HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member

hypertrophy training

ive always trainined in the low rep range, and have been researching about the higher end reps lately, mostly 8-10 is the range i like based on the research done on and how effective it is for the hypertrophy of muscle fibers. In the research ive read it basically says one aspect of training like this is that this rep range increase protein synthesis dramatically compared to other ranges but also says that higher volume training is also responsible for this increased protein synthesis, is this accurate info, just kind of weary abou this since the new motto is "less is more" in the world of bodybuilding, can you guys clear this up for me because im not totally uderstanding why higher volume or more sets will produce more gains(according to some info ive read) i understand why 8-10 is better suited to grow becuase the longer time the muscle is under tension etc, but the higher sets is what im unclear on, can you guys clear this up form me...thanx

Testsubject is offline Anabolic Member
    It all about the over all load on your muscles and the time your muscle are under tention so more sets/more reps=more tension on your muscles, it really has nothing to do with the weight on the bar. You pretty much answered your own question.

so what you're saying is i should up the number of sets then in order to produce more hypertrophy and that the research i read is accurate...?

ReX357 is offline "Toughest & Best Looking Guy Around Here"
    In my book, upping the number of sets is looking for overtraining...

Up the number of reps if you want but not the number of sets.

But it's just my opinion...

Testsubject is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ReX357
    In my book, upping the number of sets is looking for overtraining...

Up the number of reps if you want but not the number of sets.

But it's just my opinion...
    I agree with this as well, up the number of reps but keep the number of sets the same. The only way you would up the sets is if you were doing low reps.

Quote Originally Posted by Testsubject
    I agree with this as well, up the number of reps but keep the number of sets the same. The only way you would up the sets is if you were doing low reps.

that was raising another question i had also, if i were to lower the reps but raise the number of sets, which method do you guys think would be more effective?

Thread Information