Thread: vacuum

bor
    bor is offline D-bol Poppin'

vacuum

Is it supossed to be an exercise or is it just a pose?

How do you learn/train to do that?

BlueAndromeda73 is offline Senior Member
    Arnold had a section on this in his book "Arnold Schwarzengger's Boldybuilding Encyclopedia" Basically he said that he practiced it for the pose, he would get down on all fours and suck in his stomach as far as possible and hold it for about 10 seconds, then let it out and repeat. Hope this helps, for more detail you should check out the book it has been very helpful to me.

Testsubject is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueAndromeda73
    Arnold had a section on this in his book "Arnold Schwarzengger's Boldybuilding Encyclopedia" Basically he said that he practiced it for the pose, he would get down on all fours and suck in his stomach as far as possible and hold it for about 10 seconds, then let it out and repeat. Hope this helps, for more detail you should check out the book it has been very helpful to me.
    hmmmm, interesting, im not try to hijack but what is the purpose of doing this? Better control over your abs Im guessing.

Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    i practice vaccumes on abs day. I have been able to hit them sice i was a tot. Just suck your abdomen in and up. I think it may be a little bit like rolling your touunge, some cant do it others can.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    They do not do vacuums nowadays in shows.. like yesteryear past.

SuperChicken1 is offline Junior Member
    I was told to do these ab vacuums because I am lean except in my abdomen... the idea was that sucking my stomach in for 60 seconds at a time several times a day every day would pull that annoying pot belly in over time.

SuperChicken1

BlueAndromeda73 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Testsubject
    hmmmm, interesting, im not try to hijack but what is the purpose of doing this? Better control over your abs Im guessing.

That and when they used to use this in posing it helped give more of the thin waist massive chest/shoulder/back area illusion.

BigJames is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperChicken1
    I was told to do these ab vacuums because I am lean except in my abdomen... the idea was that sucking my stomach in for 60 seconds at a time several times a day every day would pull that annoying pot belly in over time.

SuperChicken1
    I do not think that this would accomplish much in the application you describe above. In the old days (as BlueThunder mentioned above) the guys would hold vacuums for most poses to make the waist look smaller and shoulders and v-taper more impressive. Check out any pose from a builder prior to about 1981 and you will see what I am talking about. Arnold pulled a slight vacuum in almost every pose and Frank Zane was famous for a arm above and behind head vacuum pose that is quite the thing to see. I do not think the builders now need to do this 1) because they are soo massive now, and 2) because I am not sure they can do it...there is a lot more abdominal dessention now...IMO.

Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJames
    I do not think that this would accomplish much in the application you describe above. In the old days (as BlueThunder mentioned above) the guys would hold vacuums for most poses to make the waist look smaller and shoulders and v-taper more impressive. Check out any pose from a builder prior to about 1981 and you will see what I am talking about. Arnold pulled a slight vacuum in almost every pose and Frank Zane was famous for a arm above and behind head vacuum pose that is quite the thing to see. I do not think the builders now need to do this 1) because they are soo massive now, and 2) because I am not sure they can do it...there is a lot more abdominal dessention now...IMO.
    Chris cormier still hits them. Shawn Ray hit them he only retired in 2001.

Thread Information