OT8268 is offline Associate Member

Need some good Back workouts

I have been very unsatisfied with my current back workouts, I never leave the gym feeling I have accomplished anything, what I am asking for is two exercises

1 that helsp build over all size in my back, and one that will create an awesome burn, thanks for any help I recieve

RELENTLESS504 is offline New Member
    I know exactly what you are talking about. I get a pump in every part of my body except my BACK!! I have tried everything. I have been doing 4 exercises 4 sets of 10+ reps.
    1. behind the neck pull downs
    2. barbell or dumbell rows (till I almost puke)
    3. close grip pulldowns
    4. T-bar rows or one arm cable rows (till I can taste what I ate that morning)

I am getting results! But I never leave with that pumped feeling?
    If you find something let me know, I have done almost everything.

devilscabanaboy19 is offline Associate Member
    You might wanna try squeezing at the top of each movement. It's a good way to make all those striations pop out, and gives you a pretty good burn. Also be sure to get a deep stretch in every movement and don't let your arms do the work. Just think of them as hooks, and let your back muscles bear the load. A couple of my favorite excercises are reverse grip pull downs on the hammer strength machine and dumbell rows lying on an incline bench. In all these movements be sure to use good form and minimize momentum.

Canes4Ever is offline Banned
    Don't you guys do deadlifts? That will wear you out and your back will scream for you to stop, and before you know it, after a few weeks, you get some thickness and size.

Tapout is offline Senior Member
    if you dont like deads do partial deads
    i do them and pull downs every week only and my back got huge

do partial deads in a power rack with pin in on last hole from bottom(under knee level) the key is to do them a little different than a power lifter
    put both hands on a top grip (top of wrists on top of bar) at about thumbs length apart(put both thumbs out and keep them spaced about 2 inches apart) roll shoulders forward--take bar down--touch pins--raise bar back up keeping shoulders forward---when get to top roll shoulders backward and squeeze--repeat the same way

you cant do them as heavy as a regular partial dead --and use straps--my personal best is 405 for 5 reps and that has taken a while these will make you huge
    then do bar shrugs about 4 -6 sets
    then do 4 sets of pulldowns
    try you will love them

jbrand is offline Member
    i just thought i'd add something here:

i went years without ever learning how to work my back properly. regardless of exercise, you must establish the "mind-muscle connection" when working out your back. you need to feel your lats controlling the weight on the concentric and eccentric portions of all lifts. it might require weights lower than the ones you normally utilize to achieve such a task; but it's the best thing you will ever do for your back routine.

Hoopwxf is offline Female Member
    I here you with the no burn until recently. IMO the two best exercises would be wide grip chins with a weight and seated rows or one arm rows. Do a light set of 20 to warm up and then do 4 heavy sets ranging between 6-8 reps and then finish with a set of atleast 20 if you can do more you do more, this last set is the most important, go until you have absolutely nothing left. I also do wide grip pronated rows and neutral wide grip pulldowns. Deadlifts I do on a seperate day, nasty exercise that one need lots of energy.
    You are the master of your body, take control and sculpt it.

jbrand is offline Member
    Originally posted by Hoopwxf
    I here you with the no burn until recently. IMO the two best exercises would be wide grip chins with a weight and seated rows or one arm rows. Do a light set of 20 to warm up and then do 4 heavy sets ranging between 6-8 reps and then finish with a set of atleast 20 if you can do more you do more, this last set is the most important, go until you have absolutely nothing left. I also do wide grip pronated rows and neutral wide grip pulldowns. Deadlifts I do on a seperate day, nasty exercise that one need lots of energy.
    Wait, wait. Female and deadlifts? I am in love

A workout isn't complete without them don't you think. They are the only exercise that give me DOMs every single week no matter what.

jbrand is offline Member
    Originally posted by Hoopwxf
    A workout isn't complete without them don't you think. They are the only exercise that give me DOMs every single week no matter what.
    I couldn't agree more. The #1 most neglected exercise in gyms all over the world. it's priority should be right up there with squats and bench press. in the new age gym culture people put too much emphasis on isolation movements and stupid machines. Deadlifts is the single most effective exercise for the upper-body IMO, no other compound movement will recruit so many muscle fibers. It is such a rare occasion that I see people doing them in my gym and it's a damn shame.

OT8268 is offline Associate Member
    I definatley do deadlifts (my favorite exercise), but I still dont feel my back working, this is most likely because I use a hex bar, I feel that hex bar primarly works the shoulders and legs, I will definately throw some straight bar deads in there now, maybe scrap the hex bar all together since I squat twice a week, thanks for all the help guys, some great suggestions here

Originally posted by jbrand

I couldn't agree more. The #1 most neglected exercise in gyms all over the world. it's priority should be right up there with squats and bench press. in the new age gym culture people put too much emphasis on isolation movements and stupid machines. Deadlifts is the single most effective exercise for the upper-body IMO, no other compound movement will recruit so many muscle fibers. It is such a rare occasion that I see people doing them in my gym and it's a damn shame.

Wow someone that finally feels as I do. Deads are *the shit*.

Originally posted by OT8268
    I definatley do deadlifts (my favorite exercise), but I still dont feel my back working, this is most likely because I use a hex bar, I feel that hex bar primarly works the shoulders and legs, I will definately throw some straight bar deads in there now, maybe scrap the hex bar all together since I squat twice a week, thanks for all the help guys, some great suggestions here
    Get rid of the hex bar bro.....deads should be done conventionally.

RebelMan is offline Junior Member
    If you want to get a good burn. Try doing your exercises slower and then return the weight slowly. You may not be able to do as much weight, or as many reps, but you will definately feel the burn.

lethalppl is offline Associate Member
    idid not see anyone say to do pull up with wieghts if u can? or im i the only guy who does these for my back?

Talking

Originally posted by lethalppl
    idid not see anyone say to do pull up with wieghts if u can? or im i the only guy who does these for my back?
    Your eyes must have denied you the pleasure of my post.

Parker is offline New Member
    Definately do deads without a hex bar. To increase the burn in your lower back do deads more bodybuilding style rather than powerlifting style. What I mean is by doing them half stiff legged and half conventional(i.e. partial deads). Bend your knees slightly and keep the proper arch in your back going down while contracting and really squeezing your lower back at the top. This helps isolate the back and knock out the unneeded leg work. I wouldn't do conventional deads just because they are gonna get your legs and glutes sore, which should be trained on leg day not back day.

Thread Information