musclestack is offline Productive Member

getting chest bigger

Hey, guys. I was wondering how I could get my chest wider and more FULL. I have a fairly strong chest (bench around 335 lbs. for 3 reps), but it just won't grow like my other muscles do. I'm thinking it could be a genetic problem, but if so, is there any way to correct it? My workout consists of:

Flat Bench: 4 sets
    Incline Bench: 4 sets
    Decline Bench: 4 sets
    Flys (with cables): 4 sets

I switch from barbell to dumbell from week to week. Someone I know suggested doing dips. Would that help my chest physique? Any other suggestions???
    Thanks, guys,
    MS

ReX357 is offline "Toughest & Best Looking Guy Around Here"
    Try increasing the weight every workout. Those 2.5 lbs plates should be your friends.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Maybe also cut back on the volume a bit!

What are the rep ranges for all of your work?

~SC~

JerzeyBoy is offline Member
    I could be wrong and someone please correct me if I am but I believe your problem may be the decline bench press...

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by JerzeyBoy
    I could be wrong and someone please correct me if I am but I believe your problem may be the decline bench press...
    Please explain a little more bro,,

C_Bino is offline $BAM-7246~AR-Hall of Famer
    Could be genetic. I have a friend who will bench more than me but his chest is flat as hell. Also look at Lee Priest, sometimes some people just cant get as big as other people in certain areas.
    Also try doing a lot of fly work, really can add the width to ur chest, I have noticed a dif. in mine after concentrating on a lot of flies, even pec deck. Try doing flat flies, seated flies with cables and even incline flies. Many variations and it may help...

-Bino

musclestack is offline Productive Member

thanks

Thanks, guys. I try and keep my reps very low. Set 1: 8 reps; set 2: 6 reps; set 3: to failure; set 4: drop set.

TonyM is offline Junior Member
    ensure your flexing your pecs with each rep, this will help

zoso428 is offline Associate Member
    arnodl did pullovers to increase chest width.............

devil1 is offline Jacked Jarhead
    pullovers.....just what i was going to suggest. beat me to it zoso

hexadec is offline Junior Member
    Try stretching your chest out with some dumbells after your workout. Do this lightly on the following recovery days. You can change the angle of your arms and stretch different areas of your pectorals. Try to get a good stretch untill you feel light pain and hold that till you can't stand it.

decadbal is offline Banned
    since i brought dips into my chest routine, ive noticed it gettin wider and more full on the bottom

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    Heavy ass dips.... and seriously drop some of the presses, no need for all that.

TCEL300 is offline Member
    any1 use the decline machine...or stick to free weights?...also db presses or stick to the bar?...i appreciate the advice

TCEL300 is offline Member
    any1 use the decline machine...or stick to free weights?...also db presses or stick to the bar?...i appreciate the advice

gio86 is offline Member
    all the sugestions are good..aply them diffrently on diffrent work outs..and switch from starting flat and then to incline...your upper chest is what makes it stick out and come out bigger so start incline heavy

CapnZ is offline Associate Member
    Had my best results using 2 - 3 (most) diff movements in chest routine - 4 sets per movement and mixing them up week to week. I got to agree with above that incline press / dips work real well.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Try dropping a press and the cb fly. Still use all three angles, though. Now incorporate db flies into the mix. My brother had the same problem and I told him to lose the cb's and pick up the db's and his pecs got fuller.

Darkness is offline Member
    Ditch the BB press for a while and do some DB presses

just push yourself to 345 x 5, 370 x 3 flat bench, and use heavy dumbell presses- i'm talkin' 140 pounds+ each, also work your tri's and shoulders heavy and hard for short periods of time- don't overtrain or you will lose vital powerand hurt your joints

also a shot to the ass of Test might help...

heavylifter99 is offline Junior Member
    I had the same problem and I switched my routine and have noticed a big difference. No matter what you have always got to switch it up, but instead of starting with bench, flat bench like 95% of everone does, I suggest getting warmed up with flat flys, light weight to get a good strech and blood flowing. Then go to incline press, cable crossovers, incline flys, then flat bench.. in that order,you will notice a difference give it 6-8 weeks. Now your bench is going to be as high as it normaly is, but a lot of us put our ego to high, and want to bench as much as we can, but if your serious about getting size and results I would suggest this routine.. it will definalty help.. good luck

Tattoo70 is offline Associate Member
    This is just my 2 cents but I had trouble with my chest. It just wouldn't grow. I contracted at the top of my presses and everything. Nothing worked. Dips nothing. Then a friend told me to stick my chest out when I benched. Like you're trying to show it off or something. The next workout I tried it and it burned me up! I didn't know I could feel a workout like that! It really worked.

tt2323 is offline Junior Member
    I think your limited to genetics for the most part in that dept. depending on your training history. I wouldn't do a 4 drop sets thats overkill

Thread Information