Thread: Dumbell bench

bRKBEATz is offline Junior Member

Dumbell bench

My chest workout is usually dumbell bench, flys, and either incline or decline dumbell bench. I don't have a workout partner so I'm nervous about doing barbell bench without a spot. Is it OK to just use dumbells all the time instead?

Also, I'm up to using 65 lb dumbells (yea I know it's low but I'm relatively new to this) does anyone know what the equivalent barbell bench would be in case I want to try it?

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    DBells > barbell
    and always do incline its great for a seksi upper chest!
    barebell is usually 10% higher than DB's or so it is for me..
    and make sure you keep all your movements SLOW and CONTROLLED... no need to let momentium do the work for you.
    AND FLEX at the TOP .. increase that blood flow

Dang, that means I'm only benching 143? That's pretty pathetic.

who cares its not about how much you press... its about how controlled and how well you press it

4U2NV is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bRKBEATz
    Dang, that means I'm only benching 143? That's pretty pathetic.
    Yeah probably for what ever rep range you do the 65lbs DB. If you can do them 8 times you can probaly do 143 eight. He didn't mean your 1 rep max. However why don't you just try barbell and find out. Not that hard.

Quote Originally Posted by 4U2NV
    Yeah probably for what ever rep range you do the 65lbs DB. If you can do them 8 times you can probaly do 143 eight. He didn't mean your 1 rep max. However why don't you just try barbell and find out. Not that hard.
    actually it can be VERY difficult w/o a spot
    just dont put clips on and i hope you know how to shake the bar

dood just kiddin dont try it w/o spot k? god i would hate to be liable for some dood dying from maxing on bench

ReX357 is offline "Toughest & Best Looking Guy Around Here"
    Bro, it's all good with the dumbells. I find they hit my pec way better (you can contract WAY more at the top).

Also, people are usually willing to help you in the gym. Just ask someone between one of his sets to spot you. If you're not too much of an ass, the answer should be yes.

Good luck!

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by taiboxa
    actually it can be VERY difficult w/o a spot
    just dont put clips on and i hope you know how to shake the bar

dood just kiddin dont try it w/o spot k? god i would hate to be liable for some dood dying from maxing on bench
    I dont think, at least I hope he wouldnt.. throw 300 pounds on!!

On another note.. I love and use dumbells but I still have to do bar. Everyone does to achieve true mass IMO.. As Rex said just ask for a spot from ppl at the gym

Well I'm happy to hear that dumbell bench is better, I guess I'll just stick to that. I'll hold off on finding out what my max is until it's something a little higher

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Well they are a good change.. Don't ignore your bar bench! Simple. Switch it up every week or so.. You need your bar bench IMO!!

juicyr6 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bRKBEATz
    My chest workout is usually dumbell bench, flys, and either incline or decline dumbell bench. I don't have a workout partner so I'm nervous about doing barbell bench without a spot. Is it OK to just use dumbells all the time instead?

Also, I'm up to using 65 lb dumbells (yea I know it's low but I'm relatively new to this) does anyone know what the equivalent barbell bench would be in case I want to try it?
    switch it up bro...don't do dumbells all the time...
    that why they made smith machines...for people that train alone like me...smith machines are my best friends now.

oh and stop worring of how much u bench.

skyline04 is offline Associate Member
    I have done DB bench for years and bench decent weight, but my straight bar bench sucks - I just started a month or two ago. So don't be discouraged when you start bar benching, as it'll take some time to get the numbers a little higher. Just focus on the form and it'll all come together. That's what I keep telling myself that is...
    Last edited by skyline04; 05-26-2005 at 07:21 PM.

ReX357 is offline "Toughest & Best Looking Guy Around Here"
    I strongly believe that the bar bench problem can be avoided when switching up from dumbells to bench by always including close grip bench press in your tri routine. I think this is what is keeping my numbers up.

Might look into that if you are afraid to lose strenght on the BB Bench Press when using dumbells.

furiousburn is offline Junior Member
    Switch it up and use the Smith.

icedudez is offline Member
    the smith machine can also be a complete basturd when u finish and ur trying 2 hook it back on especially if ur doing a really heavy weight for you though. i always need a spotter just to turn the bar.

smith is pointless... unless you like training wheels

delroid is offline Junior Member
    smith isnt pointless i dont think. When i dont have a spotter i do incline on smith machine, then flat dumbel to get my stability muscles some work.

Incline smith works great for me.

Quote Originally Posted by delroid
    smith isnt pointless i dont think. When i dont have a spotter i do incline on smith machine, then flat dumbel to get my stability muscles some work.

Incline smith works great for me.
    heh well it can for some just IMO if i dont have a spotter its DB time!

furiousburn is offline Junior Member
    An exercise isn't good or bad - the question is who is it appropriate for? At your level of experience, you may not need the controlled ROM of the Smith but this guy hasn't got much experience and he lifts alone. I see it as a tool to progress to benching with a barbell as well as a good machine to work to failure on as some of the other bros have posted.

v-twin is offline Associate Member
    I agree bro, I train at home with DB's and a para-body machine for now seems to be working for me. When I become more experienced then Ill progess to the bar benching

flexgolf is offline Member
    I normally use the dumbells. But I think it would be wise to mix in a little bar here and there. Dont be afraid to ask someoe in the vicinity for a spot, most people dont mind.

63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    I've got both rotator cuffs damaged. So, Incline barbell kills me. I stick with Dumbells. I've tried smith inclines, and that hurts just as bad, if not worse. I've got to keep doing my PT and in about a year and a half, I should be able to BB incline again. The incline bench machine at my gym sucks. It's load comes from the right side. So, it really stresses out the right shoulder. I can feel it strain. Even if I try to push harder from the left, it still feels bad. There's good pain and bad pain. Avoid the bad pain.

ultimo is offline Associate Member
    who cares its not about how much you press... its about how controlled and how well you press it
    exactly bro!!!!

weight is over rated...id rather be HUGE an only bench like 200lbs then be fat and skinny and able to bench 300lbs +

WHO CARES WHAT YOU CAN LIFT....NO ONE!!!!! only the dumb retards in the gym that focus on power...

OR...if you are a powerlifter...in which case your cool if you focus on poundages...b/c thats teh name of the game

Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    pull your bench over to teh squat rack, set the safety bars, and bench away. thats partly what a power cage is for

if you cant bring a bench over to teh rack for somereason, you could still do floor presses or swiss ball presses

Thread Information