Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    flexgolf is offline Member

Am I doing enough sets?

Hello all. I have been reading a lot of old posts pertaining to overtraining. Over the last year I have tried to reduce my workout volume to help get over some long-lived plateaus. I am wondering If my current workouts have enough volume. I would consider myself to be an intermediate lifter; which in my eyes implies that I know how to correctly perform exercises, I have worked out for 4 years and I have made decent strides (but much lower than I think I am capable of). Below I have jotted down my back/bis and chest/tris/shoulders workout which I do once a week each. Let me know what you think about these workout routines. All these sets are "balls to the wall" and I will neglect to write down my warm up sets.

Back/Bis
    lat pulls- 3 sets (6-8 reps)
    Low rows (cable rows)- 3 sets (6-8 reps)
    Dead-lifts- 2 sets (6-8)
    Barbell Curls- 3 sets (6-8 reps)
    Hammer curls-3 sets (6-8 reps)

Chest/Tris/Shoulders
    Bench press (or flat bench dumbell press) -3 sets (6-8 reps)
    Incline press (or with dumbells) - 2 sets (6-8 reps)
    Shoulder press (with dumbells, barbell, or some other machine)-2 sets (6-8)
    Tricep pushdowns- 3 sets (6-8 reps)
    Skulls - 3 sets (6-8 reps)

I have left out legs because that particular workout is not worth analyzing at the moment....save that scenario for another thread

ReX357 is offline "Toughest & Best Looking Guy Around Here"
    Looking good to me.

Now, the real question, which is maybe what is hindering your gains:

Is your diet in check?

Quote Originally Posted by ReX357
    Looking good to me.

Now, the real question, which is maybe what is hindering your gains:

Is your diet in check?
    good question....honestly I don't think I know enough to tell ya if my diet is in check. I basically only eat whole grain/wheat carb sources, I eat zero sweets or other junk, I eat a lot of lean meats, probably not enough vegetables and fruits. So In general I eat a lot of good foods, but probably not everything I need. Do you know of any good food guides to follow?

seems a bit too low mann.... 2 sets for incline you said? why not 4 sets for each exercise, 3 exercises per body part except bi's and legs ofcourse.

ReX357 is offline "Toughest & Best Looking Guy Around Here"
    Quote Originally Posted by flexgolf
    good question....honestly I don't think I know enough to tell ya if my diet is in check. I basically only eat whole grain/wheat carb sources, I eat zero sweets or other junk, I eat a lot of lean meats, probably not enough vegetables and fruits. So In general I eat a lot of good foods, but probably not everything I need. Do you know of any good food guides to follow?
    Yes!!! Hit the diet forum now!!! It is lower in the forums listing pages, just above "The Lounge"

Go there and check the stickies at the top. You are looking for a "Gain lean mass" kind of diet

Good luck bro!

AnabolicBoy1981 is offline Anabolic Member
    i find that one excersise per bodypart for one set works best for me, not counting warm ups. Usually on chest i do two excersises and pre-exhaust with the first one. But do whatever works for ya.
    Peace.

yerg is offline Associate Member
    everyone is different, but I can tell you I have more sets in my routine. I would throw in another exercise (3 sets of it) on each muscle group you listed. Especially bis....

yerg is offline Associate Member
    remember intensity...

HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    what does the layout for that routine look like throughout the week?

Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD
    what does the layout for that routine look like throughout the week?

Monday-Chest/tris
    tues-off
    wednesday-off
    thurs-back/bis
    friday-legs
    sat-off
    sun-off

Quote Originally Posted by yerg
    remember intensity...
    All the sets listed above are of the highest intensity

Quote Originally Posted by yerg
    everyone is different, but I can tell you I have more sets in my routine. I would throw in another exercise (3 sets of it) on each muscle group you listed. Especially bis....

why should I especially add to bis? Can you jot down your routine on this thread for me?

Quote Originally Posted by ReX357
    Yes!!! Hit the diet forum now!!! It is lower in the forums listing pages, just above "The Lounge"

Go there and check the stickies at the top. You are looking for a "Gain lean mass" kind of diet

Good luck bro!
    much appreciated, i have some reading to do

Quote Originally Posted by El Jugo Buen0
    seems a bit too low mann.... 2 sets for incline you said? why not 4 sets for each exercise, 3 exercises per body part except bi's and legs ofcourse.
    Well if I do 3 sets for a flat press, and 3 sets for incline press, shouldnt 6 sets for the chest be enough? I realize that pecs can generally be divided into 2 regions, but incline still hits a large majority of the pec region. Strangely enough, my pecs have grown better than any other region of my upper body.

