Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    wired-up is offline Member

MYTH: It's best to do cardio on an empty stomach

This was taken from the May 2005 issue of Men's Fitness
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MYTH:  It's best to do cardio on an empty stomach-cardio-myth-1.jpg  

HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    apsolutely wrong! unless it's short duration(approx. 15min high intensity) to result in rasising your metabolism for the day this will hardly work as good as cardio on E first thing in the morning! nothing else will work as good as that for burning fat. if the rest of your diet is in check, you're supplementing with the right supplements and using them wisely, and your cadio is in your target rate zone then your muscle loss will be minimal. Whenever you're body is in a caloric deficit(which is what is needed to loose BF) muscle loss is inevitable, the only thing you can do is to minimize it by ahving everything in check.
    Last edited by HOLLYWOOD; 05-17-2005 at 09:22 AM.

alphaman is offline Member
    Dude, don't take what you read in magazines as gospel.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaman
    Dude, don't take what you read in magazines as gospel.
    yup, if you're going to red mags and find some info that interests you then do some research on it and find out if you credible

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    i read that ronni only uses celltech/nitrotech with the occasional NO2!... i jUST ORDERED ME all 3!!!

Quote Originally Posted by taiboxa
    i read that ronni only uses celltech/nitrotech with the occasional NO2!... i jUST ORDERED ME all 3!!!

ahhhh yes the protein/celltech diet...classic, i used that when i was a rookie gear head and didnt want anybody knowing

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I cant believe you even read that magazine and believe the garbage they feed people. That article is horse shit
    abstrack@protonmail.com

dr.shred is offline Senior Member
    Charles Poliquin (top strength coach in the world) recommneds not doing cardio on empty stomach too. Interval training for best fat burning results not on an empty stomach.

Quote Originally Posted by dr.shred
    Charles Poliquin (top strength coach in the world) recommneds not doing cardio on empty stomach too. Interval training for best fat burning results not on an empty stomach.
    From what I understand, he has a lot of beliefs that are contrary to mainstream.

For instance:I read that he recommends that you perform a reverse pyramid for better muscle exhaustion. In other words: Do a warm up, followed by your heaviest set, lower the weight w/ each following set, while increasing the reps.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaman
    From what I understand, he has a lot of beliefs that are contrary to mainstream.

For instance:I read that he recommends that you perform a reverse pyramid for better muscle exhaustion. In other words: Do a warm up, followed by your heaviest set, lower the weight w/ each following set, while increasing the reps.
    It made sense to me because, his arguement is that you burn out fast twitch first, and slow twitch last, getting maximum effort from both.

chinups Guest
    DuH!!! Don't listen to a doctor that wrote an article in a magazine who promoted nothing in the article, LOL.. you should listen to a senior member on a drug board. I love when ppl talk junk and have no medical background but they can shoot into there buttcheeks!!! haha

chinups Guest
    Listen to shreds, hes jacked and ripped and Charles Poluquin is the top strength coach in the world...GOOD POST

Who should we listen to?

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chinups
    DuH!!! Don't listen to a doctor that wrote an article in a magazine who promoted nothing in the article, LOL.. you should listen to a senior member on a drug board. I love when ppl talk junk and have no medical background but they can shoot into there buttcheeks!!! haha
    this is some half-baked reasoning if i do say so myself.

There're bros here with medical experience (RN etc)...and most know collectively more than the average doc.

The average doc does no reasearch.

chinups Guest
    You know this doctors crudentials?? Yes there are some docs that do none but there are others that do plenty. Just saying, if someone on this board says something and they have over 5k post its like the gospel to some, its not always smart to discredit all doctors. Now don't get me wrong I been around some dumd doctors but this article I think makes some sense. I think running on a empty stomach is great but if you don't do that it doesn't mean it doesn't work any other way

Here's a Dr., Dr. Robert Osgoodby:

Research supports that getting your cardiovascular exercise out of the way, first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach is best for fat burning. Some sources state that you can burn up to 3 times as much fat per hour exercising on an empty stomach. There are several medical conditions including hypoglycemia which would be a contraindication from you doing any type of exercise on an empty stomach. That is why it is imperative that you have a comprehensive medical examination before starting any cardiovascular exercise program.

chinups Guest
    I'll listen to the #1 strength coach since I want to be big and strong.

Quote Originally Posted by chinups
    I'll listen to the #1 strength coach since I want to be big and strong.

Go for it dude. I'm not saying he's wrong, I'm just saying that there are different opinions around, from doctors and from laymen!

