wired-up is offline Member

MYTH: It takes 20 minutes of cardio to start burning fat

This was taken from the June 2005 issue of Men's Fitness:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MYTH: It takes 20 minutes of cardio to start burning fat-cardio-myth-2.jpg  

HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    ive read research done on this and most of it does say that about 20 min will use glyco stores then after begin tapping into BF

HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    p.s> you cant take mags serious the info is for the neive, only worth reading is MD

slopland is offline New Member
    Hollywood is correct. Every class I've taken and research I've read backs this. Overall, to lose fat you need to create a caloric deficit but in order to maintain muscle mass, you need to keep is in the -300 to -500 range and have a clean diet. But, if you go to the lab, there is a machine that tests what fuel your body is using. Cant remember the name of it, but we had to run it. Its based on a number scale with .5 being fat burned .7 being a mix and 1 being carbs/max threshold. It measures your VCO2 (oxygen/CO2 exchange and the ratio it exchanges). At around 75% of your functional capacity you begin buring carbs as your primary fuel. 50-70% you will burn fat, but you have to stay on the treadmill longer in order to burn your target amount of cals. Doesnt really matter if your do 60% for 45 min or 80% for 20 min, as long as you create the deficit. Me personally, I enjoy the 60% for 45 minutes for a couple of reasons. 1. i'm not planning on competing in a 5K and 2). It helps me to preserve the glycogen stores and prevent glycogen and protein breakdown!! (but if I have a short timespan to spend that day, I'll go with the 20min.

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slopland
    Hollywood is correct. Every class I've taken and research I've read backs this. Overall, to lose fat you need to create a caloric deficit but in order to maintain muscle mass, you need to keep is in the -300 to -500 range and have a clean diet. But, if you go to the lab, there is a machine that tests what fuel your body is using. Cant remember the name of it, but we had to run it. Its based on a number scale with .5 being fat burned .7 being a mix and 1 being carbs/max threshold. It measures your VCO2 (oxygen/CO2 exchange and the ratio it exchanges). At around 75% of your functional capacity you begin buring carbs as your primary fuel. 50-70% you will burn fat, but you have to stay on the treadmill longer in order to burn your target amount of cals. Doesnt really matter if your do 60% for 45 min or 80% for 20 min, as long as you create the deficit. Me personally, I enjoy the 60% for 45 minutes for a couple of reasons. 1. i'm not planning on competing in a 5K and 2). It helps me to preserve the glycogen stores and prevent glycogen and protein breakdown!! (but if I have a short timespan to spend that day, I'll go with the 20min.
    Yeah bro, it is a Metabolic Cart that measure your Respiratory Exchange Ratio. The article is right, you never utilize just one fuel source. You are always burning a mixture. However, this mixture is highly dependent upon intensity and duration. At lower intensities, you are burning a higher ratio of fat due to oxygen availability. It does in fact take several minutes for lipolysis to begin, because it is a slow process. . .

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Question:

Although I don't mind copy/paste articles for debate, why is this all that you are doing lately?

Do you ever think/read for yourself in any other media other than bb'ing magazines?

It just gets old refuting b.s. like this.

Magazine information is 99% of the time WHACK and is just placed there to take up space and sell products. This is pretty much COMMON KNOWLEDGE in the fitness industry.

~SC~

xenithon is offline Member
    OMG - I won't even start on this one

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    What if doing the first 10 minutes high intensity to quickly burn of any carbs and then drop it down. Would this work on a highly carb restricted diet(like the cutting sticky in the diet forum)?

wired-up is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Question:

Although I don't mind copy/paste articles for debate, why is this all that you are doing lately?
    because i just got finished with finals and before that, i didn't have much time to spend on the boards.

Do you ever think/read for yourself in any other media other than bb'ing magazines?
    yes i do, and i'm always open to suggestions. learning should never stop.

It just gets old refuting b.s. like this.
    sorry you feel that way.

Magazine information is 99% of the time WHACK and is just placed there to take up space and sell products. This is pretty much COMMON KNOWLEDGE in the fitness industry.

~SC~
    as i said in the other thread, i posted this mainly for discussion sake. i never said i agreed with it. this article is technically correct though. you do burn fat before 20minutes reached. it may not be as efficient as after 20 minutes and lypolysis kicks in, but you do still burn SOME fat. i read Men's Fitness cause it gives me some good entertainment to read while i'm on the ellipticle machine. they occasionally have some decent info in there, but most of the time, it's just for entertainment for me. you also have to consider who the magazine is written for. this one's for the average joe that doesn't have a clue about any diet or exercise. for him, their average meals and seemingly random workouts will produce drastic improvements over what he was doing before which was not working out and stuffing 1/4lb combo meals every day. then again, not everyone wants to look like the guy on the front of Muscular Development either.

Thread Information