Thread: a partner?

devil1 is offline Jacked Jarhead

Question a partner?

what do you think of working out with another person? what do you think are the pros and cons of having a regular workout partner?

zoso428 is offline Associate Member
    my experiences and also IMO make sure he has the same intensity as you ..one of my friends i occasionaly lift with will stop talk on his phone, talk with people, I HATE THAT slows me down...he also lifts for a month then once a girl gives him one compliment he will stop lifting and eat like crap for 3 months ...so EQUAL INTENSITY AND MINDSET IS A MUST..i hat ebeing slowed down or taken out of my norm....the big pro IMO is you can always work to failure on everythign wihtout having to ask arond for a spot...which is a big one

yeah its nice to have someone there to spot. i usually work out with one person for a while then get pissed off because they start thowing in there little "ideas" on how we should change our workout plan. i cant stand for people to slow me down and i sure as hell dont need someone coming in and changing up MY routine!!

zoso428 is offline Associate Member
    ha i actually joined a gym further from my house just so i dont have to see ne1 i know and i cna just put my head phones on and zone out.........

nice one.....smooth, i might have to try the same thing. ha ha

chest6 is offline Banned
    I think it is a must. I try to workout with people stronger than me..that seems to help me sometimes because they seem to push me harder. RIght now I'm working out with someone a lot weaker than me so it is kind of frustrating at times but at least he still pushes me...oh and talking too much, joking around and telling stories pisses me off too...find someone who is more dedicated.

collar is offline Anabolic Member
    i just train by myself cause i dont think i can find someone that wants to train the way i do.
    so i dont bother just train by urself best way .............

Dave321 is offline AR's Salad Tossing Connoisseur
    I am pretty self motivated... I also can't listen to my music when I am working out with someone... angry music makes me want to break something...

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Only time I like a partner is in the bedroom.

~SC~

decadbal is offline Banned
    i like to workout alone also, but if u have one, or get one, get someone who is better than you, stronger, leaner, whatever... so they push you harder than normal, and you will work harder to catch them, and pass them...less your just a pussy

HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Decadbal
    i like to workout alone also, but if u have one, or get one, get someone who is better than you, stronger, leaner, whatever... so they push you harder than normal, and you will work harder to catch them, and pass them...less your just a pussy

amen to that!

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by devil1
    what do you think of working out with another person? what do you think are the pros and cons of having a regular workout partner?
    Having a good training partner is essential imo,, but having a good one is the key someone who is as motivated and as hungry as yourself for size…and one who is no time lol...

it seems like guys that are smaller than me always want to go and workout with me, i like to help with what i can but after a while i want to be back on my own. its hard to tell someone you dont want to lift with them anymore.

TimeToGetBig27 is offline Junior Member
    lol if its the right parter.. mine drives me there everyday in a jag and is bigger then me, pushing me to do more and more.. :P

lucabratzi is offline Anabolic Member
    i hate working out with a partner. i try to get in a zone when i work out, and not talk to people. its ok to give advice on what to do, but god dam when the person keeps coming up to me every 2 seconds asking exactly what to do on everthing, that shit is annoyin too.

now thats what im talking about, luca.

chest6 is offline Banned
    ya my partner does the same and he never gets stronger..but i just tell him stop drinking and smoking first before u ask me anything

clockworks is offline Anabolic Member
    Without a partner to chit chat with, I tend to get bored and thus workout way too fast...like resting for less than 60 secs between sets. Then I get really tired and can't lift as much, etc. Maybe its just my weird personality, but I can't stand just sitting there twiddling my thumbs waiting for the next set.

Also, without a partner for spots, I never lift close to failure...which kinda sucks.

sometimes i feel like i push myself harder because i know no one is there to pick up he weight if i cant get it up. so its like you dont have a choice, you gotta put the weight up

lucabratzi is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by devil1
    sometimes i feel like i push myself harder because i know no one is there to pick up he weight if i cant get it up. so its like you dont have a choice, you gotta put the weight up
    yeah i sometimes do that. makes u put the weight up cause my adrenaline kicks in.

crazle43764 is offline Associate Member
    [QUOTE]

Thats exactly why I dont like having a partner because in my mind when Im lifting I know that no ones there to help me i gotta dig deep to get those last couple reps in or the weight is coming down on me. Do or die mentality i guess.

exactly!

Benches505 is offline 75% HGH 25% Testosterone
    I would never be able to workout without a partner! I would either have to go light enough that I don't need a spot, and that would really suck Or I would have to harass people in the gym to spot me. Small muscle groups I can do alone but bench/military press/squats are a NO-GO without a spot.

justin2305 is offline Senior Member
    i like to have a workout partner cuz im a real motivational person and with me motivating someone else it helps to motivate myself and i like to be able to lift heavy til i fail and i cant do this without one. currently though i dont have a training partner

CrazyKC is offline Associate Member
    sometimes it's nice to have someone to work out with but other times i feel that when I don't have a spotter that I can actually get up more weight because I know i have to or I will be screwed. This is gonna sound selfish but what the hell i only like to have a partner that does what I say to do and doesn't complain about the length of the workout or the amount of lifts we are doing because that gets real annoying specially if you are just trying to help that person out.

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    Crap... i hate training partners...ur only doing 6 sets for biceps? u have a whole workout for legs only? why should u workout legs? chicks dont like big legs? and look at ronnie coleman his legs are gross!!! i dont wanna go to jail for murder...so i train alone
    There is this dude at my gym looks fvcking motivated...powerlifting style like me...wanna bump into him to see if we can workout together...

C_Bino is offline $BAM-7246~AR-Hall of Famer
    Having a partner is the best thing. But like many people said you gotta choose ur partner wisely. The right partner, in my case my brother knows my potential, and very important (even tho maybe not thought to be in weight training) my personality. This way we know what to say, not to say to motivate eachother, knows when to shutup and when to yell.
    Alone is great when ur mad I think, just take it all out. Have a bad day and go by urself to the gym.

AFGym7 is offline New Member
    I agree, having a partner can be good... but sometimes it sucks, my workout partner is a good year of training behind me so we have to keep adjusting the weights which suuucks for chest and legs.. but then again it motivates me to help him because i know he looks up to me and that helps me lift stronger to make sure he doesnt catch up to me.. haha

HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AFGym7
    I agree, having a partner can be good... but sometimes it sucks, my workout partner is a good year of training behind me so we have to keep adjusting the weights which suuucks for chest and legs.. but then again it motivates me to help him because i know he looks up to me and that helps me lift stronger to make sure he doesnt catch up to me.. haha

i like lifting with stronger guys, it motivates me more

robkesl is offline Senior Member
    if your partner has the same goals, it doesnt matter if hes smaller, as long as were both looking in the same direction, then its all good.

that being said, i prefer to work with the oldtimers cause they have so much experience and tips, its deff. worth it.

yeah but what happens when your a hardgainer and your partner just stays shredded year round. here goes your cutting and toning and hes still on the same ole get bigger and bigger track. then yalls workouts would actually get in each others way

love 2 lift is offline Associate Member
    I workout by myself most of the time, but a few guys at work workout, so I get together with them sometime to change things up a bit.

I have had training partners in the past.

Good at times- pushin each other/ Bad at times- he's late waiting around for him.

Thread Information