MASTER is offline "I Own You"

Help with workouts

Ive been tryin to help a friend of mine with training and diet, so can u guys please help. Hes using the same split as me, but since hes slightly less developed, ive told him to stick to compound movements more. His workouts at the moment are as follows-

Tuesday - Chest and Tris
    Chest - 5 sets bench press, either 3 sets of bench press to neck or 4 sets of incline bench. 4 Sets cable flyes or 4 sets of pullovers and 4 sets of incline flies.
    Tris - 4 sets close grip bench press, 5 sets tricep extensions, 5 sets cable push downs.

Thursday - Back, Bis and traps.
    Back - 5 sets pull downs/ pull ups, 4 sets barbell rows, 4 sets cable rows, 2 sets deadlifts.
    Traps - 5 sets shrugs, 4 sets upright rows
    Bis - Scs bi blaster - 3 sets barbell curls, 3 sets hammer curls.

Saturday - Shoulders
    Dumbell shoulder press - 5 sets
    Smith machine military pres - 4 sets
    Lat raises - 4 sets
    Bent over lat raises - 4 sets

Sunday - Legs
    5 supersets of leg extensions and hamstring curls
    5 sets Hack squats
    5sets leg press
    Seated calf raises - 5sets

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesC
    Ive been tryin to help a friend of mine with training and diet, so can u guys please help. Hes using the same split as me, but since hes slightly less developed, ive told him to stick to compound movements more. His workouts at the moment are as follows-

Tuesday - Chest and Tris
    Chest - 5 sets bench press, either 3 sets of bench press to neck or 4 sets of incline bench. 4 Sets cable flyes or 4 sets of pullovers and 4 sets of incline flies.
    Tris - 4 sets close grip bench press, 5 sets tricep extensions, 5 sets cable push downs.

Thursday - Back, Bis and traps.
    Back - 5 sets pull downs/ pull ups, 4 sets barbell rows, 4 sets cable rows, 2 sets deadlifts.
    Traps - 5 sets shrugs, 4 sets upright rows
    Bis - Scs bi blaster - 3 sets barbell curls, 3 sets hammer curls.

Saturday - Shoulders
    Dumbell shoulder press - 5 sets
    Smith machine military pres - 4 sets
    Lat raises - 4 sets
    Bent over lat raises - 4 sets

Sunday - Legs
    5 supersets of leg extensions and hamstring curls
    5 sets Hack squats
    5sets leg press
    Seated calf raises - 5sets

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Hay,, its good to keep him on the midrange compound movement….

1 I wouldn’t recommend benching to the neck as this is potentially dangerous.

2 you could drop some sets down to 2-3 as more is not better in this game.

3 he could drop the cable flyes and incline fliys for chest as flat, inc, decline will be enough at this point..

4 drop the upright row from traps shrugs and deads is enough

5 What’s that no squats on leg day….

6 shoulders drop, drop, and drop some sets 2-3 dumb, press, 3 side laterals 2-3 posterior is plenty.. JMO

Cheers 4 the advice, may drop the number of sets down on a few things, i spose its coz i juice i can get away with more sets. He use to do just deads and shrugs, but his traps were never sore the next day, so I told him to add upright rows, n hes says they get very sore now. I think maybe I made him sound less advanced than he is as well, hes 5"9 and 220lbs! So he is no small guy. He used to just do incline decline and flat for chest, but his upper chest is lagging compared to his overall chest development, so I suggested taking out decline and adding incline flyes, and this seems to be working for him. As for squats, he has the same problem I have, our legs grow like weeds, he didnt train his legs at all for a year, because they were so out of proportion, so he is trying to add mass slowly to them, so he stays in proportion.

Cheers 4 the advice, may drop the number of sets down on a few things, i spose its coz i juice i can get away with more sets. He use to do just deads and shrugs, but his traps were never sore the next day, so I told him to add upright rows, n hes says they get very sore now. I think maybe I made him sound less advanced than he is as well, hes 5"9 and 220lbs! So he is no small guy. He used to just do incline decline and flat for chest, but his upper chest is lagging compared to his overall chest development, so I suggested taking out decline and adding incline flyes, and this seems to be working for him. As for squats, he has the same problem I have, our legs grow like weeds, he didnt train his legs at all for a year, because they were so out of proportion, so he is trying to add mass slowly to them, so he stays in proportion.
    Hay,, that post sounds good to me m8, if things are working just keep going. although I will say that being sore is not an indication that you have had a good workout, well I suppose it dose to a point but lactic acid Is just the result of anaerobic training, a bypass of carbon monoxide and water it doesn’t mean that you have used and recruited more muscle fibbers.
    Last edited by S.P.G; 06-18-2005 at 06:56 AM.

Yeh I understand what you are saying, I thinks its just a case of feeling sore makes you think you are going in the right direction, it feels good and productive, and as long as he gets steady growth and feels he is going in the right direction, he'll hopefully keep up his positive attitude and get where he wants to be.

Yeh I understand what you are saying, I thinks its just a case of feeling sore makes you think you are going in the right direction, it feels good and productive, and as long as he gets steady growth and feels he is going in the right direction, he'll hopefully keep up his positive attitude and get where he wants to be.
    exactly.m8

HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by S.P.G
    Hay,, its good to keep him on the midrange compound movement….

1 I wouldn’t recommend benching to the neck as this is potentially dangerous.

2 you could drop some sets down to 2-3 as more is not better in this game.

3 he could drop the cable flyes and incline fliys for chest as flat, inc, decline will be enough at this point..

4 drop the upright row from traps shrugs and deads is enough

5 What’s that no squats on leg day….

6 shoulders drop, drop, and drop some sets 2-3 dumb, press, 3 side laterals 2-3 posterior is plenty.. JMO
    Your opinion is right on the money

Thread Information