Thread: two a days

flyguy7 is offline Associate Member

two a days

For a long time I've been splitting my workouts on certain days into two seperate workouts during the day (i have a lot of free time). so like on mondays i'd do chest around noon and then triceps later at night, but I'm starting to wonder if this is an effective way of doing things. Would it be smarter to do these two together at the same time and not split them over the day, same with back and bis? I'm positive I wuoldn't be able to push myself with the same intensity doing a bicep workout right after back, but if it's going to get me the results I'll give it all i have. thanks

Squatman51 is offline Senior Member
    thats how I usually do it too... I will train chest in the morning and then later in the day i will train triceps in the evening. I can use full intensity for each part then... I think it is an effective way of training

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I'd do triceps w/chest, as they are usually taxed pretty well after all my pressing anyhow.

Going back to the gym to hit a SMALL bodypart that has already been hit pretty hard earlier that SAME DAY, would only over-train the shit out of me personally. In addition, my PWO meals and approaches would never make sense when trying to figure out what to eat for something as small as triceps! (Glycogen replinishment/recovery/etc.)

Just my $.02, you have to find what works for you. If it ain't broke...........

~SC~

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by flyguy7
    For a long time I've been splitting my workouts on certain days into two seperate workouts during the day (i have a lot of free time). so like on mondays i'd do chest around noon and then triceps later at night, but I'm starting to wonder if this is an effective way of doing things. Would it be smarter to do these two together at the same time and not split them over the day, same with back and bis? I'm positive I wuoldn't be able to push myself with the same intensity doing a bicep workout right after back, but if it's going to get me the results I'll give it all i have. thanks
    isn’t that like hitting triceps two times in one day ?

scriptfactory is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by S.P.G
    isn’t that like hitting triceps two times in one day ?
    Basically, yes. I really don't see the point in doing that.

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by scriptfactory
    Basically, yes. I really don't see the point in doing that.
    agreed, what about tri, recovery...this could hinder it big time..

well I changed it up yesterday and put my chest and tris workout together. It took forever, but i did it. Tris don't feel as sore today, but I know that doesn't always mean anything. I'll give it a shot again today with back/bis.

j martini is offline Member
    Well i would never train triceps after chest or biceps after back. Well not anymore anyway. About a year ago i started training biceps after chest and triceps after back and my arms grew very quickly and hit a growth spurt.

Lately i have devoted an entire day to just biceps and triceps and they have responded brilliantly.
    IMO you cannot do justice to your triceos when you hit them after chest or biceps after back.
    This is the way 90% of the pros doit now unless very genetically gifted in the arm department like Ronnie Coleman.

JuicyJim is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j martini
    Well i would never train triceps after chest or biceps after back. Well not anymore anyway. About a year ago i started training biceps after chest and triceps after back and my arms grew very quickly and hit a growth spurt.

Lately i have devoted an entire day to just biceps and triceps and they have responded brilliantly.
    IMO you cannot do justice to your triceos when you hit them after chest or biceps after back.
    This is the way 90% of the pros doit now unless very genetically gifted in the arm department like Ronnie Coleman.
    I agree 100% i train bi's and tri's alone, by training them alone i'm fully able to concentrate on heavier weights and proper form, mine have responded greatly. Training biceps after back puts you at a disadvantage because 1. your already tired and cannot devote your total energy and focus into them, and 2. you cannot lift as heavy as weights with proper form(which promotes growth) after a real grueling back workout, anybody who thinks differently is bascially kidding themselves.

I've thought about giving a seperate arm day a shot too, they're really lagging lately, and I don't think I did any better right after the chest and back workouts. Which day do you guys do your arm workout? What's your split look like?

And do you guys do your whole bicep workout, then your tricep workout, or do you do like a bicep excercise, then a tricep excercise? Or maybe a bicep set and tehn a tricep set?

Quote Originally Posted by JuicyJim
    after a real grueling back workout, anybody who thinks differently is bascially kidding themselves.
    I am not kidding myself, and I have 21 inch arms.

To each his own I guess?

If you do back work correctly, your arms are nothing more than anchors that allow your back to pull the weight. If you lift incorrectly or use too heavy of a weight, you use too much bicep and tire quickly in that area. When I do back/bi's, the back work simply warms up my biceps for the blasting that is to come.

Whatever floats your boat and works for you.

~SC~

scriptfactory is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat

To each his own I guess?

If you do back work correctly, your arms are nothing more than anchors that allow your back to pull the weight. If you lift incorrectly or use too heavy of a weight, you use too much bicep and tire quickly in that area. When I do back/bi's, the back work simply warms up my biceps for the blasting that is to come.

~SC~
    Swole brings up a very important point. For a long time, years ago, I was working my biceps too much when I was supposed to be working back. I was wondering why my back wasn't growing while I had huge arms! LOL! Make sure you are working your back, not your biceps. Don't use your arms to pull the weight, use your back.

JuicyJim is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat

To each his own I guess?

~SC~
    Yes you have 21 inch arms but maybe if you did a bicep only workout you could have 22 inch arms? or maybe not maybe you feel that workout works best for you and that's great, but remember what i said after a back work out "1. your already tired and cannot devote your total energy and focus into them, and 2. you cannot lift as heavy as weights with proper form(which promotes growth) after a real grueling back workout" would you disagree with those 2 statements?

j martini is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flyguy7
    And do you guys do your whole bicep workout, then your tricep workout, or do you do like a bicep excercise, then a tricep excercise? Or maybe a bicep set and tehn a tricep set?

I do my biceps first then tris. I finish all my bicep work then move on to tris.
    Triceps respond better than my biceps.

My split is
    Mon- Chest,calves
    Tues- Back
    Wed- OFF
    Thur- Arms
    Fri- shoulders,traps
    Sat- Legs
    Sun-off

I train my strongest bodyparts at the end of the week Legs and shoulders. I am currently actually only training my legs off cycle as they grow far to easily and have a tendency to overpower my upper body. This is working well thay are maintaining there size while my upper body catches up.

Quote Originally Posted by JuicyJim
    Yes you have 21 inch arms but maybe if you did a bicep only workout you could have 22 inch arms? or maybe not maybe you feel that workout works best for you and that's great, but remember what i said after a back work out "1. your already tired and cannot devote your total energy and focus into them, and 2. you cannot lift as heavy as weights with proper form(which promotes growth) after a real grueling back workout" would you disagree with those 2 statements?
    Of course I disagree with those two statements, hence my original reply.

They are your opinionated statements, not solidified facts of any kind. Who says I cannot devote my "total energy" to arms? Who says I can't lift the same heavy weight that I could if I did biceps alone? As well, who says that I "have" to lift heavy weight on biceps to get them to grow? I know my body and I know what works for me.

Put it this way, as I said the back work is a warm-up for my biceps. That being said, I can lift the same weight after back as I do warming up regularly for bicep work on a seperate day. It makes no difference in my performance on bicep lifts no matter when I do them, and I attribute this to having great form in all of my exercises and using the appropriate poundages to assure that great form.

Carry on.........

~SC~
    Last edited by SwoleCat; 07-13-2005 at 09:26 PM.

Rob
    Rob is offline Canadian Legend
    cheers

Thread Information