Triceps need work, here is my plan of attack

Damnit, my arms have never broken 18 1/2" and its pissing me off. For somebody who is 220 something at 10% right now 18 1/2 is small!!! The biggest problem I've been having lately is not feeling enough blood/pump in my tricep. I can go heavy with good form on most tri exercises, but I'm just not getting that feeling, that mind muscle connection. So I've decided to go back to the basics for awhile, more dips and close grip pushups along with my other movements like pressdowns and extensions. I'm going to try to do 3-4 sets of close grip pushups really slow and controlled, along with weighted dips to break through this plateau. I need the tris to come out wider from the arm, I think putting my hands like a triangle and hitting some real real slow and controlled pushups may be the ticket, what do you guys think, back to some basics or what?

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by stayinstacked
    Damnit, my arms have never broken 18 1/2" and its pissing me off. For somebody who is 220 something at 10% right now 18 1/2 is small!!! The biggest problem I've been having lately is not feeling enough blood/pump in my tricep. I can go heavy with good form on most tri exercises, but I'm just not getting that feeling, that mind muscle connection. So I've decided to go back to the basics for awhile, more dips and close grip pushups along with my other movements like pressdowns and extensions. I'm going to try to do 3-4 sets of close grip pushups really slow and controlled, along with weighted dips to break through this plateau. I need the tris to come out wider from the arm, I think putting my hands like a triangle and hitting some real real slow and controlled pushups may be the ticket, what do you guys think, back to some basics or what?
    I think it would be a good idea going back to basics if you haven’t been down that road for a while,as you probably no the bigger you become, and the more you progress, the harder it is to gain, you could try some sort of shocking system to how bout this..

When you do a set it Is thought that the last two of three reps are the ones that will make the muscle grow, with this in mind how bout starting with the last three having the last three in the middle and ending with the last three.. confused!! Ok

Doing skullkrusher as a example (set will consist of 9 reps)

1 Find a weight that you can ONLY do 3 reps with no more.

2 On another bar put enough weight on so you can only achieve another 3 reps. (ONLY 3)

3 Then the last bar with enough to do 3 again.(ONLY 3)

So when you start the set it will be as hard as if you are finishing, the middle should be the same, and the end..have some one pass you the bars, hand them in. this I good for the biceps to, culls especially. If you haven’t tried this give it a bash I will blow you away…you may need time to find the correct weights for you. So instead of curling or extending away to get to the reps that make you grow, you are already there.
    Last edited by S.P.G; 07-21-2005 at 03:59 AM.

TonyM is offline Junior Member
    maybe throw some slow kickbacks in at the end of yor session too mate

Quote Originally Posted by TonyM
    maybe throw some slow kickbacks in at the end of yor session too mate
    kickbacks are a good exercise if you want girls arms

ReX357 is offline "Toughest & Best Looking Guy Around Here"
    Quote Originally Posted by S.P.G
    kickbacks are a good exercise if you want girls arms
    So true. Kickbacks do nothing. There's just a small part of the exercise that make your tricep work. Close grip bench press and Skull Crushers are where it's at. You can also had an exercise which I don't know the name.

You grab a pair on dumbells, you lay on your back, you place your hands in the air like a skull crusher except you twist your hand 90degree to be hammer style. You lower the dumbells at the side of your head and extend back up like a skull crusher.

Peace

thanks for the help guys, I'll try some of that out

Pump_30 is offline Junior Member
    The lack of Muscle pump could be ur diet too......you on a low to mod carb diet?

Eat some extra rice or pasta on tricep day and see if that will work.....

When I start reducing carb intake....somedays I'm flat as hell......

Dally is offline The Dally Lama
    SKULLCRUSHERS ARE IRREPLACEABLE

and not closegrip pushups, you gotta do some close grip bench

start off with a set of SC's then again then really heavy.

then off to CG bench then again then really heavy

the back to SC's and then RIGHT TO CG tris pushdowns to burn
    again about 3 or 4 supersets total and you'll be cooked.

but skullcrushers are the best....especially on a bent bar

chest6 is offline Banned
    man 18.5" is not small at 220 and 10%...

Dally is offline The Dally Lama
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    man 18.5" is not small at 220 and 10%...

hmmm thanks I thought it was too

RJstrong is offline Senior Member
    The foundation of my tricep routine is heavy close grip bench... the king of tricep exercises... well, at least in my opinion.

ward065 is offline Member
    hmm...not sure i agree totally with the kickbacks being a bad exercise. i usually do them every other triceps workout and i can get an excellent pump through a slow and controlled motion to failure...i kind of followed Darrem Charles' idea on this to use a not-too-heavy of weight with controlled motion, and it burns the triceps

decadbal is offline Banned
    nosebreakers, skullcrushers.. those are the best tricep builders for me, i dont care what anyone says, close grip bench doesnt compare...least not for me.. do good heavy nosebreakers for a few months and see if that doesnt get you bigger..

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    Ever done JM Press? Give them a shot...

dr.shred is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blown_SC
    Ever done JM Press? Give them a shot...
    very good for tri's

Quote Originally Posted by ward065
    hmm...not sure i agree totally with the kickbacks being a bad exercise. i usually do them every other triceps workout and i can get an excellent pump through a slow and controlled motion to failure...i kind of followed Darrem Charles' idea on this to use a not-too-heavy of weight with controlled motion, and it burns the triceps
    I hear what your saying but you can use that slow Darrem Charles style with a more productive exercise like extensions, or skullkrushers, the kickbacks dose hit all three heads of the triceps, but that’s all,

Ejuicer is offline Anabolic Member
    Close grip bench, between bench dips and skullcrushers should get them growing.

Benches505 is offline 75% HGH 25% Testosterone
    Quote Originally Posted by Dally
    SKULLCRUSHERS ARE IRREPLACEABLE

and not closegrip pushups, you gotta do some close grip bench

start off with a set of SC's then again then really heavy.

then off to CG bench then again then really heavy

the back to SC's and then RIGHT TO CG tris pushdowns to burn
    again about 3 or 4 supersets total and you'll be cooked.

but skullcrushers are the best....especially on a bent bar
    I agree with Dally, skull crushers and close grip bench will help you get what you are looking for. Work with heavy weight! The more the better and keep reps to 8 or less.

Thread Information