Tommy Gunn is offline Member

Is running on the treadmill 2 times a week enough?

I'm just coming back to the gym after having 4 surgeries in the last 9 months (umbilacal hernia, torn pec, bone spur on humurus bone, bicep tenodesis, partial labrum tear, subacromial decompression).

Anyway, I was planning on lifting 4 days a week (mon,tues,thurs,fri) and running on the treadmill 2 of the days I don't lift (weds and sat). With my full time career I only have time to incorporate this routine into my schedule. I don't have time right now to lift AND run in the same night. Come Spring time it will be EVEN MORE hectic because I will be adding my boxing training to the mix (if my injuries heal like they're supposed to).

I have a question for you guys:

When running on the treadmill, I plan on walking for 5 minutes at 3 mph and than I will run for 20 minutes at a high pace of between 6-8 mph, and than I will walk for 5 minutes at 3 mph for a cool down. Ofcourse I won't start out at this pace but over the next few weeks and months I would like to work up to running at 8 mph.

So my question is, would running for 20 minutes at between 6-8 mph 2 times a week (weds and sat) be enough for me?

Keep in mind, I'm incorporating the treadmill so I can get my lungs and stamina ready for boxing. I'm NOT doing it for fat loss. Will doing this only twice a week help me get my lungs and stamina back up to par?
    Last edited by Tommy Gunn; 01-02-2007 at 11:52 PM.

cfiler is offline Anabolic Member
    I'd go for the 3 days that you are not lifting.

2 days of cardio is not enough for my endurance training.

Tommy Gunn is offline Member
    Thanks cfiler.

What about my duration (20 minutes) and pace (6 mph and working my way up to 8 mph over the next few months). How do they look?
    Last edited by Tommy Gunn; 01-02-2007 at 02:54 PM.

Thread Information