str8cubano is offline Junior Member

Skull Crushers and Dips killing my elbows..do I stop?

Skull Crushers and dips are starting to kill my elbows. Do I just stop doing them or take joint releif pills or what? Im getting pretty strong off those execises, and dont feel like stoping. But at the cost of screwing up my joints for life, then by by dips and skull crushers...

SprinterOne is offline Senior Member
    I notice this too when doing dips. My left elbow seems to pop when I am in the down position, but it doesn't hurt during or after. Is this similar to what happens to you?

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by str8cubano
    Skull Crushers and dips are starting to kill my elbows. Do I just stop doing them or take joint releif pills or what? Im getting pretty strong off those execises, and dont feel like stoping. But at the cost of screwing up my joints for life, then by by dips and skull crushers...
    -try some Adequan(PSAG)
    http://forums.steroid.com/showthread.php?t=165475

-or you can try glc200 glucosamine&chonditrin(*sp) sulfate and many more

-try warming up before you do these exercises along with stretches(u can find many online)

hope this helps

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    You know what really helps my elbow? Rehband elbow sleeves. I use them when doing almost any kind of pressing movement. I would suggess you get some.

decadbal is offline Banned
    my elbows hurt all day... but i made the decision to keep them in, and accept that pain is part of life.. so u have to choose

as long as There are some supplements out there to aliviate the pain, and that it doesn't **** up my joints for life...i'll be ok....Sprinter one, no, its baskically pain on my elbows from the stress of the wait that Im doing...

devil1 is offline Jacked Jarhead
    both of those exercises are very tough on the elbows, i would back down a bit. i know a few guys who have to wear sleeves for almost every exsecise they do. your elbows are like your knees and shoulders, once you f@ck em up you r suffer a long time, all around

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Make sure those elbows are warmed up prior to those movements.

You have to warm up that joint.

Try a few sets of overhead d-bell (1 hand at a time) extensions with a 5-10 lb. d-bell, for reps of 20-30, then stretch the triceps really well.

~SC~

Drummerboy is offline Anabolic Member
    for sure im with swole on that one... if i go in cold for those elbow killing excersizes, im in pain for a while after, and not good pain.

thanks for help guys..swole C, in your opinion, a bodybuilder such as yourself, you do agree that skulls and dips are essential for putting on mass correct? I have had others tell me that cable can do the job, but I feel that skull crushers are like the bench press for the arms. I will take your advice about warming up before, I just don't want to be fatigue by the time I get to the skulls so that I have full energy for that exercise....thanks for the advice guys - str8

freakintraining is offline Associate Member
    rotate them everyother week if the pain is too intense, dont axe them completley out that is wha ti had to do becasue i have the same problem

Glutamine77 is offline Junior Member
    !IMPORTANT! If you have any kind of pain in any kind of joint !STOP! what you're doing NOW! I learned the hard way with squats and had delicate knees that ached most of the time till point that had problems walking for a period of time but now I don't even have any kind of pain anymore !you can fix this! if any of your joints hurt at any time it means your muscle is stronger than that peticular joint/tendon.. lay of the heavy weight for now and start training your joints by emphisising on the eccentric(the negative - opposite of concentric wich is when you contract the muscle) by letting the weight down very slow with a complete and full range of motion and squeeze out a couple forced reps and continuing on letting the weight go down as slow as possible.. jerking the weight up and down is a surefire way to eventually get problems- injuries CAN be avoided.. don't be stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Glutamine77
    lay of the heavy weight for now and start training your joints by emphisising on the eccentric(the negative - opposite of concentric wich is when you contract the muscle) by letting the weight down very slow with a complete and full range of motion and squeeze out a couple forced reps and continuing on letting the weight go down as slow as possible..
    Thats exactly how I get the pain. Letting it down slowly. I never jerk any exercise I do. Doing it correctly is how I get the pain.

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Decadbal
    my elbows hurt all day... but i made the decision to keep them in, and accept that pain is part of life.. so u have to choose
    Ouch, not worth it IMO, I suggest taking time off to let the joints heal, then return. But we all know your nuts

Glutamine77 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by str8cubano
    Thats exactly how I get the pain. Letting it down slowly. I never jerk any exercise I do. Doing it correctly is how I get the pain.
    are you eating right? my joints start to hurt after slacking off protein intake all the time

znak is offline Senior Member
    I broke my right elbow as a kid and had elbow problems for years. If you have warmed up and still have pain, do not do the exercise. Find one that does not hurt it.

With time you will build the auxillary muscles around the elbow and will be able to do these exercises at you body weight and more.

Be patient. You only have one body.

PS- Weighted dips are the number one exercise for tricep mass.

Quote Originally Posted by znak
    I broke my right elbow as a kid and had elbow problems for years. If you have warmed up and still have pain, do not do the exercise. Find one that does not hurt it.

With time you will build the auxillary muscles around the elbow and will be able to do these exercises at you body weight and more.

Be patient. You only have one body.

PS- Weighted dips are the number one exercise for tricep mass.
    yea..i will definetley warm up before this excercise, thats what I would never do.. I wanted to save my energy for dips and skulls, so I would do those first..but no more...rope and ez bar warm up or behind the neck for me...

Thread Information