zoso428 is offline Associate Member

8-8-12 and dumbells..2 ?s

i was talkin to a friend who attended an all state texas football team that is really competitive an dalway sin the running for the state championship...the name excapes me but we all know texas takes highschol football seriously...he was tellin me the coach has them do benching and squats in sets of 8-8-12....you did it wiht a spot everyworkout until you coudl do it then you add 10lbs until you can do that and so on and so forth...does ne1 do this for bbing?......on a side note after benching flat for a while wiht a barbell and havent touched dumbells in about year for benching i wanna "shock" my chest and start doing dumbells and leave the barbell alone i was thinking for the entire month of july is this a good idea?..i was gonna do incline with the dumbells too

HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    "he was tellin me the coach has them do benching and squats in sets of 8-8-12....you did it wiht a spot everyworkout until you coudl do it then you add 10lbs until you can do that and so on and so forth...does ne1 do this for bbing"..... not too sure what you mean here...

also if you want to use a bar and DB's i would incorperate both and rotate them, say for one month do flat bench then go to incline db's then next go to incline bench then flat db's i would keep both in the mix!

zoso428 is offline Associate Member
    k thanks for the advice ill do that....what i meant was like say you do 200 for a set of 8 then a set of 8 then a set of 10 but then next week the last set you can reach 12 so the week after that you add 10 lbs and keep going till you can do 8 8 12

HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    thats kind of retarded...that means the first 2 sets are not to failure??? no not a good idea, every working set you do should be to failure balls to the wall to create a new stress that will induce growth.

are those sets warm-ups or something? that would be the only way it would make sense, and even then it's still too may reps and too close to the "failure zone"
    Last edited by HOLLYWOOD; 06-11-2005 at 11:49 AM.

Thread Information