jerseyboy is offline Anabolic Member

Do you train when your sick?

I came down with a summer cold on Monday and I've felt like death. There was no way I could drag my ass in to the gym on Monday, tues. and wed. but today I feel somewhat better. I really feel guilty for not training. Normally a cold wouldn't stop me but I don't want to get sicker. Should I wait til I'm fully recovered or is it ok to go in and do a light workout. I've been eating 3,000 mg of vitamin C and some garlic pills everyday.

RJstrong is offline Senior Member
    no, be considerate of others around you...and if you train hard enough missing a few days isn't going to hinder long term goals... be patient, get yourself better and come back with a vengeance!

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    I train when i'm sick...if my body permits it.

Sickness isn't cut and dry.

Bodybuilding is about listening and learning from your body... If it says eat...feed it...If it's tired...rest.

That's my guide for training while sick... If it says..."NO!"...then don't

Don't pretend...and force it.

~Nark

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RJstrong
    no, be considerate of others around you...
    This is a valid consideration...

If you're contagious..stay outta direct contact with people.

If you're ill but don't feel run-down...active rest may benefit you:

i.e. beach training etc.

~Nark

If I'm like flu sick, or throwing up, absolutely not. But with a head cold or something like that I'll go once every couple days and just train light. Probably not good, but I'm stubborn like that

Benches505 is offline 75% HGH 25% Testosterone
    Quote Originally Posted by RJstrong
    no, be considerate of others around you...and if you train hard enough missing a few days isn't going to hinder long term goals... be patient, get yourself better and come back with a vengeance!
    I agree with RJ, a few days is nothing in the scheme of things. Rest, eat and come back strong.

Dally is offline The Dally Lama
    I had some kinda virus about 5 or 6 years ago, I went to the doctor and he gave me some pills. They were like big black and white capsules like big penicillin pills that I had to take for a full week as far as I can remember

well, I was natural at that point and was pressing 3 plates a side for military presses for reps, but since I took those pills I press 3 plates and a quarter a side for 10 reps....

I totally blew away my record...to this day I have never been able to explain that but those pills were the only thing different besides the fact that I was sick.

odd eh?

Benches505 is offline 75% HGH 25% Testosterone
    Quote Originally Posted by Dally
    I had some kinda virus about 5 or 6 years ago, I went to the doctor and he gave me some pills. They were like big black and white capsules like big penicillin pills that I had to take for a full week as far as I can remember

well, I was natural at that point and was pressing 3 plates a side for military presses for reps, but since I took those pills I press 3 plates and a quarter a side for 10 reps....

I totally blew away my record...to this day I have never been able to explain that but those pills were the only thing different besides the fact that I was sick.

odd eh?
    I'm not trying to Hijack this thread but DAYUM boy! 375 military for 10 reps W freewights is impressive! I've never seen anyone do that much for 10 reps with my own eyes. Hopefully I'll get there too in the not too distant future.

***Props to you

Quote Originally Posted by Benches505
    I'm not trying to Hijack this thread but DAYUM boy! 375 military for 10 reps W freewights is impressive! I've never seen anyone do that much for 10 reps with my own eyes. Hopefully I'll get there too in the not too distant future.

***Props to you

thanks alot man, it wasn't free weights it was on the smith press.

I would normally rep 3 plates a side easy ... and it felt like butter, I was like WTF ...IM SICK?!!?!?!

so, I said fuk it, lets do it....and thats what happened ...actually now come to think of it, i tried it after my sickness a few times and got it up but it was never the same as that... I blew my gut once too, which fukin killed.

I have beat the hell outta my shoulders and did ALOT of pressing moves...not so much anymore ..but still.

good ol days

oldandgrim is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Benches505
    This is not normal where you train?

