Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Results 1 to 31 of 31
  1. #1
    Alpha-Male's Avatar
    Alpha-Male is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    1,334

    queston on pull-ups

    alright, i hate to admit this, but even though i can lat pull well over 200lbs, i can only manage 8 frickin pullups first set, first exercise, and then 6 and 5 respectively...is this okay? i know i need to keep hitting 'em in order to improve, but damn, it doesn't even seem worthwhile (even though im sure it is)...would just like to hear it from someone...thanks

    AM

  2. #2
    SprinterOne's Avatar
    SprinterOne is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    An apartment
    Posts
    1,069
    It's not horrible. If you want to start improving quicker try weighted pull ups. Even if you can only do 3 or so, your unweighted reps will go up more quickly this way.

  3. #3
    Cuttup's Avatar
    Cuttup is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    1,604
    pull ups are a bytch! But thats cause they work!

  4. #4
    phwSSJ's Avatar
    phwSSJ is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    The DOJO
    Posts
    883
    Its almost the same as going from a smith machine bench press to a REAL bench press.

    Not only are you recruting more muscles but your body has to get used to it neurologically.

    Just keep doing them and you will get better.


    BTW pullups are one of the best upper body exercises ever!

  5. #5
    collar's Avatar
    collar is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    6,192
    do u mean chin ups????
    if so keep at it eventually u will start improving
    they are the best.... squats are like the main excercisefor legs...... well chin ups is the main excercise for back with barbell rows imo.....

  6. #6
    Syndicate's Avatar
    Syndicate is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    484
    I was in the same boat a year and a half ago... On back day, start your workout with pullups... Do 50 reps in how many ever sets it takes you. Arnold used to do it and I figured, what do I have to lose? I can do 20 before I have to stop now... After you can do 15 start adding weight with the chain belt. You will grow wings off this I promise!

  7. #7
    cdogge's Avatar
    cdogge is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    must have hush or cyber-
    Posts
    350
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-Male
    alright, i hate to admit this, but even though i can lat pull well over 200lbs, i can only manage 8 frickin pullups first set, first exercise, and then 6 and 5 respectively...is this okay? i know i need to keep hitting 'em in order to improve, but damn, it doesn't even seem worthwhile (even though im sure it is)...would just like to hear it from someone...thanks

    AM
    are you doing these palms in or out?

  8. #8
    S.P.G's Avatar
    S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    uk/ south east
    Posts
    4,538
    Add one pull each workout,,

  9. #9
    Deezuhl is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Compton
    Posts
    2,328
    which pull ups you referring to?? wide grip military style??

  10. #10
    Alpha-Male's Avatar
    Alpha-Male is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    1,334
    yeah, wide grip, palms forward, i thought were 'regular' pull-ups/chin-ups...i suck at 'em...

  11. #11
    4U2NV is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    406
    Keep it up bro its a great exercise and like other said a must on back day.

  12. #12
    Hypertrophy's Avatar
    Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Getting Fat
    Posts
    1,446
    I would visit the assisted chin machine. The assisted machine does a few things for me. First, it doesn't have a bar connecting the handles. This allows me to keep my torso more erect and move straight up, contracting harder. With a bar directly over head, you have to move back slightly, which causes you to recruit the biceps. I get a much better overall contraction on the assisted machine. I can do unassisted chins, with no problems, but feel it more in the biceps because of the angle of pull due to the bar above my head. After all, working out is all about muscular contractions. . .

  13. #13
    devil1's Avatar
    devil1 is offline Jacked Jarhead
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    working:(
    Posts
    3,355
    i would have to disagree with you hyper, i believe if you want to improve on free hanging pull ups you need to do free hanging pull ups. i used to only be able to do 5, on a good day. i tried everything, what worked for me was doing them once aweek sometimes twice, i would set a small goal like four sets of five. after a couple of weeks i was able to jump it up to four sets of seven. once you get them going you just keep getting better and better.

  14. #14
    HOLLYWOOD's Avatar
    HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,960
    keep at it man, my suggestion is to get really good at chins, once you've accomplished this your back will blow-up! they've worked wonders for me!

  15. #15
    clockworks's Avatar
    clockworks is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    2,036
    It took me 8 months to finally be able to do 3 sets of 10 wide grip chin ups. I was weak as f-ck when I started working out though. I used the assisted pull up machine with 80 lbs of assistance. Every workout I would lower the assistance for just one set. Every month I would _try_ to lower the assistance for all the sets by 10 lbs. Once I could start doing 3 sets of 10 on my own with no assistance, I started strapping on weight. The best I ever did with wide grip pullups was 3 sets of 10 with 25 lbs strapped to me. I've tried with 45 lbs strapped on, but could only get like 5-6 reps and only on the first set. I made a HUGE mistake of not strapping on the extra weight anymore and now I've regressed to 3 sets of 10 with no weight again. Its fairly easy though.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    733
    I tried doing chins yesterday and I couldn't even pull out 1.

