Shihonage311 is offline Junior Member

Checkout my 5x5 routine

First off, I am looking to add some strength while keeping my current muscle mass and cutting off some fat. I have a well written diet and will be on a fina/test cycle during this routine. Opinions?

5'6 180 11-12%b/f want to get to 8%

Monday Chest/Bi

Chest

Flat bench press 5x5
    incline barbell 1x12,1x10,1x8
    Incline dumbells 1x12,1x10,1x8

Total chest sets: 11

Biceps

Barbell curls 3x15
    Dumbell curls 1x12,1x10,1x8
    Preacher curl 1x12,1x10,1xfailure(strip weight and keep going)

Total Bicep sets: 9

Tuesday

Cardio/45mins in the AM

Wednesday Back/tris
    Deadlifts 5x5
    Pullups 3x12
    Pulldowns 1x12,1x10,1x8
    Cable rows 3x12

total back sets: 14

Triceps
    Close grip bench 5x5
    Skull crushers 1x12,1x10,1x8
    french press 1x12,1x10,1x8

Total tri sets:11

Thursday

Cardio/45mins in the AM

Friday Legs/shoulders
    Squats 5x5
    Leg extensions 1x12,1x10,1x8
    Leg curls 1x12,1x10,1x8
    Calves 4x30

Total leg sets:15

Shoulders
    Seated dumbell press 5x5
    side Lateral raises 1x12,1x10,1x8
    Front raises 1x12,1x10,1x8
    Upright rows,1x12,1x10,1x8

Total shoulder sets: 14

Saturday

Cardio/45mins in the AM

Sunday/OFF

Shihonage311 is offline Junior Member
    bump

inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    The split looks good. I don't think that you need 9 sets for biceps when you work back 2 days later. You may find that replacing one of the incline bench movements with weighted dips works better. Back day looks ok. If you can do 3 sets of 12 on chins, I would suggest adding weight. I wouldnt mind seeing db or bb rows in place of cable rows, but that is very much personal preference. Unless you have found that doing 30 reps sets for calves is the only thing that works for you, I would suggest working them in a normal rep range. You may need to drop the front raises if chest day comes around and you are still recovering. Be careful with the overhead presses, getting those dumbells up there will be a real chore on 5x5s. That is a fun split though, chest and bis on the same day is motivating as hell.

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    You have to figure out what works for you. That rutine isn't enough for me to make any gains with. I don't know how many times I've said it, what works for you may not work best for me and what works best for me may not work for you. Back in the days I used to try to follow other people's rutines and had okay results, but nothing major. When I started recording how I reacted to different rutines, and I developed a rutine that worked best for me. That's really what you have to do. It takes a long time to do and it's a lot of work, but that's the best thing you can do for yourself.

phreezer is offline Respected Member
    That is not a 5X5 routine..THAT'S NOT EVEN CLOSE.. and shouldn't even be called 5X5.. What you've got there is some weird hybrid thing that you believe is 5x5 but is in fact VERY far from anything remotley resembling the program ... I've posted a couple of TRUE 5x5 training programs in the powerlifting forum on this board.. you should go in and check them out..Believe me, I know what I'm talking about... The man who created the 5X5 program is a Friend of Mine and his program is VERY well put together, and requires almost no tweaking or the bastardization that you've got laid out above.. Read the principles and concepts of 5X5 to see what I'm talking about.. If you follow the program.. you will have very good results.
    Last edited by phreezer; 02-22-2004 at 11:38 PM.

inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    Maybe that is not a true 5x5, but he is planning on doing exercizes in a 5x5 format. Its just a program, give him some feedback on the specifics.

phreezer is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by inheritmylife
    Maybe that is not a true 5x5, but he is planning on doing exercizes in a 5x5 format. Its just a program, give him some feedback on the specifics.
    I did give him some feedback.. GO INTO THE POWERLIFTING FORUM AND READ THE POST ABOUT 5X5!!!

There is a physiological science behind the 5 sets of 5 reps training program.. and when you just pick random exercises out of the air and say.. I'm gonna do these exercises 5x5.. you're probably not going to get the results your looking for... There is rhyme and reason behind it..

So what exactly am I supposed to give him feedback on?? The Post I made about 5X5 in the pl forum should cover it.
    Last edited by phreezer; 02-23-2004 at 06:13 PM.

big_mike is offline Member
    looks like a helluva lot of overtraining imho....

Thread Information