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by abstrack
    I cant believe you even read that magazine and believe the garbage they feed people. That article is horse shit

That article is hilarious!!!!!!!!!

I've see worse though.

~SC~

BTW, all I do is cardio on E as well as all of those I've assisted for the last 4 years. (1000's)

There are so many fallacies and areas that I could go into that would clearly show why this article IS horseshit, but I've done that a million times already, and quite frankly I don't like beating a horse that has already been dead for years.

~SC~

wired-up is offline Member
    my post accomplished exactly what I wanted it to, which was to start a discussion. i'm not saying i agree with it. did i ever say that? NO. y'all need to get your panties out of a bunch and calm down about the magazine. stop taking things so personal. it's a good mag for entertainment purposes!. that being said, i generally do cardio first thing on empty also. it has worked for me as well as 1000's others as SC pointed out. good job on the discussion though.

RussianVodka is offline Senior Member
    Men's Fitness full of crap. Do not read it. Muscular development is number one. No BS, just right info.

Quote Originally Posted by RussianVodka
    Men's Fitness full of crap. Do not read it. Muscular development is number one. No BS, just right info.
    good mag!

AnabolicBoy1981 is offline Anabolic Member
    Who knows. Everybody has to tryit for themself to see if it works. IMO, cardio on E works very nice, and i have not lost strengh while doing it. Maybe that works now, but maybe later when im bigger, perhaps it will interfere with muscle gain/maintennence.

All i know is, that it is possible from my experiance to make gains in strenght while doing cardio everyday in the morning. However, i don't do cardio during bulking phases, just a s aprecautionary measure.

ginkobulloba is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RussianVodka
    Hey I love MD and read it every month, but how do you explain Palumbo's article and the Muscle Tech research and development that does nothing but promote their own products. It is essentially an advertisement that got made into a monthly artice. Like I said, I dig MD, but that is BS.

justin2305 is offline Senior Member
    i stoped reading those articles when i looked at the BS workout programs they try to get ppl doing in them lol garbage flat out!!!

aminophiliac is offline Junior Member
    if you are in better shape (or at least aspire to be in better shape) than the guy on the front cover, you shouldn't take advice from that magazine.

aminophiliac is offline Junior Member
    cant see how anyone can call it a myth when its worked for so many for so long.

Kreatine_Kid is offline Junior Member
    I will only decide on what I have experienced!

I have been doing this (cardio on empty stomach) for the last 7 weeks. I have lost 10lbs in that time with no muscle mass loss at all, non, nada! My stomach is visible flatter, my sides are smaller and my arms look bigger. Also I havent TOUCHED weights at all in that whole time.

You can listen to the magazine, Ill stick to what is working!

Kreatine_Kid is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    BTW, all I do is cardio on E as well as all of those I've assisted for the last 4 years. (1000's)
    ~SC~

Look at SC physique, you can't argue with what he says! He's living breathing proof of what he preaches!

rob35145 is offline Junior Member
    Does anyone have any resources to support cardio on an empty stomach? Something with some independent scientific studies? I'd like to read up on it.

I remember reading this in Muscle Media 2000 way back when. I do know fat is your primary source of energy when doing cardio, so how is it possible to burn 3 times a much fat on an empty stomach? Not disagreeing, just want to read up. Thanks.

Try google and type in "a.m. empty stomach cardio for fat loss" and I believe you'll find all you need to know.

~SC~

xenithon is offline Member
    There are a couple of issues raised here.

1. Cardio on empty or nothing at all

This is the first piece of garbage we need to clear up. I am sick of hearing people saying that if you do not do AM cardio in a fasted state, it is useless so don't do it at all. AM cardio may be more EFFICIENT, but not the only way.

It is really disheartening to see how people give out bad advice, such as when someone who already starts their day very early (eg. because of work) and does not want to wake up at 3AM to do cardio, gets told that if they don't do that they won't et any results; they have no discipline; you get out only what you put in so they must question their dedication etc.

2. AM cardio causes atrophy

There are too many variables involved. This includes: prebed food, amount of sleep, cardio duration and intensity, HR levels, fitness levels, body composition ad infinitum. Furthermore, similar to the previous point, it is not as simple as fasted cardio = muscle loss period. So what if there is a little muscle loss? Do you think that the extra 5-10 minutes at low intensity you do which starts to eat into muscle will cause you to magically waste away in a month? Hello no!