    I've never attempted them before BUT I've been training for so many years now, do barbell bent over rows with over 180lbsl, so I thought it wouldn't be a problem for me. What a **** I am. Gotta keep at it then.

  17. #17
    Smallie is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6
    I improved on chin ups, doing the reps i could normally do, then doing iso and negatives only.

  18. #18
    Alpha-Male's Avatar
    Alpha-Male is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    1,334
    Quote Originally Posted by Toenail Juice Z
    I tried doing chins yesterday and I couldn't even pull out 1.

    I've never attempted them before BUT I've been training for so many years now, do barbell bent over rows with over 180lbsl, so I thought it wouldn't be a problem for me. What a **** I am. Gotta keep at it then.
    yeah, i feel exactly the same way...and now, since i had been outta the gym for a few months, i tried 'em the other day, put up a whoppin' 6, 5, 4...whoooohoooo for me...glad i workout at a private gym, otherwise, my fellow meatheads would be

  19. #19
    Darkness's Avatar
    Darkness is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Charlotte in a cage
    Posts
    860
    Well if you were in the marines you'd be in trouble.... I can do 42...yes 42. I know a few guys that can do over 50 pull ups but they dont weigh as much as me. The best thing for you to do is do them everyday morning and night. I normally only do them once a week now, but I still do 100 reps in 3 sets.

  20. #20
    chest6's Avatar
    chest6 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    23,390
    Do pullups really work the back that well?? Every time I do them it seems like they work my shoulders and biceps and I dont really feel it in my back.

  21. #21
    boondockSAINT's Avatar
    boondockSAINT is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    495
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkness
    Well if you were in the marines you'd be in trouble.... I can do 42...yes 42. I know a few guys that can do over 50 pull ups but they dont weigh as much as me. The best thing for you to do is do them everyday morning and night. I normally only do them once a week now, but I still do 100 reps in 3 sets.
    I just saw a friend of a friend this past weekend and he was in the military. Looked jacked. After asking him he said he can do over 50 pullups, and when I asked about pushups he said he can pretty much do them until whenever. I was very impressed.

    By the way, I am also impressed with the person above who used the term "fellow meatheads".

  22. #22
    LittleNate's Avatar
    LittleNate is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    Do pullups really work the back that well?? Every time I do them it seems like they work my shoulders and biceps and I dont really feel it in my back.

    you shouldnt be using your biceps much at all....you have to really focus on contracting your lats.

  23. #23
    Billyspt4 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    297
    As long as you can do pullups, you're getting a good workout, just have someone spot you and make you do the rest to finish the set

  24. #24
    Alpha-Male's Avatar
    Alpha-Male is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    1,334
    Quote Originally Posted by boondockSAINT

    By the way, I am also impressed with the person above who used the term "fellow meatheads".
    is that a dig?

  25. #25
    clockworks's Avatar
    clockworks is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    2,036
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleNate
    you shouldnt be using your biceps much at all....you have to really focus on contracting your lats.
    I found that arching your back and pulling towards your chest (not your chin) helps with that.

  26. #26
    IronFreakX's Avatar
    IronFreakX is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    8,803
    if ur doing fine with ur bod ...y do u need them...?

  27. #27
    justin2305's Avatar
    justin2305 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,552
    do em til u fail whether it be 2times or 20times, u will be able to do more as time goes on bro just keep at it

  28. #28
    HOLLYWOOD's Avatar
    HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,960
    Quote Originally Posted by justin2305
    do em til u fail whether it be 2times or 20times, u will be able to do more as time goes on bro just keep at it

    yes thank u, the only way to get stronger at something is to do it! practise makes perfect!

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    733
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-Male
    yeah, i feel exactly the same way...and now, since i had been outta the gym for a few months, i tried 'em the other day, put up a whoppin' 6, 5, 4...whoooohoooo for me...glad i workout at a private gym, otherwise, my fellow meatheads would be
    From now on whenever its shoulder day, I make sure to go late at night.

  30. #30
    HOLLYWOOD's Avatar
    HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,960
    no man i think you should think the other way with lagging bodyparts, go when people will talk smack to you so you push through plateaus or force that bodypart to work harder, this is what i do, when i work legs because my legs and calves are lagging i wear shorts so people make comments, and it makes me work harder

  31. #31
    Billyspt4 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD
    no man i think you should think the other way with lagging bodyparts, go when people will talk smack to you so you push through plateaus or force that bodypart to work harder, this is what i do, when i work legs because my legs and calves are lagging i wear shorts so people make comments, and it makes me work harder
    I agree alot, plus you'll really get pumped by watching or even just being around the other people.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •