n8or is offline Junior Member

high vs low reps

wut the hell is the difference, everyone used to tell me high rep cut up my body and the muscles got nice and cut, now people say that it doesent matter as long as i reach failiure.. but is there really a differece??

can u answer this Q once and for all. tnx

chest6 is offline Banned
    this question comes up quite frequently...but the answer is..everyone is different. Low reps high weight seem to put mass on for me quicker. High rep low weight seems to get my strength and endurance up..but when I go to higher weights I seem a little wobbly at first and I have to get used to it again. Try searching this.

JAYROD is offline Senior Member
    i agree that everyone is different. i've always heard too that lighter weight and high reps for definition but i go heavy with moderate to low (4-8) reps and i'm cut up pretty good. i think definition is a matter of body-fat.

NewlyDesigned is offline Junior Member
    Ya i heard its a myth that high reps = great definition and cuts. From what ive heard yer muscle will form the same way no matter how u workout because of genetics and the cut look is just from a low % of Body fat.

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by n8or
    wut the hell is the difference, everyone used to tell me high rep cut up my body and the muscles got nice and cut, now people say that it doesent matter as long as i reach failiure.. but is there really a differece??

yes there is a difference,This basically comes down to getting to now your muscle fibbers...

(Fast Twitch muscle fibers) have a quick contraction time and have a low tolerance for extended activities. These muscles are used primarily for anaerobic activities, or exercise that is conducted in quick, strong bursts. These fast twitch or short muscle fibers are divided into two categories: A, and B. Fast twitch A fibers are used for "prolonged" anaerobic activity, such as sprinting 100 meter or low repression weight training.
    Fast twitch fibers have an extremely low resistance to fatigue, these muscles tire the most easily of any muscle fibers. B fibers are used for very short anaerobic activities.

(Slow twitch muscle fibers) are used primarily in aerobic activity.These longer muscle fibers are highly resistant to fatigue, but they have a slower contraction time than fast twitch muscles. Endurance athletes, such as distance runners, have a high percentage of slow twitch muscle fibers in the body.the activities of daily life, most importantly, maintaining correct posture ect, ect, use of forearms and calve, these are used daily(well all muscles are used daily but these have a lot of impact)
    and possibly the forearms and calves are mostly comprised of these fibbers.

So I would say use both to get maximum development of your overall skeletal muscle. 6-15 i use...
    Last edited by S.P.G; 07-07-2005 at 04:03 AM.

n8or is offline Junior Member
    tnx, bro, well said!! copy than paste, hehe

love 2 lift is offline Associate Member
    I use 6-8 reps on just about everything, but at the end of my workout I will switch to high reps for a few sets to really get a good pump in whichever body part I am training that day.

HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n8or

getting "cut" is all about diet and cardio

chest6 is offline Banned
    ppl seem to think that high reps are for "definition" and low reps are for "bulk". I say lift heavy (4-8reps) cut the bf down and theres ur definition

ryan9101 is offline Associate Member
    Generally Speaking:

1-3 Reps = Power
    4-7 Reps = Strength
    8-12 Reps = Hypertrophy (Muscle growth)
    The strength stimulus is much lower over 15 reps with 15-20 reps being strictly for more muscular endurance.

hellapimpin is offline Anabolic Member
    i usually do my last set on bench with lower weight and hi reps to failure...i personally feel for me..that when i train with lower weight and higher reps that my endurance goes way up and i'm able to keep the strength up..quality gains..higher weight lower reps, my power goes up and strength, but subsides quicker if i don't work those muscle groups.

beuleux is offline Banned
    every one has a different magic number of reps because people respond differently to the same methods, one should try out the different combinations of magic numbers giving each at least a couple of months to work and then decide on the best method for you, personally I use between 8-6 reps for the first working set 6-4 for the second 4-2 for the third increasing the weight slightly each set and one or two one off reps after a short rest. this works for me but i know guys who swear by 10-8 reps and so on.

Thread Information