Puffader is offline Senior Member

Need Help growing legs without squats, hack squats or deads-->

I have 2 herniated disk in my lower back and I can now longer do squats or even hack squats but have no problems doing leg presses.

My issue now is, I can leg press (Twenty) 45lb plates for 8 clean reps. I've maxed out the machine at worlds gym but my legs are only 29" each. I'm 6'2" 238 lbs. I was thinking about trying lighter weight for higher reps but I would hate to loose what little size is there now. this is just pissing me off because there are guys there with huge legs only pressing 16 plates. I wish I could do squats again! Everything else grows. They look great but just too small compared to my upper body.

4U2NV is offline Associate Member
    I would say SOL! but realize that there are other exercises. I am sure you already do leg ext, leg curls. But you could try weighted lunges with dumbbells in your hands, also step ups the same way. Choices are really limited with out loading of the back some how. So good luck.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Actually, I use a leg method as my staple that is in the 20 rep range that absolutely KILLS the quads/legs in general, and adds nice size. Many here at this very message board have used what I've written/shared on this type of workout, and if you do a search for "SwoleCat's Leg Routine" you will find all you need to know. You'll use the hamstring curl, leg extensions (both moderate, never heavy especially leg extensions), then you'll finish off w/the leg press. Normally you finish off w/squats or smith machine squats, but you can use the leg press w/much of the same results as well.

May wanna try it!

~SC~

J.S.N. is offline Anabolic Member
    yeah preexhaustion would be a great technique if you're outta weights.

Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    squat with a belt

you stand on big blocks with a weight belt

no pressure on your back, but you still do squats

obviously its gonna be difficult to get as much weight on a belt, but its better than nothing

Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    also, you could combine that with light weight on a traditional bar too..even if its only 90 pounds

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    hell yeah swoles leg protocol is awsome if your injured. it worked great for me when i hyperextended my back... i was still able to do his workout due to the rep shceme and light weight.

oh and the best way to fix an injury is to rest it properly then to train it theraputically

alphaman is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Puffader
    I have 2 herniated disk in my lower back and I can now longer do squats or even hack squats but have no problems doing leg presses.

My issue now is, I can leg press (Twenty) 45lb plates for 8 clean reps. I've maxed out the machine at worlds gym but my legs are only 29" each. I'm 6'2" 238 lbs. I was thinking about trying lighter weight for higher reps but I would hate to loose what little size is there now. this is just pissing me off because there are guys there with huge legs only pressing 16 plates. I wish I could do squats again! Everything else grows. They look great but just too small compared to my upper body.
    6'2" w/ 29" legs!!?? No wonder you have herniated discs! They have steroid injections straight into the spinal joint that are still rather contriversial, but suppsedly work like a charm. Coleman had a ruptured disc and I think he got this, and he still squats over 800.

i have done light weight high rep for 8 weeks now and put on about an inch on my legs almost 30in as of today... w/o pump

Thanks Crew. I'm going to try SwoleCat's Leg Routine.

HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    i almost puked last saturday doing it. pretty taxing i tells ya.

Alright, I did his workout lastnight as it was leg night. started off with leg Ext and jumped right to leg curls for a superset. I think I did about 6 sets including warmups. I then went to the leg press and could ONLY do 1/2 of my normal weight for reps of 20. I felt like a little sissy with only 460 lbs on the press. haha, anyway around my 4th set I was pretty much spent. I'm a little sore today, more hams then quads but it is a good workout and nice change. I now have 12 plates to grow into since I was only doing 8 plates total. My knee isn't hurting either. That's a good thing for sure. Yo alphaman, 29" too small for you? they look pretty good with my 34" waist @ 238 lbs

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    That is good when your hams are more sore than your quads, as with "regular" leg work and squats in general, usually the quads are what really get fried and people tend to not hit the hams as hard.

Just wait until the SECOND day after the workout!!!!!

~SC~

Mighty Joe is offline Anabolic Member
    Oh Yeah the dreaded second day!!!!!!

alphaman is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Puffader
    Alright, I did his workout lastnight as it was leg night. started off with leg Ext and jumped right to leg curls for a superset. I think I did about 6 sets including warmups. I then went to the leg press and could ONLY do 1/2 of my normal weight for reps of 20. I felt like a little sissy with only 460 lbs on the press. haha, anyway around my 4th set I was pretty much spent. I'm a little sore today, more hams then quads but it is a good workout and nice change. I now have 12 plates to grow into since I was only doing 8 plates total. My knee isn't hurting either. That's a good thing for sure. Yo alphaman, 29" too small for you? they look pretty good with my 34" waist @ 238 lbs

Dude! I'm totally stupid! When you said 29" legs, I thought you meant your inseam! hahahahahaha My bad, I didn't realize you meant 29" thighs until the comment above. (I'm the one on the right)

Yeah the second day is a bitch. I'll know more about my knee too tomorrow. It's always bad the second day after heavy legs presses for 2 days then the pain is gone.

Hey Swolecat. whats with the Tupac Shakur bandana around your skull in your atavar? Just messing with you man. Someones got to bust your ass around here.

No problem Alphaman, Test makes me stupid too! ha. But really, 29" sucks for being 6'2". I'll get there or die trying.

Thread Information