TonyM is offline Junior Member

How Many Sets?????

I need advice on sets..

For smaller muscle groups (bis, tris, shoulders, calfs) i do a total of 9 sets each when training and 12 to 15 sets for larger muscle groups (chest, back, legs).. After talking to a guy in the gym (who is huge and getting ready for competition) he advised me that i should be doing at least 20 sets per muscle group..

What do you guys think of this???

Im currently 210lbs 12%bf and aiming for 240lbs with about 10%bf

guest589745 is offline 2/3 Deca 1/3 Test
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyM
    I need advice on sets..

For smaller muscle groups (bis, tris, shoulders, calfs) i do a total of 9 sets each when training and 12 to 15 sets for larger muscle groups (chest, back, legs).. After talking to a guy in the gym (who is huge and getting ready for competition) he advised me that i should be doing at least 20 sets per muscle group..

Im currently 210lbs 12%bf and aiming for 240lbs with
    about 10%bf

HA, I don't think so man, IMO that is too much, especially for a person who is not accustomed to lifting ( not to say that you arent). I do about 6-8 sets of pure direct biceps training a week, same for tris. Thatsa just me but, I think it works well. Other movements give you enough stimulation in your arms to get growth. I would suggest resting enough between sets to get the most weight out of the next set, but thats just me.

I nearly fell over when he said at least 20sets per muscle group! it just didnt make sence to me! quick example, a few years ago i was doing about 15sets for shoulders and they just wern`t growing, so i dropped it down to 9 sets and I started to get more gains..

Is it really down to the individual or does it make more sence to do more sets???

guest589745 is offline 2/3 Deca 1/3 Test
    From my own personal experience, more sets/ less rest between sets=greater risk of overtraining

collar is offline Anabolic Member
    well it is a greater risk over training....
    for some people 20 sets works but there is a small amount of them out there...
    i would sugest u do what works best for u...
    but just a basic outline 8 sets should be sweet...
    somewhere bout there ......
    but every person is different..
    so expirement see what works best for u..... but i would finish of by saying 20 sets i think most of the time that will lead to overtraining.....

Thanks for your replies guy! you`ve reaffirmed what i thought!

I`ve always thought i`ve got a good enough pump after 9sets, just needed reassurance!

thanks again

HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    I need advice on sets..

Im currently 210lbs 12%bf and aiming for 240lbs with about 10%bf

"For smaller muscle groups (bis, tris, shoulders, calfs) i do a total of 9 sets each when training and 12 to 15 sets for larger muscle groups (chest, back, legs).."

yup

devil1 is offline Jacked Jarhead
    I nearly fell over when he said at least 20sets per muscle group! it just didnt make sence to me! quick example, a few years ago i was doing about 15sets for shoulders and they just wern`t growing, so i dropped it down to 9 sets and I started to get more gains..

Is it really down to the individual or does it make more sence to do more sets???
    yes it is up to the individual, i myself make better gains doing fewer sets of targeting exercises, on the other hand a good friend of mine often spends hour and a half to two hours in the gym and makes great gains. try out differnet styles, see what works for you. i will go in and over 20 sets once a month just to stir things up.

fritz2435 is offline Member
    No natural athlete should be doing 20 sets per body part. Might be okay with a lot of chemical help.

dazbo is offline Senior Member
    heres my oppinion -

20 sets is way too much. Especially when trying to grow. It may be slightly beneficial cardio wise but thats all. To grow, I read something recently that confirmed that its not all about getting the pump thats good. Its more, the stress placed on the muscles over its full length. You could do 100 reps on a really light barbell curl but you wont grow, but you will still feel the pump. To get good increases in strength and also good size gains, reps of 6-10 are best, barring the final set where you might only be able to get 3-4reps.

Another thing is, the best way to growth, is to shock the muscle. If you normally do 9sets, change! Do tri-sets,supersets,isolations, negatives, compounds, high rep light weight, heavy weight low reps, alter the muscles you work ouy on particular days. You normall do bis with back, change to having a seperate arms day, seperate back day and so on. Some days, cheat a little with the heavy weight to get it moving instead of having perfect form (Just make sure your warmed up correctly!), this is a good way IMO - you use body talk to get the weight up, then cos its heavier than normal, you are lowering (Easier than lifting it) that heavier weight with perfect form.

There is no one way that will guarantee you the best gains because in the end, your body will get used to it and in order to grow, it will require a shock change.

Bigpup101 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dazbo
    heres my oppinion -

20 sets is way too much. Especially when trying to grow. It may be slightly beneficial cardio wise but thats all. To grow, I read something recently that confirmed that its not all about getting the pump thats good. Its more, the stress placed on the muscles over its full length. You could do 100 reps on a really light barbell curl but you wont grow, but you will still feel the pump. To get good increases in strength and also good size gains, reps of 6-10 are best, barring the final set where you might only be able to get 3-4reps.

Another thing is, the best way to growth, is to shock the muscle. If you normally do 9sets, change! Do tri-sets,supersets,isolations, negatives, compounds, high rep light weight, heavy weight low reps, alter the muscles you work ouy on particular days. You normall do bis with back, change to having a seperate arms day, seperate back day and so on. Some days, cheat a little with the heavy weight to get it moving instead of having perfect form (Just make sure your warmed up correctly!), this is a good way IMO - you use body talk to get the weight up, then cos its heavier than normal, you are lowering (Easier than lifting it) that heavier weight with perfect form.

There is no one way that will guarantee you the best gains because in the end, your body will get used to it and in order to grow, it will require a shock change.
    nicely put

HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dazbo
    heres my oppinion -

that what i do, i use like 90% good form on the positive to get that heavy ass weight up and then 110% perfect form on the negative!

Thread Information