Thread: swimming?

dern180 is offline Member

swimming?

I was thinking of summing three days a week.(M-W-F) Now my qustion is trainng at the gym then going to do laps at the pool. Is that over training?

postel is offline Junior Member

Thumbs up

If you make the swimming your main activity for cardio. Their's no point in running miles in the gym then going to do laps in the pool.
    Swimming is a great way to burn the calories and I don't think it's as mundane as running on a tredmill. Just remember to dodge those vending machines on the way out, fitness killers.

thanks for the tip postal..so i should cut out cardio then. I was doing 20 every other day and just strated doing it 20 min a day after my workout.

tie
    tie is offline Junior Member
    Dern

I'd say that weight training and then pool could see you over training - but it depends on how much intensity you're putting into each. How long to your spend in the gym, and how long do you plan to spend in the pool? A couple of years back I was doing a similar routine- about a hour in the gym, and then maybe 45 mins full tilt in the pool. Got nowhere, just knackered.

I'm probably teaching you to suck eggs here, but ask yourself what your aims are; if your trying to gain weight and bulk up, then the swimming after your worlkout could see a lot of your efforts lost. You'd be better focusing in the weights, an dincreasing their intensity.

But if it's weight loss and improved cardio performance you're after, then the pool's a must.

good luck!

Tie

postel is offline Junior Member
    tie's right when i'm bulking I do zero cardio. But if you still want to swim and run in the gym then just work it out so when your weights sessions are short you can do a little cardio
    This is what i'm takin about;
    Weights ---------------------------------Cardio
    Chest----------------------------------------------15 min ski
    Back+abs-----------------------------------------10 min run
    off--------------------------------------------------20 min swim
    Arms+abs-----------------------------------------10 min run
    Legs------------------------------------------------5 min walk
    Shoulders-----------------------------------------off
    off---------------------------------------------------off

This is what I'm currently oing for my cutting cycle hope it gives you an idea of what i'm talking about.

I train with weights for an hour sometimes an hour 15 min no more then that. And after that it cardio for 20 min. Postal i read that even when bulking you should do some cardio. I mean every has a diff opion on this. I 'm just not too sure what to do. I might just stay with the 20 min cardio .

Thanks for the tips guys

Mounts is offline New Member
    i'm a competetive swimmer, i swim 6 days a week during the season, and about 3 off season....i never swim on the days i lift...if i lift before i swim, i'm too tight and dont get anywhere in the pool...if i lift after i swim i'm too burnt out to see any gains...my advice is do 1000-1500 yards on your offdays. i do about 3000-3500 in off season, during the season its 6-6500...1000 yards is only 40 laps...you should get that done in 20-25 minutes. dont sprint the laps, take them slow and stretch with every pull. if youre going for a killer workout in the pool, take a shirt and cut off the sleeves and wear that while you swim.....but if your not a good swimmer, dont do this, you'll drown yourself

Thread Information