Thread: Stubborn Chest

mkv213 is offline Member

Unhappy Stubborn Chest

My chest is by far the most stubborn muscle group to grow on my body. Can anybody recomment a chest routine or provide a link to a chest routine to increase mass in the pecs? Also, Do you guys ever do decline presses? Thanks in advance

_Tiger_ is offline Member
    Well whats your chest routine like now? Declines are good for your lower pecs. but yea post your chest day

mkv213 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanStew
    Well whats your chest routine like now? Declines are good for your lower pecs. but yea post your chest day
    I do bench presses Inc/flat, cable xovers for a month. then I'll change up to dumbell presses/flies for a few weeks. I like to change up to shock. I go heavy/low reps.

ryan9101 is offline Associate Member
    Stick with 8-12 Reps for hypertrophy on your presses. Also try beggining your routine with inclines, as they are better suited for building mass. Incline DBs are awesome.

Zapp is offline Banned
    Sounds like you're doing all you can do. As far as the decline goes, read an article from Ronnie Coleman that said that he would not decline no more than every other chest workout. Me personally...never do it.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    When looking for mass, I would take out the cables and stick with dumbbells or barbells. Cables are generally used after you've acquired your desired mass level. I would incorporate declines into your chest program. Once you develop the neuromuscular coordination, on the decline press, you'll be able to put up tremendous numbers. Your body is at a mechanical advantage and you'll have less range of motion to fight through.

freakintraining is offline Associate Member
    i have the same problem...my chest is strong but i cant get the upper definition, i start with incline and i can rep 305 8-10x good clean reps too but i cant get taht nice full boxy chest, my flat is just as strong should i try anything differnt

growjuice is offline New Member
    For chest you can add pullovers, dips (make sure to focus on the chest not tris), change up the angles on your crossovers, do them from a low, med, & hi positions, you can also try them seated. Work all the muscles that tie into the chest which will give you more strength which will add to more size.

Gorgoroth_ is offline Associate Member
    Chest is my favorite muscle group to work out. My max is 405. Here is my typical chest routine.

135x10
    185x10
    225x8
    275x8
    315x8
    355-365x 2-4
    385x1
    405x1

after that I do dumbell presses with 85's. At this point my chest is fried.

I have done other routines to mix things up where I do less reps

135x10
    185x8
    225x6
    275x4
    315x1
    340x1
    365x1
    405x1-2 I say 405 is my max because I've never done more than that , I probably could but you could say thats where I really begin to feel the weight. I feel it throughout my entire chest and arms as well as my bones. It just feels heavy as shit for me. I think in part its a psychological factor. Seeing 4 plates on each side on a bench press is just scary at times. To some of the bros on here 405 is probably baby shit however.

What I'm curious to know is how your shoulders are. You may be a shoulder bencher like myself. No matter how hard I try to isolate the chest on a flat or incline barbell press, the shoulders get hit almost more than the chest seems like. Try using just db's and turn them palms in at the top of the movement to squeeze the inner chest. Also, decline would be a good idea if you are one of these shoulder benchers because when your in that position its harder for the shoulders to help since the bar is down towards your abdomen more. Decline barbell is the only barbell I do anymore. Also, for the guy w/ genetically big strong shoulders, try cutting your shoulder lifts down to eo wk, it gives you more power come chest day. Just thought this may be the problem, but I'd have to see a pic to tell.

_Tiger_ is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by freakintraining
    i have the same problem...my chest is strong but i cant get the upper definition, i start with incline and i can rep 305 8-10x good clean reps too but i cant get taht nice full boxy chest, my flat is just as strong should i try anything differnt
    if your doing 305 8-10x "good clean reps" you need to up your sh*t cause you should almost fail at around 6 reps to break plateaus

As for MKV, I would suggest you test yourself. Find out where your weak points are in your chest

put some heavy weight on the barbell and go until failure, check what your "sticking points" are, if your getting stuck near the top of your rep, its your tri's, if your getting stuck at the bottom, your shoulders may be the problem..just a few things to try

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by stayinstacked
    What I'm curious to know is how your shoulders are. You may be a shoulder bencher like myself. No matter how hard I try to isolate the chest on a flat or incline barbell press, the shoulders get hit almost more than the chest seems like. Try using just db's and turn them palms in at the top of the movement to squeeze the inner chest. Also, decline would be a good idea if you are one of these shoulder benchers because when your in that position its harder for the shoulders to help since the bar is down towards your abdomen more. Decline barbell is the only barbell I do anymore. Also, for the guy w/ genetically big strong shoulders, try cutting your shoulder lifts down to eo wk, it gives you more power come chest day. Just thought this may be the problem, but I'd have to see a pic to tell.
    i agree....

collar is offline Anabolic Member
    i really dont see the need for decline but thats just me...
    make sure ur lefting with all chest..
    make sure nothing else comes into play and avoide other bodyparts comming into place when ur doing chest like bench press and so on..

mkv213 is offline Member
    Thanks Brothas,

I'll try some more variations. I've been trying to focus on chest...i.e. tight back on the bench, elbows out, etc. I'll give this a month. It should work. I've noticed that my form wasn't the best.
    Thx again.

freakintraining is offline Associate Member
    i never said i plateau'd...i know i can lift more im wondering my years of training why my upper chest just wont develop like my middel and lower

Squatman51 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mkv213
    Thanks Brothas,

I'll try some more variations. I've been trying to focus on chest...i.e. tight back on the bench, elbows out, etc. I'll give this a month. It should work. I've noticed that my form wasn't the best.
    Thx again.
    try keeping your elbows in.... you be able to push better

mkv213 is offline Member
    How about the inner upper pecs? I seem to have less muscle there than the outer upper pec. I do Incline flies but I can't seem to fill my inner upper pecs to equal my outter upper pecs. Is that just a slower part of the muscle to grow?

Ejuicer is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Squatman51
    try keeping your elbows in.... you be able to push better
    Keeping your elbows in puts a lot more focus on your tri's...

Thread Information