Big Rig is offline Associate Member

Cardio - Breathing Techniques

Does anyone know of a better way to breathe when you're on a treadmill? If not maybe this will help.

The way I have always done it is in thru mouth and out thru mouth. Figuring more air is better. Not the case. This is what I tried last night for the first time. I started out as usual and about 2 minutes I got the sharp pain in my side. Then I did this, In thru nose, out thru mouth. Breathing in slowly seems better. The pain instantly went away! I went 15 minutes at 5.3 speed non stop. I felt like I could've gone forever. I'm not sore either. I lift real heavy with my legs so I figured I should'nt do too bad on the treadmill.

-RIG

eyernvxxn is offline Female Member
    I'm going to try it tomorrow....

I breathe the same way (mouth/mouth) with the same logic....and I usually feel like I'm trying to breathe thru a straw-- always wondered if there was a better way to do it or I'm just cursed w/ my mom's weak lungs (or both).

Quote Originally Posted by eyernvxxn
    I'm going to try it tomorrow....

I breathe the same way (mouth/mouth) with the same logic....and I usually feel like I'm trying to breathe thru a straw-- always wondered if there was a better way to do it or I'm just cursed w/ my mom's weak lungs (or both).
    I always blamed my lungs. I was borned with cord around my neck, I was purple and not breathing when I came out. They got me to breathe and I was in ICU for 2 weeks. The drs said I may have breathing difficulties.

Last night I swear I could've ran and ran and ran and I felt good doing it. plus I'm a big boy at 5-10 245lbs 18bf

I'm going to shoot for 45min tonight, I'll post tomorrow and let ya know how it went

furiousburn is offline Junior Member
    With slower breathing(in through the nose and out through the mouth) there is higher tidal volume (amount of air that gets moved per breath) and the respiratory passages stretch more. This kind of breathing is more efficient than just increasing the frequency/rate of breathing alone. In addition, the more conditioned you become, the more you will be able to take in and utilize oxygen - you'll have higher oxygen extraction with each breath.

eyernvxxn is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Rig
    I always blamed my lungs. I was borned with cord around my neck, I was purple and not breathing when I came out. They got me to breathe and I was in ICU for 2 weeks. The drs said I may have breathing difficulties.
    eesh, very bad luck for someone into fitness. My ma had asthma -VERY- badly, which lead to her death.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Rig
    I'm going to shoot for 45min tonight, I'll post tomorrow and let ya know how it went
    Okay

aminophiliac is offline Junior Member
    i cant really breath in well from my nose cuz i think i have a large septum. in/out thru mouth has worked good for me though. used to suck at running until i started doing cardio twice a day. breathing like this i was able to get up to running 6.5 minute miles almost indefinately. 7 miles in 45 minutes consistently. and i'm a fatass too.

Quote Originally Posted by eyernvxxn
    eesh, very bad luck for someone into fitness. My ma had asthma -VERY- badly, which lead to her death.

Okay
    I went 35 minutes...I was pretty exhausted. I know it wasn't going to be that easy. It'll take some time getting to my goal. I love the feeling right after, like you weigh nothing and are just floating. Haha.

I don't have asthma thank god but I have some friends that have it. They aren't very atthletic either.

collar is offline Anabolic Member
    i breathe in through nose and out the mouth
    ive always done it that way cause that is the right way
    i say this cause i have been doing yoga for bout 3 years and learnt like the proper breathing technique
    and long deep breathes

berniec is offline Junior Member
    i was told by a track coach years ago when i was in school to breath in thru the nose and out through the mouth. The logic being that the moisture and mucus in the nose both filters tiny particles out of the air and prevents them from entering the lungs (we were running outdoors so it was more of an issue then inside a gym where u dont have pollen and shit flying around) and also it moistens/humidifys the air. Apparently if the air is too dry thats when some people can get sharp pains in their lungs. Its always worked by me so i've kept it up over the years

Bound for Muscle is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berniec
    i was told by a track coach years ago when i was in school to breath in thru the nose and out through the mouth. The logic being that the moisture and mucus in the nose both filters tiny particles out of the air and prevents them from entering the lungs (we were running outdoors so it was more of an issue then inside a gym where u dont have pollen and shit flying around) and also it moistens/humidifys the air. Apparently if the air is too dry thats when some people can get sharp pains in their lungs. Its always worked by me so i've kept it up over the years
    that's great and all, unless you live in a place like texas where it's allergy season for 11 months out of the year

devil1 is offline Jacked Jarhead
    right om bro, ive learned to just keep my breathing controlled. i breath in and out of my mouth. its all about control.

Thread Information