Thread: A Bet.

YouCanDoIt is offline Junior Member

A Bet.

Hey bros,
    My girlfriend bet me I couldn't run....said my physique would prevent me from doing it. (I've been bbng for the last eight years fairly consistenty).
    Anyway, she challenged me to run this "half-marathon" thing in Salt Lake City. From what I understand, it's 12 or 13 miles long. I like a challenge, (plus Pat Tillman may he RIP, is an inspiration) so I think I'm up to it.
    My question is, how would I go about that? I know for sure I don't want to loose much muscle (no anorexic runner-types here), and some bros told me you don't have to. The only experience with running I have is doing cardio to supplement my weight regimen. So, yeah...help, please.

Thank bros.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I'd challenge her to a marathon in bed instead!

~SC~

SHAOKAHN is offline Member
    I would pass on that high catabolic nonsence. She said your physique would prevent you from running? You should say my physique means I don't have to run! j/k
    you should go for more of a sprint style race if anything.

so, no way I can go above a couple of miles?
    Pat Tillman did do both a marathon and a triathlon.
    If such a great patriot and athlete can do it , there's gotta be a way

clockworks is offline Anabolic Member
    My friend and his gf did a half marathon. They trained for like a month for it!! I think they trained by running 4 miles twice a week for a month. Actually, I think they built up to 4 miles, but started lower. Either way, I heard its hard as sh-t.

yeah, that's what I'm talking about.
    But along with building endurance, I was thinking about maintaining muscle mass.

SprinterOne is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YouCanDoIt
    so, no way I can go above a couple of miles?
    Pat Tillman did do both a marathon and a triathlon.
    If such a great patriot and athlete can do it , there's gotta be a way
    There is a way to do it, but you gotta train for it. 12-13 miles is a lot, you're talking about an hour and a half of straight running. Hell, I don't have a bodybuilders body and I couldn't run it. I don't think a half marathon should decide whether you can run with your body type, I think maybe a few laps around a track should be enough. But if you must do it, then all I can say is go for it and when it starts to hurt you just gotta suck it up.

robkesl is offline Senior Member
    make sure you give yourself plenty of time to train, i hope this isnt for several months!

yeah. it's not until earldy september.
    http://www.sports-am.com/events/index582.htm

I've been doing some research...I think I can do it as long as I keep lifting to maintain muscle and take in enough protein. I am ready to accept some muscle loss, just more motivattion for me tto build it back up afterwards.

One thing I was wondering about: I read about different " foot plant types", something about rolling your foot inwards of outwards when you plant it. So, apparently I need shoes that match that. Is that true or is it a bunch of bologna?
    Kind sounds like biomechanics....
    help me out bros,

Shoes can make a big difference. If you have a bad shoe you can experience cramping, and if you're running that far might as well have a comfortable shoe. I would go to a running place and have someone get you in the proper shoe.

What do you mean by running place?

A shop that caters to runners. Just look for a place with a bunch of skinny dudes walking into it, that should be it.

exactly what I don't want to be. But seriously, how do I find a place of commerce like that?

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SprinterOne
    A shop that caters to runners. Just look for a place with a bunch of skinny dudes walking into it, that should be it.
    Haha funny stuff..thats the store

Quote Originally Posted by YouCanDoIt
    exactly what I don't want to be. But seriously, how do I find a place of commerce like that?
    The yellow pages? I don't man, kidnap a runner and force him to take you.

Bound for Muscle is offline Associate Member
    you can do that shit bro, you can do anything if you want it bad enough

it's gonna be really really hard, and you'll probably wanna quit halfway through (farthest i've run is 7 miles) but i believe that if you truly wanna do it you will force yourself to go on

show your girlfriend that a big man can run, and prove to her that you have to mental toughness to do it, good luck

THX. try to.

bor
    bor is offline D-bol Poppin'
    Challenge her to a bench press competition and tell her she won't be able to lift sh!t because her psyhique wouldn't allow it

Swoles idea ain't bad either...

Darkness is offline Member
    Well first off, how much do you weigh? Have you ever done long distance runs in your life and how much can you run at this point? If you weigh over 220, never really did anything over 3 miles and cant run more than 20 minutes now, well let me tell you. Yes you can do it, but it will take you a year of training to do it. And I dont know who's dumbazz said 4 miles twice a week, but you should do at least 4 miles twice a day, and a 10 miles once a week. Yes I've done 13 mile runs but I was a lean mean mother green killin machine back then with only 190.

Half marathons are for runners as a 405 bench is for lifters, if she wants you to run a half marathon tell her to bench a 405.

Semper Fi.

ducatibob is offline Junior Member

Do-able but tough.

Running extended distances is pretty much the opposite of heavy lifting. You’re training either most fast twitch muscle fibers or slow twitch. Balancing the two is a key component of being a true athlete. Your genetic make-up helps determine how easy this will be for you. Example a guy I work with who was a little above average in muscle build but also had a small gut went from zero workouts to running the Boston Marathon in three months. I on the other hand have beaten the living crap out of myself just trying to do 7-8 miles.

Definitely find a running store in your area (I found one in my town, they were a big help in getting really good running shoes) and see if there are any running clubs in your area. I'm not the type to join this kind of crowd but most of the guys I know that have completed the Boston Marathon started out with one of these clubs. They have a set routine based upon how far away an event is and they have a ton of info how to handle the injuries associated with long distance running

Thread Information