homeboybonanza is offline Associate Member

Cool Increased frequency/Varied intensities?

Been lifting for over 12 years.
    Have tried everything (Heavy Duty, Super Slow, etc.)
    Have had good results (405lb bench, 475 dl, etc.)
    Past couple years have been stale...needed a change.

New routine (increase frequency from 1x per week to 3x per week...vary intensity by designating light/speed day, heavy/no failure day and a heavy/reach failure day).

Very unorthodox, but is working nicely, and I'm really enjoying each workout again.

Began this program after reasearching Fred Hatfield's writings on his website.

Example:
    T Chest/Shoulders/Tris (Heavy weight/2-3 reps short of failure/low volume)
    Th Chest/Shoulders/Tris (Heavy weight/go to failure, forced reps, low volume)
    Sat Chest/Shoulders/Tris (Light/Speed/work with half of 10 rep max/5 reps/10 sets per/done very explosively/far from failure)

Anyone else ever try a similar approach. I realize it's very unorthodox. My weights on the heavy/to failure day are skyrocketing! Thoughts?

homeboybonanza is offline Associate Member
    I do traing my other bodyparts, I just gave those as an example. Each bodypart 3x per week. Push day and Pull day (back/bis/legs)

bmg
    bmg is offline Member
    it is pretty unorthodox, you may not get too may replies from others whom are on the same type of regiment.

i dont do this type of training, but from my prior experiences of varying volume i have found that sudden and significant increases in my volume only produce short term benefits. sudden and significant increases in volume over 3-4 weeks may lead to overtraining.

the volume and type of training you did to achieve a 400 some pound bench press is tried and true for you and you should probably consider this your baseline for volume. if you are considering a perment change to you training style try increasing your volume gradually to advoid overtraining, or continue to train in this style for only a few weeks and then revert back to advoid overtraining. either way should help you to continue to push through your plateau.

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    i have found that doing this type of method is great for platue i do 3 weks of a mild overtraining (bodypart 2x weekly) to kinda over train it then i go into a 1 muscle group if 7 days so it has like a REBOUND its like 1 step backwards 2 steps forward.

Thread Information