should I do more than 6 sets for triceps too??? I have read otherwise. Take into account that all of these sets are "hardcore"

well i mean you should always try to switch up your routine. you may find that while you can grow with your current workout, maybe a few more sets here and there would be even more beneficial. try it out.

if you're hitting each muscle 1x/week you should add more sets in there and spread your routine out more. 12 sets for bigger groups and 6-8 smaller would be suffice. you wont overtrain with this if your diet and sleep is in check. too hard to maintain intensity when doing 3 bodyparts/day

if you're hitting each muscle 1x/week you should add more sets in there and spread your routine out more. 12 sets for bigger groups and 6-8 smaller would be suffice. you wont overtrain with this if your diet and sleep is in check. too hard to maintain intensity when doing 3 bodyparts/day
    Thanks for the advice. How would you spread my week out better? I prefer working chest and tris together, along with back and bis together because i think they compliment eachother well, but i may be able to change it up if i think you or someone else can propose a better split. any reccomendations would be useful.

well i mean you should always try to switch up your routine. you may find that while you can grow with your current workout, maybe a few more sets here and there would be even more beneficial. try it out.

point taken, thanks for your input

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    Hello all. I have been reading a lot of old posts pertaining to overtraining. Over the last year I have tried to reduce my workout volume to help get over some long-lived plateaus. I am wondering If my current workouts have enough volume. I would consider myself to be an intermediate lifter; which in my eyes implies that I know how to correctly perform exercises, I have worked out for 4 years and I have made decent strides (but much lower than I think I am capable of). Below I have jotted down my back/bis and chest/tris/shoulders workout which I do once a week each. Let me know what you think about these workout routines. All these sets are "balls to the wall" and I will neglect to write down my warm up sets.

Back/Bis
    lat pulls- 3 sets (6-8 reps)
    Low rows (cable rows)- 3 sets (6-8 reps)
    Dead-lifts- 2 sets (6-8)
    Barbell Curls- 3 sets (6-8 reps)
    Hammer curls-3 sets (6-8 reps)

Chest/Tris/Shoulders
    Bench press (or flat bench dumbell press) -3 sets (6-8 reps)
    Incline press (or with dumbells) - 2 sets (6-8 reps)
    Shoulder press (with dumbells, barbell, or some other machine)-2 sets (6-8)
    Tricep pushdowns- 3 sets (6-8 reps)
    Skulls - 3 sets (6-8 reps)

I have left out legs because that particular workout is not worth analyzing at the moment....save that scenario for another thread
    i think its perfect very similar to min but i would do one more set of incline and one more set of shoulder press

Hey did you get ur avatar from one of saluus pics? ?

juicyr6 is offline Junior Member
    your volume is just fine, and you frequency is very fine too bro...i grow better with lees volume than you and the same frequency (3times a week)...what is your problem now? are u gaining at what u think a slow rate? did u hit a plateau?
    i think the 2 biggest mistakes bodybuilders do is overtraining and undereating, and i def. dont think undertraining either...i think ur diet might needs to be re-evaluated.
    you could however try to increase your rep scheme to maybe 8-12 reps.
    oh and dont forget progressive overloading either...a lot of people tend to forget that...they go to the gym year in year out and bench 225lbs year in year out, and then they wonder why they still look the same.

if you like chest/tris,back bis then do something like this

chest/tri
    off
    back/bi
    off
    shoulder/traps
    legs
    off

also I feel once you add in those new sets you wont be able to have days like chest/tri's, back/bi's, so you might want to just put bi's/tri's one day, back/shoulders another, chest by itself, and then legs.

i dont now about back/shoudler the same day ....

Quote Originally Posted by taiboxa
    i think its perfect very similar to min but i would do one more set of incline and one more set of shoulder press

Hey did you get ur avatar from one of saluus pics? ?
    i dont know who or what saluus is, but no thats an original from my old web cam (take about 2 years ago), i have others too and plan to take some more after a month or so!

also I feel once you add in those new sets you wont be able to have days like chest/tri's, back/bi's, so you might want to just put bi's/tri's one day, back/shoulders another, chest by itself, and then legs.

give me a 7 day split to think about

if you like chest/tris,back bis then do something like this

chest/tri
    off
    back/bi
    off
    shoulder/traps
    legs
    off
    Seems like a good split, my only beef would be that my chest workouts really work my shoulders hard. by doing shoulders/traps on 5th day, I doubt my shoulders will be recovered before my chest workout on the first day of the next week. any other reccomendations?

