Thread: advice welcome

InTraining is offline Junior Member

Exclamation advice welcome

i was wondering if anyone could suggest a good work out for me, im new to the gym scene and not quite sure what i am ment to be doing, i have already posted 1 message about this but didnt quite ask the right question.
    i can manage the gym 2-3 times a week as i work 2 jobs and im not too familiar on the names of the excersises ie "skull crushers", sound painfull to me.
    i am still using the machines instead of free weights, so and routines would be very welcome but please try to explaine what they are, i know things like squat and curl and bench press plus im english. my goal is to bulk up and lose a little bit of fat around my waist. i am 26 178lbs and not very strong, well not yet.
    thank you very much.

stocky121 is offline VET~ Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    have a look at this site bro

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/exercise1.htm

thanks mate, now all i need it a program to do these in, any suggestion for a first timer?

SHAOKAHN is offline Member
    No free weights? WHY?
    The basic compound movements are what you need to build you foundation.

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Yes, i would also suggest you move onto free weights ASAP. I use machines very little in my lifting and it is basically just to hit it in a different way etc..but of course this is after doing the same excercise with free weights.

in the gym i goto the machines and free weights are in seperate rooms and all the people that use the free weights are massive and i would feel stupid going in there and struggling with small weights in front of them while they are there lifting huge amounts.
    i know this sounds stupid but as i have said i am new to this gym and dont know anyone, therefore wouldnt feel comfortable.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by InTraining
    in the gym i goto the machines and free weights are in seperate rooms and all the people that use the free weights are massive and i would feel stupid going in there and struggling with small weights in front of them while they are there lifting huge amounts.
    i know this sounds stupid but as i have said i am new to this gym and dont know anyone, therefore wouldnt feel comfortable.
    F*ck them bro, you are there for you!!!

Everyone has to begin somewhere, but if you are letting "bigger guys" make you use machines because you feel uncomfortable, you are not giving yourself any kind of chance to really/truly progress and eventually BE ONE OF THOSE BIG GUYS.

Do it for you, f*ck them. Honestly, if I saw you using machines only in that other room and that's all you ever used, that would draw more attention to you in us saying, "he should use some free weights sometime and then maybe he'd really grow". Then once you were using the free weights, I'd look at you like, "well, at least he understands what it takes to truly change/progress, not like those idiots who use machines. Props to him no matter what his size".

Your call, but never let others prohibit you from utilizing what is better, especially when you know it's better.

~SC~

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAOKAHN
    No free weights? WHY?
    The basic compound movements are what you need to build you foundation.
    thats a defo,,

well im hoping to just use machines until i get a bit stronger and at least use the free weights without embarasing myself, i dont think you quite understand cos from the look of it it has been a very very long time since you were in my possition.
    i do know what you mean and thanks for the advice.

sooners04 is offline Senior Member
    Come on bro not EVERYBODY in the free weight section is Swolecat. There has to be a couple of us less than swole guys there. Get a buddy that is your size or smaller then you can at least show him up. (Thats what I do)

johnsomebody is offline Senior Member
    One of the biggest challenges in starting out lifting is the head game of not being intimidated by guys who are bigger than you. I believe if you can get beyond that you've made big progress and can move on to the next level. Go for it!

love 2 lift is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by InTraining

Just go for it Bro! I know that when I first started I was a little nervous too, but I just jumped in there and started lifting.

Just jump on in there and the guys will probably even help you out.

johnsomebody is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, believe it or not some of them turn out to be decent people.

Thread Information