JerzeyBoy is offline Member

Doing bent laterals...feeling back more than shoulders...

I see that these are bent laterals and now knowing what they are my question is doesn't this help the back better than the shoulders? It supposed to be a shoulder excercise... Can someone help me out with this, because even when i do them I feel my back getting a better workout, im trying to do it as demonstrated in the picture, so what am I doing wrong??
    Last edited by JerzeyBoy; 07-20-2005 at 01:01 AM.

lucabratzi is offline Anabolic Member
    it does work out back also, thats why some people workout delts and back on same day. but if u want just the shouder workout, maby focus more with pulling the weight with ur shoulders rather than back. sounds weird but its the only thing i can think of

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    i do them after back because of thet point...

lcpl kill is offline Associate Member
    the way that guy is doing it its going to hit more of your back because your using your rhomboids more so than your rear delts. when i do rear delts i sit on the end of bench and go under my legs, if you keep it strict it will kill your rear delts.

lcpl kill is offline Associate Member
    if you want to do it the same way as the picture just keep your shoulder blades locked to the rear this will help reduce the use of your back muscles.

SHAOKAHN is offline Member
    Try a reverse pec-deck to get the "feel" of your shoulders working,
    then go back to dumbells and experiment with body positions till you get roughly the same "feeling".

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    That guy is bending over far too much, like he's gettin' it in the ass.

Just bend slightly forward when doing side laterals and you'll feel it in the rear delts.

~SC~

collar is offline Anabolic Member
    few thing
    the way he is turning his arm on the way up..
    that more like a rowing motion which then works back...
    try not turning ur wrist like he is just go straight up...
    another thing try lifting with you elbows not so much ur back....
    and bring ur elbows away from ur body... so ur lifting up and outwards abit... try that.
    u will have to start light tho to get used to this motion.
    it is hard to do..

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    He is extending his lower back, which allows him to use more resistance on the exercise. Keep the upper arms perpendicular to the torso and you should feel the exercise in the rear delts more. My guess is that you might be letting your elbows drift back and that why you're feeling the more of the exercise in the back.

JNel04 is offline Associate Member
    i've also tried doing this w/ an incline bench. it doesnt allow you to use ur back, but you will probably not be able to use as much weight...it focuses more on your form

C_Bino is offline $BAM-7246~AR-Hall of Famer
    I tend to feel it more in my shoulders if i keep my forearms at a 90 degree angle with my biceps and just really pull with my shoulders. The movement depicted in ur example is more or less the "reverse fly" its like doing flies for ur chest but you're working ur back. It makes sense to me thinkin of it that way when you also consider that chest and back muscles oppose eachothers movements. Chest pushes back pulls etc.

Try it the way I said and see how u like it.

-Bino

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    That guy is bending over far too much, like he's gettin' it in the ass.

Just bend slightly forward when doing side laterals and you'll feel it in the rear delts.

~SC~
    Also..keep your elbows in line with your shoulders. This way you'll pulling "up and out" to the side...as opposed to "up and back".

"Up and out to the side" works the rear delts and to the a lesser extent, the middle of the trapezius

"Up and back" (what most people do) works the rhomboids/ middle traps and to a lesser extent, the rear deltoids.

"Up and back" is usually the form people are forced into when they try to execute the movement using a too-heavy weight. It is in effect a modified dumbell row. Obviously making less than ideal from rear-delt isolation.

I either do my bent laterals seated similar to how "lcpl kill" described..or... i do 'em 'free'..standind...bent over at the waist...with my forehead resting on a bench that is just below waist-height

~Nark

Darkness is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat

~SC~
    Yep, I do this same way too and dont even spend time on the rear delts cause they get a workout in cunjunction with side laterals and when doing bent over one arm rows.

Squatman51 is offline Senior Member
    if you have to right form and technique and feel the muscle doing the work you can blast them with bent over laterals.... also twist the DB toward the top of the movement like you are spilling a glass of water and you will feel it more

Thread Information