and still hurts, not unbearable just a uncormfotable pain that I have never felt before.

It is not so bad when I stretch forward, chest to kneess. But when I strect backwards (looking at the sky) it hurts. Just localized pain in my lower back. No pain shooting anywhere else.

Do you guys think it is either a pulled mucscle or did I screw my disks up??????Gonna go to a chiropractor tommorow (Monday) and see if this helps.

(Really hopiing I wake up feeling back to myself, but don;t think this is going to happen).

Thanks guys.

Luminaire is offline Associate Member
    ive noticed that lower back gets a 'different' type of sore than any part of my body. Few weeks ago i really maxed out with deadlifts, without wearing a belt (which by the way i would advise you use one if you werent when you did squats), anyway..big mistake. My lower back was KILLING me, and the next day it hurt even more, different kind of hurt than my back was feeling (not really a burning feeling). I was walking around bitching the whole day like an old man. Anyway took like 3-4 days but it started feeling better. If you really think you messed something up than definitely go see a chiropractor dont wait, but if it feels like more of a 'straining' feeling than you might want to just wait it out

wild-one is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wguttrid
    Used a power rack with the hooks to grab the bar instead of having someone spot me with just a bar. Always use either weights or 2x4 under my heels becuase I am guite tall. This is my first time ever using the power rack, so I placed the 2x4 on the ground where I thought it needed to be, did a couple warm ups and everythign felt good. Proceeded to go with my weight needed for 3 sets 8 reps. First set I did it thought I was standing too far weight was not in the ear, hip, knee, heel line. So next set I moved the 2x4 closer, still not enough. Didn;t feel right but sure as hell didn;t hurt.

My final set adjusted where I was standing and felt good. Well needless to say get home, eat, and flop on the couch and notice slowly my lower back starting to ache and ache. Go to bed and sleep a good 12 hours hoping this to fix me up. Well wake up this morning and still hurts, not unbearable just a uncormfotable pain that I have never felt before.
    This description sounds like you were using a smith machine, not a power rack? Which were you using? If you're in a power rack...there'd be no reason to move the 2x4...you'd just move yourself over the 2x4....If you were using a smith machine, I can see having to adjust the position of the 2x4 in order to squat properly. I could be just reading you wrong...if I am...sorry. If you were squatting in the smith machine...definitely try getting yourself into a power rack...your lower back and your body...in terms of general progress...will like you more.

(again...sorry if I'm reading all that wrong )

Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    Another point id like to bring up is putting your heels on blocks. Not a great idea. it puts you in a vulnerable position and is really bad for youe knees.

Yes sorry it was in a smith machine, normally always do it in a power rack and really wish I would have not tried the smith machine now.

Just went to a chiropractor. It looks like I have a possible disc problem. He is telling me to do these extension excercises every two hours (involves laying face down, and push up with your hands like a pushup but just arch the back to stretch it out). Gonna see him again on Wednesday and Friday, he is also saying I can still hit the gym but must be very careful with my back. He suggested cardio would be the best such as walking.

Really hoping by Friday this helps cure me, he doen;t think it is too bad but will no more by Wednesday and Friday once he see me again.

Must say I have the shittiest luck, been going so great for the last three months with out any stupid injuries, oh well. If anything a few days off from the gym will give me some rest and should come back stronger!

Anyone else have any back problems that makes life a bitch?

Quote Originally Posted by wguttrid
    Yes sorry it was in a smith machine, normally always do it in a power rack and really wish I would have not tried the smith machine now.
    Yeah...stick to full squats in a power rack

I screwed my lower back up leaning back too far while I was training someone...sucked big time...healed up nice though....give it some time and make sure you're not working through any pain.

G-Force is offline Anabolic Member
    its the other way round for me
    doing squats free style absolutely kills my lower back whereas smith machine is so much easier

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Your spinal column is misaligned. The chiro will do wonders. Lesson learned..

anabolicwannabe is offline Associate Member
    yeah and i prefer the smith because i can definitely go 90degrees on my squat with no fear of falling. feels much safer when you don't have a spotter.

One wouldn't need a spotter if they were squatting the right amount of weight

diezell is offline Senior Member
    "One wouldn't need a spotter if they were squatting the right amount of weight "

i disagree with this a spotter is always helpful because you never know what can happen during the lift and myself i like to push myself till i cant do another rep so a spotter can make sure i rack the bar properly without getting hurt

Well yes...in that instance you'd need a spotter, but training to failure is over-rated and over-used and certainly isn't necessary for progress. I would much rather reap the benefits of doing full squats w/ a weight I know I can handle...than load up the smith w/ a bunch of weight and only get half the benefits...or even quarter/parallel squating in a power rack. But to each their own I guess

Well it is Thursday, has been 5 days and back has almost fully recooperated. Gonna try and workout on Monday and see how I feel. Gonna be careful with any excercises I do that work my back. Basically gonna take any thing that effects my back out for all of next week. Back does not hurt anymore, more of a good sore now. Not the stinging sharp pain it was earlier this week.

Just glad to be feeling better!

Week has been nice off in a way but feel guilty sitting at home, being lazy.

I am on a cycle, this is my 10th week, still have 2-4 weeks left. Do you think I have really ****ed my cycle up by taking this week off and having to revise my routine big time next week?????

anabolicwannabe is offline Associate Member
    wild-one: yeah no worries, we all have our own ways i guess. but i was referring to the spotter more for safety reasons than weight..

O.T
    O.T is offline Associate Member
    I used to get my back really sore from doing squats and I could not figure out what it was.... 1 I had a weak lower back and 2 I put the weight on my toes instead of my heels...

on your back day, be sure to work your lower back and put the weight on your heels and use good form it should help some

Thread Information