guest589745 is offline 2/3 Deca 1/3 Test

What is Proper Rest Between Sets for Mass/Strength

How much should I be resting between sets if I want to generally get as big and strong as possible? I am 23 yrs old, 225 lbs probly 20% BF, my split currently is this...

mon-chest
    tue-back
    wed-shoulders
    thu-weakpoint arms
    fri-legs
    about 12 sets per workout 15-8 rep range resting about 1 min between sets, or until I feel ready for the next set.

chest6 is offline Banned
    actually sounds good...what r measurements??

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by jaragon_1
    How much should I be resting between sets if I want to generally get as big and strong as possible? I am 23 yrs old, 225 lbs probly 20% BF, my split currently is this...

mon-chest
    tue-back
    wed-shoulders
    thu-weakpoint arms
    fri-legs
    about 12 sets per workout 15-8 rep range resting about 1 min between sets, or until I feel ready for the next set.
    This is a hard one to answer because there is benefits from both, with sorter rest period you will get a much gaiter pump, with more blood and nutrition flowing to the muscle, this is also a much harder workout as you will know if you have done it, with more rest you will find that you can use more weight for sure, but what do you expect you’ve just rested 4-5 minuets try lifting that heavy weight with less rest and it will be a different story one thing with shorter rest is that this will also increase your Heart Rate thus possibly burning more calories, but this could tern in to a circuit training season if you keep the rest to short .

Some things that happen when you use sorter rest

1 growth hormone output goes through the roof due to the short rest interval between sets and the high volume.

2 The body’s recuperation capabilities are upgraded in response to the stress imposed by the increasing volume of work coupled with short rest intervals.

3 Hypertrophy occurs muscle growth obviously…

And with more rest between sets

1 The testosterone levels go through the roof in response to the longer rest in between sets and the heavier weights.

2 As always you have to keep an eye on your training style as heaver weights could hinder this as the ego takes over.

3 higher risk of injury.

4 possibly stimulation of more muscle fibber with more weight as there is more stress on the actin and myofiber filaments.

Thread Information