3. Wanna be like me, do like me

This is a point I have hesitated to bring up out of respect for SC. But this has gone to far. Let me paint a picture:
    -when people ask "what should I eat and how should I train to look like insert famous person?" and the responses are: don't be an idiot, just because you want their body doesn't mean that if you do as they do you will get it. Everyone is so different. And the flames go on, and the insults continue etc.
    -when people question one of the controversial topics on this board about which SC has his stance, the first thing most people say is: "Look at SC physique, you can't argue with what he says". Hippocracy, hey?

I want to re-iterate, I have nothing but respect for SC. But people need to bear in mind that you will NOT look like him if you copy his every move, diet, workout etc. I think he will agree (I hope at least ) that he has fairly good genetics, can dedicate a fair amount of time and effort to his physique. A lot of people out there simply do not have these, and it would be far better to HELP them on these boards rather than bullet them with the cliche "you need to decide what's important in your life" bullshit.

Peace out,
    X

SOME GOOD INSIGHT YOU HAVE!

Quote Originally Posted by xenithon

1. Cardio on empty or nothing at all
    This is the first piece of garbage we need to clear up. I am sick of hearing people saying that if you do not do AM cardio in a fasted state, it is useless so don't do it at all. AM cardio may be more EFFICIENT, but not the only way.

NO, IT'S NOT THE ONLY WAY, BUT IT IS SUPERIOR. AS WELL, IF ONE CAN DO A.M. CARDIO, THEN THIS LEAVES THE AFTERNOON OPEN FOR WEIGHTS ON THAT SAME DAY. IF ONE HAS TO DO CARDIO MID-DAY OR AFTERNOON, WEIGHTS CANNOT BE DONE THAT DAY. IF YOU TRAIN AND DO CARDIO IN THE SAME SESSION, YES, BUT THAT IS A VERY BAD IDEA, AND I CAN NEVER ADVISE DOING THAT. HOWEVER, IF A.M. CARDIO CAN'T BE DONE, THEN ONE MAY WISH TO DO WEIGHTS ONE DAY, CARDIO THE NEXT, WEIGHTS THE NEXT DAY, ETC. THIS IS WHY MORNING CARDIO IS BEST, BECAUSE IT CAN BE (1) DONE EVERYDAY (2) DONE IN THE BEST "STATE" (3) NOT FOLLOW WEIGHTS OR HAVE TO BE DONE EOD, THUS ONLY GETTING HALF THE BENEFITS/DAYS OF CARDIO (4) IT MAKES THE WORKOUTS THAT MUCH BETTER AS WELL (WEIGHTS)

It is really disheartening to see how people give out bad advice, such as when someone who already starts their day very early (eg. because of work) and does not want to wake up at 3AM to do cardio, gets told that if they don't do that they won't et any results;

THAT IS NOT TRUE, BUT IT'S THE MOST OPTIMAL TIME.

they have no discipline; you get out only what you put in so they must question their dedication etc.

SOME IN FACT CAN GET UP BUT CHOOSE TO NOT DO SO. OTHERS REALLY CAN'T. WHERE THAT LINE FALLS, WELL, THAT'S REALLY UP TO EACH PERSON, THAT IS WHY I ALWAYS PUSH/ENDORSE THE BEST SCENARIO. (BEST IN TERMS OF TIME OF RESULTS)

THIS IS B.S. AND IS ONLY STATED BY THOSE WHO HAVE NO IDEA WHAT A POSITIVE NITROGEN BALANCE IS NOR WHAT IT TAKES TO ACHIEVE IT. EATING CORRECTLY 23 HOURS OF THE DAY IS WHAT STAVES OFF CATABOLISM. A.M. CARDIO IS NOT CATABOLIC PROVIDED ONE DOES THE RIGHT KIND OF CARDIO FOR FAT BURNING IN A FASTED STATE, AND ALSO KNOWS HOW TO EAT CORRECTLY THE OTHER 23 HOURS OF THE DAY TO SUPPORT LEAN MASS AND FAT LOSS.
    AAA
    !

