skinnyhb is offline Member

bicycling and maintaining mass

i have recently gotten into road cycling and have been putting on probably about 100 miles a week on my bike, or roughly 6 hours of fairly hard riding in, but i want to keep the size i have and put on more. should i just take in more calories, or try and maintain relatively low heart rate to hopefully just stay on a fat burning rather than a cardio workout? any suggestions?

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnyhb
    i have recently gotten into road cycling and have been putting on probably about 100 miles a week on my bike, or roughly 6 hours of fairly hard riding in, but i want to keep the size i have and put on more. should i just take in more calories, or try and maintain relatively low heart rate to hopefully just stay on a fat burning rather than a cardio workout? any suggestions?
    Its going to be hard for you to put on any more mass while your cycling 100 miles a week that’s for sure, I would recommend getting to the B/F you desire then bulking from there adding more calories will defeat the point of doing the cardio in the first place..

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    If you are going to put that many miles in during the week, I believe you will need to increase your calories. Start small, like an extra 500 calories above your maintenance total for the day. This will give you an extra 3500 calories for the week. You will gain about a pound a week unless you increase your energy expenditure. Stop adding 500 calories when you have attained your desired bodyweight. Don't worry about staying in your fat burning zone. If you love to bike, don't do it like a fitness buff, work hard! Think about, has anything in life worth attaining not involve hard work?

Jacky_Zebsten is offline Associate Member
    so cycling while bulking is a no no?

damn it. i wanted to do it to lose that extra bf and to get fitter while still increasing lbm

t-gunz is offline MONITOR~ ~ RIP ~ Gone never Forgotten
    i'm a cycllist too i layed off a bit... i wasn't getting a big upper body but my legs where getting pretty dam big... i was cycling about 300-450km a week... so i cut down now and started to bulk been going well.... dunno how i'll go if i get back into cycling like a use to... might loose a bit of mass... guess only one way to find out

i'd be doing just under 250 kms a week :/

I hope this wouldnt inhibit my gains... althought it would be good to build my legs... damn chicken legs look ridiculous

maybe if i only ride to work a few days a week. and not every day. then i can still bulk while keeping the fat off

cfiler is offline Anabolic Member
    Like said above, just increase your daily callorie intake to make up for the callories you are burning while bicycling.

Or reduce your callories, and use it as a cutting cardio ruitine.

Thread Information