Thread: doin squats

zoso428 is offline Associate Member

doin squats

I am really not supposd to do squats (medical condidiotn) but i really want to get my glutes into shape ...so i started doin them ...not overoidng htough and i do them on the smith machine...everything that should be sore is but my lower back is also sore is that supposed to be or am i doing them wrong?

HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    yup forms off!

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    The smith is what is killing your back.

It prohibits the natural plane of movement.

Do free weight squats, lower the weight, put the ego aside, use correct form, etc.

Your back will thank you, and so will the results.

~SC~

aminophiliac is offline Junior Member
    if for some reason squats in particular are bad, you could also try stiff legged deads for glutes or even lunges.

HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    ya man if you're not supposed to be doing them at all because of injuries, then y risk another serious injury, just not worth it to live with pain and uncomfort the rest of your life!

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    I would not do them if you have a medical condition. If you want to target your glutes, perform hip extensions. Attach an ankle cuff to a low pulley machine, stand upright and extend your hip (moving your heel behind you) while keeping your knee straight.

JAYROD is offline Senior Member
    stiff deads could do the trick.

thanks for the concern every1 but its not really medical condition that can get worse or better..its more like a restriction basically what i can do the doc says do what causes pain dont do.....squats dont really cause pain they r just harder for me ............i have extrme arthritis in my right hip and also sumitn called crondolisis(sp?) where the femur bone is closer to the hip bone to lack of cartiledge...apparently there is no way to get the cartiledge back...so here i am 21 years old and worth arthritis then an old person..even though i cant really run and i dont get sleep at night cause when its in one poisinot for a whilethe pain sets in so it wakes me like 3 times a night like there is a nicholas cage knife from "Face Off" stuck in it and twisted so the wound wont close....but i refust to let my hip affect my workouts cause the only thing i can really do now is bodybuild cause i cant play ne other sports besides like golf, bowling or ping pong haha......so im def gonna incorporate the stiff deads i wanted to try doin deads for a whle but im afraid of doing htem wrong as i know they are a complicated move but im gonna ask a trainer at the gym to show me the right way hopefully sum1 will be nice enough...........im gonna decrease the weight and do free squats no smith..possibly do one workout with just th ebar to get the form right ...good idea?......thanks again

JAYROD is offline Senior Member
    have you tried squatting while holding dumbells at your sides? might be easier than traditional squats with a bar for you.

yea they are harder for sum reason ...i could barely bend like that ....its weird if im stretched the wrong way or in teh wrong position my range of motion is changed greatly

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    smith machine squats suck, stay away from them.

Thread Information