Thread: best cardio

smokethedays is offline Veni, Vedi, Vici.
    Blog Entries

best cardio

what do you guys think as best cardio workout or workoutS?!!

spound is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smokethedays
    what do you guys think as best cardio workout or workoutS?!!

Walking on the treadmill on an incline keeping your heart rate at about 65-75% of its max...after that I would say anything that keeps your HR in the 65-75% range.

furiousburn is offline Junior Member
    "The best" is whatever it is that you'll actually do. Training on machines (elliptical, stairmaster, arc trainer etc.) will enable you to add resistance beyond your own bodyweight so that can add intensity but if you hate to be inside then you'll have a hard time sticking with that. Running (on a treadmill or outdoors) is great unless you have a pre-existing condition/injury that makes it bad for you. One of my favorites is a two hour hike ( 1 hour up, 1 hour down) at a nearby mountain with the dog. Figure out what it is you can do and actually like to do and then use a heart rate monitor to make sure you're in your fat burning zone the whole time. Don't be afraid to mix it up - crosstraining leads to better adaptation.

KDM77 is offline Female Member
    I am obsessed with the spinning class at my gym. I come out of there sweating buckets and feeling like I actually accomplished something. I am not currently taking and supplements and keep my diet under control for the most part and have noticed tremendous results. I have gone every morning M-F at 5:30 on an empty stomach for the last month. It seems like everyday my body is looking better. My arms looked toned, my stomach is flatter with more definition, and my legs and rear are getting firm and toned and spinning is all I am doing. I highly highly suggest taking this class!!

Squatman51 is offline Senior Member
    Ive been reading alot where walking is better for burning fat than jogging is. Is this true?

RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member
    What's the goal, do you want to be able to run for a long distance for sports or some sort of physical testing, or to lower your bodyfat?

Squatman51 is offline Senior Member
    lower bf%

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    Quote Originally Posted by Squatman51
    Ive been reading alot where walking is better for burning fat than jogging is. Is this true?
    Depends what your heart rate is during both activities... if your heart rate gets too high, your body starts burning muscle for energy.

RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member
    I've been running 5k outdoor 4x a week the last two weeks and I can tell you that it's burned more fat for me then a fast walk for an hour. Another thing to note is that with higher intensity cardio, I can afford to keep my carbs at a moderate level (200g-250g) while still seeing fat drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Squatman51
    You need to consider the overall amount of calories burned because that is what changes body composition - during low to moderate level cardio like walking for an hour there is a higher PERCENTAGE of fat versus glycogen being burned but only about 300 calories burned overall. Even if 90% of that is fatty acids (270 calories) it's still less calories of fat burned than when running for an hour, burning 600 calories total with 70% of the calories from fat - (420 calories). This is why people get confused.

robkesl is offline Senior Member
    one of my favs is actually jump roping dont knock it till ya tried it, its actually quite hard, 200 skips a minute ive read that 10 minutes of fast jump roping is equal to running a 7 minute mile...

beyond that the elyptical, swimming, and sex lol i hate running.

ginkobulloba is offline Senior Member
    I've been taking my mountain bike for a spin every morning. There's no impact, so I can do it right after leg day and there's no recovery issues. Plus, there is plenty to look at compared to walking on a treadmill for 45 minutes.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by furiousburn
    You need to consider the overall amount of calories burned because that is what changes body composition
    Not if the kcals burned are in the form of muscle tissue.

That would only serve to make matters WORSE. Personally, I'd rather burn FEWER calories but have them burned in the form of PURE FAT than lean muscle tissue, but to each his own. I've been doing cardio a certain way for years, and I know how impeccable it works for me and those I instruct, so I won't be changing a thing.

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Not if the kcals burned are in the form of muscle tissue.

That would only serve to make matters WORSE. Personally, I'd rather burn FEWER calories but have them burned in the form of PURE FAT than lean muscle tissue, but to each his own. I've been doing cardio a certain way for years, and I know how impeccable it works for me and those I instruct, so I won't be changing a thing.

~SC~
    This is true - that's why in my first response I said wear a heart rate monitor to be sure you stay in your fat burning zone. Personally I choose to train at about 75% of my aerobic capacity vs. 50-60% - jmo.

I didn't intend to mislead or recommend muscle loss and I would never challenge your training methods. The results speak for themselves - you are the man!

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Thanks brutha, I didn't mean to come across as "my way or the highway" I was speaking only from a personal standpoint. Hence me saying to each his own.

I go for 75% or so myself, so we're alike in that regard!!!

~SC~

Thread Information