RebelMan is offline Junior Member

nauseated during leg workout

Everytime I do a leg work out about halfway through it I get nauseated and almost ralf. This only happens to me on leg days and I do my leg workout at the same time as all my other workouts.

If anybody has any ideas about why this happens or knows anything I can do to prevent it please let me know. Thanks.

Canes4Ever is offline Banned

Re: nauseated during leg workout

Originally posted by RebelMan
    Everytime I do a leg work out about halfway through it I get nauseated and almost ralf. This only happens to me on leg days and I do my leg workout at the same time as all my other workouts.

If anybody has any ideas about why this happens or knows anything I can do to prevent it please let me know. Thanks.
    Sounds like a good leg workout to me. If you don't give it up at least once during a leg workout, you aren't trying hard enough

Im not trying to make myself ralf during my leg workouts, I am just trying to get them toned.

jbrand is offline Member
    Im not trying to make myself ralf during my leg workouts, I am just trying to get them toned.
    This topic is also in another recent thread if you want to refer to that.

I believe the nausea can be prevented by drinking high GI (ie: dextrose) liquid carbohydrates through your workout, then continuing to do so post-workout. When blood glucose levels fall (due to your body utilizing glucose as its primary energy source) you are prone to nausea and possibly fainting.

Fish is offline Junior Member
    How about the build up of lactic acid in the blood? I've always thought it was attributed to lactic acid. Maybe I've just been lead down the wrong path.

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    Dude I'm the exact same, EXCEPT for me, it ONLY happens when I'm doing squats on the smith. I go squat down, until my quads are parallel with the floor, and then back up again. I don't even do that much weight, I only have 1 plate on each side! As soon as I hit 6-7 reps I feel real dizzy and light headed. I quickly stop, and I almost feel like I'm going to faint! This ONLY happens with squats, does it have to do with blood flow my head or something like that??? This is pissing me off! I would like to do more weight, cause I know my quads can handle it, but my head can't!!!

HELP!

jbrand is offline Member
    Originally posted by Fish
    How about the build up of lactic acid in the blood? I've always thought it was attributed to lactic acid. Maybe I've just been lead down the wrong path.
    glucose is broken down to pyruvate which burned with oxygen. if going beyond the capacity that the oxygen is delivered, the pyruvate is converted to lactic acid to prevent the pyruvate buildup from shutting down the whole process. lactic
    acid is converted back to glucose by the liver, or burned by
    other nonworking muscles. it is what causes the "burn" when you are at heavy intensity and/or volume. it is true in the aspect that lactic acid build-up does cause nausea. i recommend a high GI carb drink during/after workout due to the correlation between glucose and lactic acid. well just my opinion anyway

A_Nice is offline Associate Member
    Dude, getting nautious for legs is normal.. At least for me it is. I really don't have too much experience lifting but I can tell you this:

In high school football preason doing wind sprints, and my track workouts running repeated 100m and 200m sprints with minimal rest I ALWAYS puked when I worked my legs hard. ALWAYS.

Just last week in the gym, it was the 2nd week I trained my legs really HARD and I felt some nuasea coming on. After really hard sets I see "stars" little white spots and feel kinda dizzy like im gonna hit the deck. Sure enough, I stopped my sets told my partner i'll be right back, and yacked when i got to the nearest toilet.

What causes it? I dont know, I feel like I have enough energy, but my partner noticed that sometimes I forget to breath fully when stuff gets really heavy, for whatever reason.

All i can say is enough carbs before working out, and make sure your breathing fully. I feel somewhat better when I do that. It controls the puking anyway...
    Last edited by A_Nice; 04-17-2002 at 02:32 PM.

I always yacked while doing track workouts, but never during a leg workout during my highschool football career.

Thanks for the info. I will give carb. thing a try and see what happens.

jbrand is offline Member
    I always yacked while doing track workouts, but never during a leg workout during my highschool football career.

Thanks for the info. I will give carb. thing a try and see what happens.
    did you sprint (anaerobic) or run long distances (aerobic) on your HS track team. I ask you this because I've read information regarding improved aerobic ability leading to decreased lactic acid. It kind of makes sense, considering lactic acid is the pain you experience when trying to get through an exercise thus the ability to do lengthly muscular tasks would improve that function.

I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dash.....I did anywhere from 75 meter sprints to 500 meter sprints(the first 400 all out then the last 200 all you had left)

jbrand is offline Member
    I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dash.....I did anywhere from 75 meter sprints to 500 meter sprints(the first 400 all out then the last 200 all you had left)
    I never ran over a 200m (competitively), I could never tell if I was predominantly fast-twitch fibers or just very lazy

during my sophmore year of highschool I ran the 100 in the mid 11's and on relays I sometimes ran 10.9's (but that was probaly b/c of the exchange. In the 200 I ran mid 23's and the 400 was horrible I never got below 56....Then I had reconstructive surgery on my acl and my speed said bye bye

Kid Shred is offline Member
    I've hacked acouple times in the gym doin' squats. Always made it to the bathroom though. I also always see those "Silverfish" thingies in the corners of my eyes after I'm done with my heavy sets of squats & L.Presses.

Thread Information