Commander_Bash is offline Junior Member

Jumping Higher....

anyone know any techniques to jumping higher not including jump shoes.... i heard running up stairs is good anyone got an techniques? thanks

tryingtogetbig is offline Whiney Member
    Hey bro, you probably already know this one, but it's the only one I can remember. In high school football we had to jump back and forth over a bench. With the bench (like a flat incline bench) at your side-say to the right of you, jump with both feet directly to your right over the bench and then back over the bench with both feet to your left etc, etc. When I do that for 5 minutes it kicks my ass and really works the legs. You need to do it with pretty quick jumps back and forth. I learned it as a receiver in football and have used it off and on over the years. Hope this maybe helps! It is a pretty high impact exercise, but I think to jump higher you will need high impact type exercises. IMO. Also if you get board with this do it while holding a 25lb weight - that really kicks my ass in a short amount of time.

peace,

ttgb

ps. if you bust your ass and hurt yourself while doing this (I have busted my ass many times!!), please don't be too upset with my advice. lol
    Last edited by tryingtogetbig; 04-13-2002 at 07:01 PM.

Vegas Kid is offline Senior Member
    The best way to increase your vert jump is to do plyometrics. There are many diff. exercises and some of them you shouldn't do until you have a good base. You can do a search on the net or if you want check out this site for descriptions on exerecises.

http://www.radix.net/~madsox/CATS/exercises.html

By the way, I'm 6'0 and after a summer of ply. I dunked with ease.

are these called box jumps? lol if they are i heard there dangerous like you can bust your ass thanks for the advice thats what i wanted to hear i just wanna hear like a lot of peoples oppinions so i can put together my own routine im 5'11 19 years old and i can dunk on regulation height off my vertical and thats without training to jump higher anyways
    THanks for the advice again

Peace

Good site Vegas kid thanks a lot i searched the net and they had a whole bunch of bullshit sites to buy books and videos not that im cheap to buy them i just dont wanna get scammed for bullshit stuff anyways thanks

Peace

Don't buy that shit!!! Go to the library, they should have plenty there for free. The one I got was called Advanced Plyometric Training. You can usually find them in the sports section.

CarbonCopy is offline Member

Re: Jumping Higher....

Originally posted by Commander_Bash
    anyone know any techniques to jumping higher not including jump shoes.... i heard running up stairs is good anyone got an techniques? thanks
    Bro, I've been doing explosive training for about 3 years off and on. When I first started I could almost get the rim.. hehe this is sad since I am 6'1. And, I was 23 yrs old, a little late to start training by some peoples standers, anyway after about 1 year of hard training (worst self hell a person could do) with weights, cardio, lots of stretching, and jump specific excises I went from barley able to get the rim to grabbing it with 2 hands with 1 step off 2 feet. HUGE GAINS!! I gained about 10 inches off 2 feet and close to 12 inches off 1 foot! I am a 1 foot jumper naturally, but all of the exercise gave me huge gains. I was all natural by the way, no AS. Here is roughly what I did:

5 days per week -

Cardio/ sport specific exercise

Box jumps – 4 sets of 10
    Depth jumps – 4 sets of 10
    Jump rope – 4 sets of 120 jumps broken up into 2 sets - rest for 1 min per 2 sets
    Sprints – 4 sets of 50 yd dashes
    Rim jumps – 3 sets of 10

Weight/strength specific exercise (I feel I could have gone heaver on these) I’ll let you figure what weight is good for you. I went kind of light.

Bench press – 3 sets of 10
    Curls – 3 sets of 10
    Shoulders – 3 sets of 10
    Sit ups – 4 sets of 20
    Crunches – 3 sets of 20
    Squats – 3 sets of 10 (sometimes I’d go light and do 3 sets of 15)
    Calf raise – 3 sets of 20

Don’t even try this workout unless you have adequate strength. This workout is VERY demanding and puts large amounts of stress on your joints. I would do these 3 months then take 4 months off of the Cardio/sport specific exercise. But it’s ok to still do the weights. Good luck I hoped this helped.

I just wanted to add that I bought strength shoes and all they did for me was mess up my Achilles tendon. Also, this workout is really somewhat crazy… I did it because I was sick of being the “tall” guy that couldn’t jump.. But, all that talk sure ended after I was done…

Thanks for the advice CarbonCopy my friend had lent me the shoes once but they werent shoes they were like strap ons same shit they make you look stupid lol so i never tried them out .....i used to be a one leg jumper like jumping off one foot but my vertical jump has increased a lot i wanna increase it more but thanks for the advice

Peace

Don't like jump shoes. Used to play with some ankle wieghts and those seemed to help a little.

Originally posted by Commander_Bash
    Thanks for the advice CarbonCopy my friend had lent me the shoes once but they werent shoes they were like strap ons same shit they make you look stupid lol so i never tried them out .....i used to be a one leg jumper like jumping off one foot but my vertical jump has increased a lot i wanna increase it more but thanks for the advice

Peace
    LOL yeah sounds like the ones I have.. Jump Soles.. Some people say they work, but they only seem to hurt me. Like Vegas said try ankle weights. I use ankle wights and like them. Glad my post helped

Peace,
    CC

Thread Information