3. Wanna be like me, do like me

I NEVER TELL PEOPLE TO DO WHAT I DO, I ONLY TELL THEM WHAT I DO. I LOOK HOW I DO BECAUSE OF MY WORK ETHIC, TRUE, BUT BECAUSE OF BEING BLESSED AS WELL. IN MY BUSINESS, I HAVE MY CLIENTS DO AS CLOSE TO 100% OF WHAT I WOULD PERSONALLY EMPLOY, AND THEY KNOW THIS BEFORE THEY SIGN UP. THE MORE YOU PUT IN THE MORE YOU GET OUT. SO, IT ALSO HAS TO DO W/GOALS. IF IT'S YOUR LIFE, CHANCES ARE YOU HAVE MORE TIME TO DEVOTE TO IMPECCABLE TIMING. IF IT'S NOT, THEN QUICKNESS OF RESULTS PROBABLY ISN'T AS MUCH OF AN ISSUE AS IT WOULD BE FOR ME. SO, IT'S PRETTY RELATIVE TO THE IMPORTANCE OF IT IN YOUR LIFE. IF YOU GET UP AT 3 A.M. TO MAKE IT TO WORK AND CAN'T DO A.M. CARDIO, CHANCES ARE YOU HAVE MORE ON YOUR MIND ANYHOW THAN FITNESS.

This is a point I have hesitated to bring up out of respect for SC. But this has gone to far. Let me paint a picture:
    -when people ask "what should I eat and how should I train to look like insert famous person?" and the responses are: don't be an idiot, just because you want their body doesn't mean that if you do as they do you will get it. Everyone is so different. And the flames go on, and the insults continue etc.
    -when people question one of the controversial topics on this board about which SC has his stance, the first thing most people say is: "Look at SC physique, you can't argue with what he says". Hippocracy, hey?

NOT REALLY, BUT IF ONE "CAN" FOLLOW WHAT I WOULD SUGGEST THEY DO, THEY WOULD COME OUT LOOKING STRIKINGLY AMAZING. HENCE MY BUSINESS AT WWW.VIZUALXCELLENCE.COM AND ALL OF THOSE WHO HAVE DONE JUST THIS. AS FOR THE FREE ADVICE I GIVE/TOUT HERE, I SAY WHAT IS MOST IDEAL IN MY EYES AND THE PERSON CAN DO IT OR GET AS CLOSE TO IS AS HE/SHE CAN. THAT'S ALL I CAN REALLY OFFER UP, AS I DON'T REALLY CONCERN MYSELF WITH WHAT THEY ACTUALLY DO UNLESS THEY ARE A CLIENT UNDER MY GUIDANCE AND SUPERVISION.

I want to re-iterate, I have nothing but respect for SC.

MUCH APPRECIATED!

But people need to bear in mind that you will NOT look like him if you copy his every move, diet, workout etc. I think he will agree (I hope at least ) that he has fairly good genetics, can dedicate a fair amount of time and effort to his physique.

YES.

A lot of people out there simply do not have these, and it would be far better to HELP them on these boards rather than bullet them with the cliche "you need to decide what's important in your life" bullshit.

TRUE. JUST BECAUSE ONE CAN'T PATTERN EXACTLY WHAT I DO OR WHAT I RECOMMEND, DOESN'T MEAN THEY CANNOT SUCCEED. IT MAY TAKE LONGER AND/OR RESULTS MAY BE SUB-PAR IN NATURE, BUT THAT'S THE REALITY OF FITNESS, GOALS, AND WHAT IT TAKES TO ACHIEVE THEM. SOME JUST HAVE THESE HIGH HOPES THAT CAN NEVER BE MET WITH WHAT THEY ARE PUTTING FORTH EFFORT WISE. IN THOSE SITUATIONS, IT'S HARD, BUT I ALWAYS SAY THAT PERHAPS THEY SHOULD RE-EVALUATE WHAT IS "ACCOMPLISHABLE" AND WHAT IS REALISTIC, AS SOME TEND TO HAVE A FALSE SENSE OF GOAL ATTAINABILITY, IN WHICH CASE AT TIMES I NEED TO BE BLUNT AND SAY, "WELL, THAT AIN'T GONNA GET IT DONE". IT MAY NOT BE AN ISSUE OF THEM NOT HAVING THE DRIVE TO DO IT, THEY JUST REALISTICALLY MAY NEVER BE ABLE TO ACTUALLY "DO IT".

X
    ~SC~

system admin is offline Owner

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Men's Fitness says it all.

xenithon is offline Member
    Just some miscallaneous additions

SOME IN FACT CAN GET UP BUT CHOOSE TO NOT DO SO. OTHERS REALLY CAN'T. WHERE THAT LINE FALLS, WELL, THAT'S REALLY UP TO EACH PERSON, THAT IS WHY I ALWAYS PUSH/ENDORSE THE BEST SCENARIO. (BEST IN TERMS OF TIME OF RESULTS)

I agree. Obviously someone who is studying, starts class at 8, and says they do not want to wake up an hour earlier for cardio simply doesn't have the required discipline or drive. But too often you see people who work from 4, 5, 6 in the morning etc. who can't wake up earlier than they already do. And (to my surprise at least) these people get bashed and told they don't have any dedication. That is harsh and disconcerting, since they require the support of the board, not rejection.