Quote Originally Posted by oldandgrim
    This is not normal where you train?

you mean me?

well if so, at that time I lifted weights at Premiere fitness in Markham Ontario Canada.

yep.

keep in mind that some smith's are for some reason heavier than others but the plates dont lie.

lcpl kill is offline Associate Member
    thats pretty good i was ballin when i could do 315 for reps free stylin. i never train when im sick eat and rest. if you have something like a throat infection and do some cardio it can actually spread to your lungs and you might develope a lung infection.

oldandgrim is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dally
    you mean me?

well if so, at that time I lifted weights at Premiere fitness in Markham Ontario Canada.

yep.

keep in mind that some smith's are for some reason heavier than others but the plates dont lie.
    Not directed at you man. thats a good lift. what do you do with dumb bells? i press 80kg bells on flat bress.

flat bench with dumbells for chest?...hmmm then 140's for good reps

now...The heaviest at my gym I use now is 120lb ers so I do drop sets with smith press barbell.

so I'd go something like 120's incline to fail then to flat barbell to fail then to flyes....thats all i do now is more supersets

works real well for me, so I can get in there and THE HELL OUT TO EAT and GROW!!

I can press those 120's with a spotter a good amount of times still for shoulders.

Dumbells actually seem easier.

later mate

chest6 is offline Banned
    Ya i hate when im sick..i try to get in the gym if i can walk...prolly not a good idea toh

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Fever - don't train

no fever - I'll go do what I can

~SC~

ward065 is offline Member
    Regarding training when you are sick......i learned my lesson......TWICE....the hard way! let me explain

There were two times i caught a bad flu/ bug and was feeling disgusting for days within the past several years.

One time, i was sick and in bed for 4 days or so. I was getting so fustrated because i couldn't train, so i said F*** it and trained!

Now, i went to the gym one time and TRIED to exercise. My workout was pure torture! i had no pump.I felt like leaving the gym ASAP. I couldn't complete the full workout! When i got home, i got even sicker and was in bed for another 3 days! Yes, the workout made me feel worse

This happened a second time...similar to the first, and i recalled my bad experience. However i felt i had to train again after a few days of being sick. So i did.....

This time, i threw up in the gym! it wasn't nice. And when i got home again, i heaved some more....my illness was right back, and again in bed for more days!

So i clearly learned my lesson with both of these experiences.....if you don't feel like working out, don't......your body IS telling you to rest! it's better to be recouperated and have a full workout then have a bad, tortorous workout and then get sicker.

collar is offline Anabolic Member
    i never workout when im sick....
    first of all i dont get enough meals in....
    cause im sick i try to eat but its very hard when ur sick...
    so if u workout its like working against ur body not with it....

decadbal is offline Banned
    i never do, your body is weak and needs to save then energy it has in my op. so i let it rest, i dont wanna tax it then be sicker longer

Keyser Sozey is offline Anabolic Member
    With a major cold, I don't train. Also, since hunger goes out the window, I force down prot drinnks. If I can get two meals down I'll have 5-6 prot drinks. If I can't eat, then I'll drink 8-9.

_Tiger_ is offline Member
    I Say listen to your body man..

Do some light lifts, see how you feel ..since he just has a cold, not a fever (right?)

Listen to your body though, some days I literally walk in, do a few reps and I'm like "nope, not today" and walk right out. you can feel it when you try and lift pretty quickly usually.

Superhuman is offline Banned
    don't train even when you are just a little sick... it's okay to miss a workout or two - but just don't miss a meal.
    2 reasons not to workout when you are sick:

1: You could get other people sick, and that's not cool!
    2: It can make your small illness a lot worse, and potentially kill you! (This is true, do a search on it, because I don't want to take the time)

love 2 lift is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanStew
    I Say listen to your body man..

Do some light lifts, see how you feel ..since he just has a cold, not a fever (right?)

Listen to your body though, some days I literally walk in, do a few reps and I'm like "nope, not today" and walk right out. you can feel it when you try and lift pretty quickly usually.
    Totally agree!

I had a head cold a few months back and hit the gym for chest day before work. Needless to say I hit a few sets and my body said "No Way" I packed it up and called into work and went to see the doc.

Thread Information