savax is offline Associate Member

Breathing properly when lifting

I had a novice question that I think there might be some disagreement on. When do you INHALE/EXHALE during your lifts? For example, if i'm doing bench, do I inhale on the lift or inhale on the way down??? I know this sounds like a silly question, but just wondering the best way to delivery O2 to my muscles
    thanks!

chest6 is offline Banned
    i inhale on the way down and exhale on the way up

lcpl kill is offline Associate Member
    yup yup, if you think about especially on bench if you were to breath in whilst pushing your body will be working against itself your lungs and ribs would be trying to inflate and expand while your muscles are contracting and compressing.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    i inhale on the way down and exhale on the way up
    This is the way that I explain proper breathing to beginning strength trainers. Once they start putting up some serious weight, I tell them to trust their body and let the breathing take care of itself. When in a strength cycle, we may be attempting a low rep bench press (for example). Usually you can build more intra-abdominal pressure, important for stabilizing the spine, by holding the breath until you break through your sticking point. At that time, exhale but not too much that you lose your stability. Obviously, this isn't for a beginner. They probably would end up holding their breath and become light-headed. It's been said that they could pass out (I haven't seen it yet). Also, for those with heart conditions, this practice of breath holding is not recommended.
    Last edited by striker93; 08-05-2005 at 06:45 PM.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by striker93
    This is the way that I explain proper breathing to beginning strength trainers. Once they start putting up some serious weight, I tell them to trust their body and let the breathing take care of itself. When in a strength cycle, we may be attempting a low rep bench press (for example). Usually you can build more intra-abdominal pressure, important for stabilizing the spine, by holding the breath until you break though your sticking point. At that time exhale, but not too much that you lose your stability. Obviously, this isn't for a beginner. They probably would end up holding their breath and become light headed. It's been said that they could pass out (I haven't seen it yet). Also, for those with heart conditions, this practice of breath holding is not recommended.
    This is what I do...I was assuming he was beginning asking that question

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    This is what I do...I was assuming he was beginning asking that question
    I knew that, no disrespect to you. This site has given me a lot of knowledge on AAS, so want to make sure I give back by giving as much info as possible on my training knowledge. I apologize if I stepped on your feet; afterall, you've been here longer than me.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by striker93
    I knew that, no disrespect to you. This site has given me a lot of knowledge on AAS, so want to make sure I give back by giving as much info as possible on my training knowledge. I apologize if I stepped on your feet; afterall, you've been here longer than me.
    No offense taken. I do what you described..I cant tell if you are still unclear on which I do. Keep posting, this is a great site.

jbabs414 is offline New Member

How long have you lifted?

I'm sorry to say, but dude, if you don't even know breathing technique(s), I'm positive you are NOT ready for a cycle. When you get down breathing techs, read a WHOLE LOT before you even CONSIDER. Don't be STUPID.

Joemeek is offline Junior Member
    I would say as a general rule, alway's exhale on hardest phase of the excersice.

Powerathlete is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemeek
    I would say as a general rule, alway's exhale on hardest phase of the excersice.
    This is a good way to remember. The last thing you want to do is compress the inferior vena cava and pass out.

Thread Information