Safety31 is offline Banned

stairmaster question

for cardio in the morning they say you should do it for like 30 min and stay at ur heartrate so you dont lose muscle..but when i do the stairmaster my heartrate shoots up even at a low level...what should i do???

SHRED is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Safety31
    for cardio in the morning they say you should do it for like 30 min and stay at ur heartrate so you dont lose muscle..but when i do the stairmaster my heartrate shoots up even at a low level...what should i do???
    keep your heart rate at 65-75% of your max rate. Try walking on an incline on the treadmill.

Jerzey is offline Member
    I love the stairmaster but it kills my knees. You can do interval training on the stairmaster too.. start low, every minute go up one level until you reach your max (when you can't go higher) and drop it back down, and do the same.. 20 minutes like that will burn fat quick! HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training).. just push yourself each time....

well i heard its bad to do cardio past your target heart rate on an empty stomach because youll start to burn muscle

Jerzey is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Safety31
    well i heard its bad to do cardio past your target heart rate on an empty stomach because youll start to burn muscle
    Well, that's true, it depends on your goals, what your diet it, your exercise routine, etc. It's not just one thing or the other.. i build, but now I'm dieting and I upped my cardio to 45 minutes to an hour 5-6 times a week... but I'm still holding my muscle.. Interval training for 20 minutes won't burn muscle.. or so Bill Phillips' Body For Life book says...

my diet is based on the cutting diet on this forum..i work out 5 times a week..like 3-4 sets w/ 10 reps per exercise..im trying to do cardio at least 3 times a week in the morning..

Jerzey is offline Member
    HIIT will not burn fat if you don't do it for a long time. The point is to cut your cardio down to 20 mins, instead of say 45 of casual cardio (not really pushing yourself).. sounds like you know what you are doing! You should read that book I mentioned, Body for Life, awesome book on diet and training IMO!

I do 45 minutes of HIIT now 5-6 days a week to drop my bf, I'm sure I'm burning some muscle too but I'm still lifting regularly and eating right so that doesn't bother me.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Safety, if your goal is to burn pure FAT, stay away from HIIT!!! On E you will catabolize lean muscle tissue as the heart-rate is OVER that of the one that burns fatty acids (FAT) for fuel, and the common HIIT routine is 20 mins. It TAKES 15-20 mins to tap INTO fat stores for fuel, so 20 mins ain't gonna do shit for you in that regard, only thing you'll do is lose muscle.

If you wish to do HIIT for CONDITIONING, that's another issue, but people EAT before they do that, as FAT LOSS is NOT the goal, VO2 max and conditioning is. You have to examine what your goals are, then realize what methods address those goals.

~SC~

thanks swole..ive been doing the elliptical for 30 min at fat burn..my heart rate says at like 135 and i burn like 450 calories, its just people were saying how good the stairmaster is so i wanted to try it

Jerzey is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Safety, if your goal is to burn pure FAT, stay away from HIIT!!! On E you will catabolize lean muscle tissue as the heart-rate is OVER that of the one that burns fatty acids (FAT) for fuel, and the common HIIT routine is 20 mins. It TAKES 15-20 mins to tap INTO fat stores for fuel, so 20 mins ain't gonna do shit for you in that regard, only thing you'll do is lose muscle.

If you wish to do HIIT for CONDITIONING, that's another issue, but people EAT before they do that, as FAT LOSS is NOT the goal, VO2 max and conditioning is. You have to examine what your goals are, then realize what methods address those goals.

~SC~
    On E?

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    EMPTY.......not ecstasy.

~SC~

Jerzey is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    EMPTY.......not ecstasy.

~SC~
    Man, I feel like such a blonde lately... someone said they like their women with lots of cc's before and I didn't get that either... I think it's all this dieting and cardio

Ok, I see what you are saying then, but the interval training really works for me. I started shedding bf and I'm holding my muscle.. although, I have enough that I can afford lose some so I'm not too worried about that... Do you disagree with Bill Phillips theory? I'm sure you know of it...

I didn't like ecstasy way back when I tried it, I don't think I'll ever do that again

Thread Information