eagle66 is offline Junior Member

military press helpful or hurtful?

whats everybody's opinion some guy was telling me id hurt my shoulders what do you guys think?

DevilsDeity is offline Anabolic Member
    i love em, i just dont go super heavy w/ them

use the smith machine for good form

broncojosh is offline Senior Member
    well, I see the most size increase when I do sets of 6 and heavy. I recommend them, if you have healthy, stable shoulders

Tedmax195 is offline Member
    They have always been the main mass builder for me and what i found is that i won't bring the bar below my ear when i'm coming down or try doing them to the front instead of behind the neck.

eagle66 is offline Junior Member
    i always do military on smith machine and i only work shoulders once a week . i think ill be alright. i agree with deity i love them as well

BigMike J is offline Anabolic Member
    Dumbell presses man, dumbell presses, heavy heavy, i can't get enough of them, What's up fellas im new to the board also. Nice to be here. Juice free as of now, but hope to change that in the upcoming months.

broncojosh is offline Senior Member
    Hey welcome aboard BigMike

Tapout is offline Senior Member
    i dont ever do them---i train with a couple of elite powerlifters and none of us do them because of the strain to the shoulder
    if you do them do them to the front and like said in the smith

my sports dr told me they are one of the worst exercises as they put too much strain if you get out of balance or go too deep behind neck(and this dr trains and is big time into training so he never says stop or too much like most docs)

with all the bench i do i dont need them i just do 2 sets each of db front ,side,and rear laterials and shoulders are done and sometimes hammer military real light

jbrand is offline Member
    very effective exercise, don't be shy with free weights. use reasonable weight loads that you will be able to adequetly control in a full range of motion. dumbbells are ideal for this exercise in my opinion; the task of balancing and controlling the weight is essential in building up your stabilizer muscles around the shoulder. military presses don't cause injury. improper form, excessive weight loads, and strength imbalances are what cause injury.

Canes4Ever is offline Banned
    Good exercise but I recommend them, always to be done in the front to avoid major rotator cuff issues such as what I have to deal with.

postel is offline Junior Member
    Military presses are my main bulking movement for shoulders. I also agree with canes4Ever. Do the presses to the front. behind the neck can damage the rotator cuff when lifting heavy and puts a large amount of stress on the shoulder girdle in general.

testprop is offline Associate Member
    I love Military Press! I do em real heavy

But I wouldn't recommend to use the smith machine, it could lead to a pattern overload syndrome. Saw it many times, so be smart, use free weights.

Commander_Bash is offline Junior Member
    There awesome ..dont do them on smith machines though i think any machine for shoulders are useless you need freeweights...it takes out the balancing of the weights and all that crap.....
    Bash

Uconish is offline Member
    Heavy dumbells are awesome leave you with a great pump I used to do behind the neck presses in high school I thought i was the Incredible Hulk and hurt my shoulders so now i dont even bother with them If your shoulders can take the stress then do the barbell presses Ive seen some guys lift huge amounts of weights on the military I guess it depends on the person like some of the guys said

BigMike J is offline Anabolic Member
    A little over a year ago i was doing behind the neck barbell presses with heavy weight and ripped a tendon from my upper bicep thru my upper peck. At the time i did'nt realize that i did some pretty major damage to both my peck and my bicep, but next day when i went to do some push-ups i felt a fuckin pain that i never felt before, anyhow it' took over 4 months to fully heal, and like a dumbass i did'nt go to doctor.
    Now when i do incline curls or any other curls for that matter i can feel the pressure the tendon pullin on my peck and bicep, when i do the bench my right side seems to be weaker, that one mistake screwed my shit up, it's alot better now, but i guess what im sayin is just be smart about your lifting and not a stupid ass like i was. umm that's it.

Tapout is offline Senior Member
    i also dont believe in smith machine training as i am a power lifter and do bar bench,squats,and dead lifts
    the only exercise i would use a smith machine for is shoulders as it is so easy to injure them

Thread Information