kikiboi is offline Junior Member

question about high reps and low reps

i know with low reps (6-8) it help to promote mass, and with high reps (toning up?) i hope thats right.

but i was wondering, i am trying to get bigger, but i read an article about one day doing a high rep set and the next week doing a low rep set.

does that work at all? what would you do?

_Tiger_ is offline Member
    It all depends on what your goals are..Do you want to look like Brad Pitt, or do you want to look like the guys on PUMP or FLEX magazine? Dont be afraid of "Mass", mass doesnt mean "blocky, fat muscles" mass just means bigger. a lot of people tend to think if they do powerlifting exercises or low reps, that they'll be "Blocky", but its all genetic. hope this helps

kamchez is offline Junior Member
    my goals are not to be a pro Bb.er ... I just want a niice beach body ...then again .."nice" is just a word and means different things to different people

I usually go for the low reps, do cardio and keep my diet in check ..and I've seen good gains and a nice "tone" ..but thats just me ...everyone is different

znak is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kikiboi
    i know with low reps (6-8) it help to promote mass, and with high reps (toning up?) i hope thats right.

but i was wondering, i am trying to get bigger, but i read an article about one day doing a high rep set and the next week doing a low rep set.

does that work at all? what would you do?
    Doing high rep and low rep both build muscle. Low rep adds volume, high rep adds density. You need to do both.

Since you are asking this question, you probably have not been lifting for long or have at least not been thinking about your lifting for long. I would stay in the 10 rep range for four set for a while until you have a good foundation. Ten reps mean that on the first set you could do more but you don't and on the last two sets you can't do more than ten. It takes a while in your training to understand your body's ability to do each exercise correctly.

As you become more advanced, you will need to do stuff to trick your body into growth. One way to do so is to adjust your reps. Squats for example give really good results in the 4-6 range and the 15-20 range if you are using the right weight for your ability and proper form.

In general, regardless of the number of reps you are doing, the last one in the set should ideally be the last one you can do.

If you are in the ten rep or lower range and do each set to the max, you are on your way to growth. If you could do another 2-3 reps on every set, your weight is too low for you.

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by znak
    Doing high rep and low rep both build muscle. Low rep adds volume, high rep adds density. You need to do both.

Since you are asking this question, you probably have not been lifting for long or have at least not been thinking about your lifting for long. I would stay in the 10 rep range for four set for a while until you have a good foundation. Ten reps mean that on the first set you could do more but you don't and on the last two sets you can't do more than ten. It takes a while in your training to understand your body's ability to do each exercise correctly.

As you become more advanced, you will need to do stuff to trick your body into growth. One way to do so is to adjust your reps. Squats for example give really good results in the 4-6 range and the 15-20 range if you are using the right weight for your ability and proper form.

In general, regardless of the number of reps you are doing, the last one in the set should ideally be the last one you can do.

If you are in the ten rep or lower range and do each set to the max, you are on your way to growth. If you could do another 2-3 reps on every set, your weight is too low for you.
    agreed,,,

kikiboi is offline Junior Member
    thanks you guys. but actually i have been lifting seriously now for almost 8 months now, i started out at 165 with 14 % body fat (6 ' 0") 23 age. and now am 175 pounds with 13.1 % body fat. but i just was curious about that?

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    For muscular strength, the reps should be in the 1-5 range. For muscular hypertrophy (increasing muscle fiber size), the reps should be in the 8-12 range. For muscular endurance, the reps should be in the 14-20 range. Since you already have developed the neuromuscular coordination to perform the multi-joint lifts, I would spend the majority of time in the 8-12 rep range. This is after all, your ultimate goal. I would stick with moderate reps for hypertrophy and low reps for strength.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by striker93
    For muscular strength, the reps should be in the 1-5 range. For muscular hypertrophy (increasing muscle fiber size), the reps should be in the 8-12 range. For muscular endurance, the reps should be in the 14-20 range. Since you already have developed the neuromuscular coordination to perform the multi-joint lifts, I would spend the majority of time in the 8-12 rep range. This is after all, your ultimate goal. I would stick with moderate reps for hypertrophy and low reps for strength.
    Everyone is different. A rep scheme that works for one person will not necessarily work for someone else. Experiment with all of these and see what works best for you.

yannick32 is offline Associate Member
    Yeah for me i do 4 sets of 15 reps and 4 exercices for big muscles and 2 for smaller ones, i do cardio 5 times a week on the stairmaster and try to keep active on the weekend.

Muscle definition is getting pertty impressive and i finally got my diet in check.

High reps seems to work best for me.

yannick32 is offline Associate Member
    Also i usually rest no more then 30 seconds between sets.

Thread Information