TimeToGetBig27 is offline Junior Member

4Day - Split routine, Critique please

I'm around 5'10 170lb's, and only taking protein, i'm posting my current split workout routine and hope to get some input on it.

MondayLats, shoulders, traps
    Lat rows, 3 sets
    Lat pulldowns, 3 sets
    Dumbell shrugs, 3 sets
    Barbell shrugs, 3 sets
    Shoulder press, 3 sets
    Military press, 3 sets

TuesdayBicept, Tricept
    Hammer curls, 3 sets
    2Handed Cable curls, 3 sets
    1Handed cable curls (Towards chest), 3 sets
    Preacher curl, 3 sets
    Close grip benching, 3 sets
    Pushdowns, 3 sets
    Rope pushdowns, 3 sets

Wed Off day

ThursChest, Abs
    Flat bench, 3 sets
    Incline, 3 sets
    Decline, 3 sets
    Peck deck, 3 sets
    Weighted decline situps, 3 sets
    12lb med ball decline side 2 side, 3 sets
    Crunches, 3 sets
    leg raises, 3 sets

FridayLegs, Forearms
    15min cardio
    Extensions, 3 sets
    Curls, 3 sets
    toe raises, 3 sets
    leg press, 3 sets
    Farmer grip, 3 sets (30secs of till fail)
    Dumball Forearm curls, 3 sets
    Barbell Forearm curls, 3sets
    Two 10lb weights finger tip pinches, 3sets (30secs or till fail)

Any thoughts?

bigdogc is offline Associate Member
    do squats on leg days, or front squats. but other than that i like it, especially the arm day routine, i may try that routine for my arms day.

Njectable is offline Member
    instead of just hitting lats with shoulders i'd dedicate a day to your entire back, and add deadlifts and maybe another exercise for your back your back so u have about 12 sets or so, also for yours traps i wouldn't do db and bb shrugs, just pick one and then maybe do upright rows to hit ur traps as well? and like bigdog said u should add some squats into your leg workout
    your routine looks pretty decent, but thats what i'd do,i'm also on a 4 day split my days are kind of ****ed cuz i work 10 hours days and monday,wednesday, friday i can't work out after work so my routine is;

tuesday- chest/triceps
    thursday-legs/forearms
    saturday-back/biceps
    sunday-shoulders/traps

and then days i don't goto the gym i will usually do some weighted ab exercises just at home, i use to have 1 day just dedicated to arms like ur routine when i was going 5 days a week, but i find that if you split your routine like chest/triceps and back/biceps you will notice more of a difference, atleast i did, and my arms were never really sore the next day when i was doing them on their own but now that i split them with chest and back i feel it alot more the following days.. but u hafta figure out what works well for u... good luck

Yeah, i was doing something similar to your workout with chest/tri's, and back/bi's but i found that isolation just the arms in a single day left me in more pain the next day and the gains seemed to be better, i may switch back but not for a few weeks.

Njectable is offline Member
    ya like i said whatever u find works better for u

Aside from adding squats into the workout, oh god how i dread them.. any other suggestions guys?

HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    be careful of body falling on consecutive days becuase of indirect training. (ex. mon:lats, tue:bi's) whatch this becuase these are small bodyparts and are easily overtrained and will regress as opposed to progress.

Are there any signs of overtraining? being sore is a part of working out, but it there a point where its too much? As they say, no pain no gain.

you're using that expression too loosely, and that'll lead to lagging bodyparts, for example, i want really wide shoulders, so i worked them like crazy for like 2 years to the point where they're so over worked that they havent grown in like a year. I have even hit them directly in 3 weeks and im actually starting to see a little bit of growth in them. so what does this tell you, when it comes to bodybuilding, less is is "usually" more, and "o pain no gain" only in the gym but rest outside the gym and make sure that your body is sufficiently recovered or you'll hit a plateau very quick!

Yeah, i only work each body part a week as you can see i know i hit a couple minor muscle groups the next day but iv seriously been consider cutting back on the arms, iv gotten results but mostly toneing not bulk. Also any idea of turning my 4-day into a 5-day split hollywood, or anyone for that matter?

Guess i should of added this, i lost a lot of power in my chest (I.e i cant bench as much as i used to be able to should i throw chest in twice a week?) Only days i can workout are mon-fri

Quote Originally Posted by TimeToGetBig27
    Guess i should of added this, i lost a lot of power in my chest (I.e i cant bench as much as i used to be able to should i throw chest in twice a week?) Only days i can workout are mon-fri
    especially because you're not on AS, that wont help your chest out bro, change your exercises around, sets, and reps and that may/should spark some growth!

Yeah, i only work each body part a week as you can see i know i hit a couple minor muscle groups the next day but iv seriously been consider cutting back on the arms, iv gotten results but mostly toneing not bulk. Also any idea of turning my 4-day into a 5-day split hollywood, or anyone for that matter?
    you can give this a try...

day1-chest
    day2-back
    day3-off
    day4-shoulders
    day5-arms
    day6-legs
    day7-off

i would just try to find the best split that accomidates your lagging bodyparts(putting them first in the week) and then trying to arrange your bodyparts so they dont interfere with eachother!

day1-chest -> Good
    day2-back -> Good
    day3-off ->Shoulders
    day4-shoulders -> Arms
    day5-arms -> Legs
    day6-legs -> Off
    day7-off -> Off

I think im going to change my routine starting to something like that tomorrow, but i just see a problem with shoulders by itsself, currently i only do shoulder press, miltiary press, and normally thats about it, any ideas for one more exersize. And i think i may throw forearms in there aswell and isolate legs and get in those squats.

day1-chest -> Good
    day2-back -> Good
    day3-off ->Shoulders
    day4-shoulders -> Arms
    day5-arms -> Legs
    day6-legs -> Off
    day7-off -> Off

I think im going to change my routine starting to something like that tomorrow, but i just see a problem with shoulders by itsself, currently i only do shoulder press, miltiary press, and normally thats about it, any ideas for one more exersize. And i think i may throw forearms in there aswell and isolate legs and get in those squats.
    give your shoulders 48hours between back and chest

Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    I'm around 5'10 170lb's, and only taking protein, i'm posting my current split workout routine and hope to get some input on it.

Any thoughts?
    Personally i dont like it. I think you are doing too much work in certian areas and combining exercises on days that should be dedicated to only one musclegroup/ area of the body.
    Think about these things.

1. You use your rear delts when doing back exercises/ rows etc. So you want to exercise them on back day as they are already being used

2. If you dont use straps your forearms are bing used alot on back day holding the bars etc so you will want to train them on back day

3.Your front delts will be being utilised when doing presses so you will want to incorporate them into chest day.

4. Your abs will be being used to stabilise yourself when squatting and deadlifting. Me personally i include them on leg day.

5. Your biceps are going to be being used on back day wether you are rowing, doing pullups etc

6. Your triceps will be being used on chest day while pressing, pushing etc.

So for me i would suggest training:

Workout 1:back, bis, traps rear delts and forarms

Workout 2: chest, triceps front and side delts, calves

Workout 3: quads, hams and abs

This isnt a regular 7 day split and can be a little confusing, but i find it works.

Thanks for the imput, personally i don't like doing the same muscle groups on the same day i don't know if this is good or bad, but i find that when i did Chest/Tri's, when i was done my benching my tri's couldn't work as hard as they normally do or got the same burn. anyone else agree/disagree with that? What do you guys think is better, same muscle groups on the same day such as Chest/Tri's, Back/Bi's or isolating just the arms in that day and doing Bi's/Tri's, and chest alone or with abs.

Thread Information