THIS IS B.S. AND IS ONLY STATED BY THOSE WHO HAVE NO IDEA WHAT A POSITIVE NITROGEN BALANCE IS NOR WHAT IT TAKES TO ACHIEVE IT. EATING CORRECTLY 23 HOURS OF THE DAY IS WHAT STAVES OFF CATABOLISM. A.M. CARDIO IS NOT CATABOLIC PROVIDED ONE DOES THE RIGHT KIND OF CARDIO FOR FAT BURNING IN A FASTED STATE, AND ALSO KNOWS HOW TO EAT CORRECTLY THE OTHER 23 HOURS OF THE DAY TO SUPPORT LEAN MASS AND FAT LOSS.

Yup, 100%. I guess I should have put that there that this is in fact a myth, and not a point I was trying to make lol

I NEVER TELL PEOPLE TO DO WHAT I DO, I ONLY TELL THEM WHAT I DO. I LOOK HOW I DO BECAUSE OF MY WORK ETHIC, TRUE, BUT BECAUSE OF BEING BLESSED AS WELL.

And nothing but props to ya I was really targeting the countless guys on the board whom in one thread tell people they will never look like their idol by mirroring their actions, and in another thread tell them that they must "do like SC, look at him you idiot". I mean, what's the first thing that happens when someone posts a thread like "I got this new routine from Flex which Gunter/Ronnie/Cutler etc. uses"??

TRUE. JUST BECAUSE ONE CAN'T PATTERN EXACTLY WHAT I DO OR WHAT I RECOMMEND, DOESN'T MEAN THEY CANNOT SUCCEED. IT MAY TAKE LONGER AND/OR RESULTS MAY BE SUB-PAR IN NATURE, BUT THAT'S THE REALITY OF FITNESS, GOALS, AND WHAT IT TAKES TO ACHIEVE THEM.

I'm all for dedication and discipline - they are the cornerstones of achieving one's goals. I also think that one of the fundamental pillars is support and encouragement. More often than not I believe that is why many people visit these types of websites and forums. I simply think we need to give these guys out there this support rather than be quick on the trigger of the extremely harsh criticism which seems to pop up too frequently and too easily.

Anyways, that's it for this edition of Bodybuilding Philosophers Anonymous! Good luck to all, now to get back to some real topics

What works for SC might not work for you. Everyone should experiment for themselves and not go off simply what someone else says. Personally I did am cardio for the last two months on empty stomach because the idea of it seems very plausible. I lost bf yes, but I also lost muscle and quite a bit of strength. I believe that it was a direct result of that because nothing else in my routine changed.

For me I seem to do better with interval training and sprint workouts (with a full tank) or lifting heavy high sets low reps or no cardio. Like I said thats me. I think everyone has their own perferences.

Obviously SC knows what he's talking about and I think everyone can agree by looking at his physique. Also things to consider are his genetics vs. yours. We should all experiment and find whats works best for ourselves. Good discussion though.

-SHRED

diezell is offline Senior Member
    Paul Delia from AST says the best way to burn fat without losing much if any muscle is 16 minutes on a stationary bike going all out with high intensity, paul also says it doesnt matter what time a day you do youre cardio as long as its 8 hours apart from training, i cant argue with sc hes a ****in monster and he does all his cardio on a empty stomach in the am and hes alot bigger then i will probally ever be. Why does this sport have sp confusing lol why cant there be one golden set way to do things?

haha and who else beleives skip la coure does aas

What works for SC might not work for you. Everyone should experiment for themselves and not go off simply what someone else says. Personally I did am cardio for the last two months on empty stomach because the idea of it seems very plausible. I lost bf yes, but I also lost muscle and quite a bit of strength. I believe that it was a direct result of that because nothing else in my routine changed.

For me I seem to do better with interval training and sprint workouts (with a full tank) or lifting heavy high sets low reps or no cardio. Like I said thats me. I think everyone has their own perferences.

Obviously SC knows what he's talking about and I think everyone can agree by looking at his physique. Also things to consider are his genetics vs. yours. We should all experiment and find whats works best for ourselves. Good discussion though.

-SHRED

Do you think this could be because you're already ripped?

Well when I started this winter I was 11% so I do think it works for burning fat, but like I said for me I lost too much strength/muscle.

-SHRED

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information