Quote Originally Posted by juicyr6
    your volume is just fine, and you frequency is very fine too bro...i grow better with lees volume than you and the same frequency (3times a week)...what is your problem now? are u gaining at what u think a slow rate? did u hit a plateau?
    i think the 2 biggest mistakes bodybuilders do is overtraining and undereating, and i def. dont think undertraining either...i think ur diet might needs to be re-evaluated.
    you could however try to increase your rep scheme to maybe 8-12 reps.
    oh and dont forget progressive overloading either...a lot of people tend to forget that...they go to the gym year in year out and bench 225lbs year in year out, and then they wonder why they still look the same.
    Thanks for the informative reply. Can you further describe this concept about progressive overloading.....to be honest, I am unfamiliar with it. The term is almost self explanatory, but I dont know of any techniques or methods pertaining to this theory.

RJstrong is offline Senior Member
    that would be no where near enough sets for me, but then again I devote a whole workout just for deadlifts. how would you rate your level of fitness..... beginner, intermediate, advanced. i think you will need to increase your volume eventually to take it to the next level, if that is what you want... and you must get your leg training up to par. good luck... trial and error is all part of the process!

Quote Originally Posted by RJstrong
    that would be no where near enough sets for me, but then again I devote a whole workout just for deadlifts. how would you rate your level of fitness..... beginner, intermediate, advanced. i think you will need to increase your volume eventually to take it to the next level, if that is what you want... and you must get your leg training up to par. good luck... trial and error is all part of the process!
    I would say I am at a high fitness level (advanced). I used to train harder, much more volume, but I didnt see gains....could have been other factors like sleep and diet (i was in college...). So much experimenting to do! But i dont wanna waste any training time.

RJstrong is offline Senior Member
    I would say I am at a high fitness level (advanced). I used to train harder, much more volume, but I didnt see gains....could have been other factors like sleep and diet (i was in college...). So much experimenting to do! But i dont wanna waste any training time.
    It's not easy putting it all together is it! most critical is diet then proper rest and training. I do a high volume of training, but I train for powerlifting so our goals may be different. I like a high volume on the basics bench, squats, deads, and change my assistance work each week trying to tackle the weak points using much less volume. I really like a split that allows me 3 days of rest each week. hey man I wish you luck and I understand the feeling of not wanting to waste time. stay determined and if you feel that a change is needed i say come to the darkside and train like a powerlifter! i am really shameless in my attempt in trying to create converts.......

Quote Originally Posted by RJstrong
    It's not easy putting it all together is it! most critical is diet then proper rest and training. I do a high volume of training, but I train for powerlifting so our goals may be different. I like a high volume on the basics bench, squats, deads, and change my assistance work each week trying to tackle the weak points using much less volume. I really like a split that allows me 3 days of rest each week. hey man I wish you luck and I understand the feeling of not wanting to waste time. stay determined and if you feel that a change is needed i say come to the darkside and train like a powerlifter! i am really shameless in my attempt in trying to create converts.......
    I have considered it, but I really dont even know where to start....

YVR
    YVR is offline Junior Member
    I'd also have to say the timing of meals and diet is important. The routine looks good. You could try:

Monday: Chest
    Tuesday: Legs
    Wednesday:Shoulders
    Thursday:Bicepts & tricepts
    Friday: Back
    Saturday: Cardio
    Sunday: Off

Eat right after you work out. Try 2 chicken breasts or a shake.

you are right progressive overload is self explanatory ...just aim to getting stronger every time u do that same exercise...in a nutshell, just try to put 5 or 10 more pounds or do 2 more reps with the same weight.

Quote Originally Posted by juicyr6
    you are right progressive overload is self explanatory ...just aim to getting stronger every time u do that same exercise...in a nutshell, just try to put 5 or 10 more pounds or do 2 more reps with the same weight.
    oh ok, go big or go home

yeah kinda like that

the workout looks solid, but I would change it up every 6-8 weeks, either the rep scheme or number of sets, keep the body guessing

Quote Originally Posted by stayinstacked
    the workout looks solid, but I would change it up every 6-8 weeks, either the rep scheme or number of sets, keep the body guessing
    thanks for the advice....i must admit i have been on this split for a longer than 2 months, can u reccomend a specific change (or changes) to my current routine

Seems like a good split, my only beef would be that my chest workouts really work my shoulders hard. by doing shoulders/traps on 5th day, I doubt my shoulders will be recovered before my chest workout on the first day of the next week. any other reccomendations?
    chest/tri
    back/bis
    off
    shoulder/traps
    legs
    off
    off

chest/tri
    back/bis
    off
    shoulder/traps
    legs
    off
    off
    thanks for the reply, i think this may be my next split

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    chest/tri
    back/bis
    off
    shoulder/traps
    legs
    off
    off
    i like
    back/bis
    chest/tri
    rest
    legs
    shoulders
    rest
    rest
    FOR ONE REASON... Chest on MONDAYS = NO BENCHS available.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information