ward065 is offline Member

Standing vs. Seated Military Presses

Why is it that when i do seated barbell military presses, i can use 50 pounds more weight than with standing ones?

With seated presses, i can get about 205 for 5 solid reps. However, with the standing ones, my best is 155 for 6. There is no way i can lift 205 even one time with the standing barbell presses.

Any guesses why this is true?

crazle43764 is offline Associate Member
    Could be that you have weak core muscles, also how tall are you?

ryan9101 is offline Associate Member
    It is definatley putting you at a weaker position as your core goes. In a seated military you are not stabilizing with your abs/lower back nearly as much as you are with a standing military.

that is a good point ryan..but i do also feel my shoulders (cant move the weight) if was trying to go that heavy

i still know it's working the shoulders good, because it is a different move when i alternate the exercises.

Benches505 is offline 75% HGH 25% Testosterone
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan9101
    It is definatley putting you at a weaker position as your core goes. In a seated military you are not stabilizing with your abs/lower back nearly as much as you are with a standing military.
    Right on the money with this answer.

lcpl kill is offline Associate Member
    doing seated allows you to concentrate more on your shoulders as opposed to standing where your trying to keep your balance and stabalize yourself.

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lcpl kill
    doing seated allows you to concentrate more on your shoulders as opposed to standing where your trying to keep your balance and stabalize yourself.
    Wrong and Right.
    Standing more effectively works the entire deltoid complex( ...and parts of the trapezial complex) due to the fact that one has to balance the weight. Thus making the standing barbell press a more effective core strength movement.

Are you using a bench with a back rest when you're in the seated position?

If so..that'd explain why you'd be able to press more...as the balancing factor will've been elimimated...

I'd hypothesize..that if you were using a bench with no back support (i.e. a flat bench), you'd actually be able to press LESS weight than if you were doing a standing press...as you would have to stabilise the weight AND would be pressing without the leverage provided by your legs in the standing movement.

~Narkissos
    Last edited by *Narkissos*; 07-28-2005 at 02:40 PM.

narkissos, that sounds like good info

yes, when i am seated the bench has a back rest (chair) so probably that is right. my form is good though, i am not cheating with the weight.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    Wrong and Right.
    Standing more effectively works the entire deltoid complex( ...and parts of the trapezial complex) due to the fact that one has to balance the weight. Thus making the standing barbell press a more effective core strength movement.

Are you using a bench with a back rest when you're in the seated position?

If so..that'd explain why you'd be able to press more...as the balancing factor will've been elimimated...

I'd hypothesize..that if you were using a bench with no back support (i.e. a flat bench), you'd actually be able to press LESS weight than if you were doing a standing press...as you would have to stabilise the weight AND would be pressing without the leverage provided by your legs in the standing movement.

~Narkissos
    Looks good to me...

lcpl kill is offline Associate Member
    word

decadbal is offline Banned
    imthe complete opposite.. i can do alot more standing than seated..

Quote Originally Posted by Decadbal
    imthe complete opposite.. i can do alot more standing than seated..
    that's strange. How much can you do seated vs. standing?

_Tiger_ is offline Member
    Also, it's said that anytime you can stand, rather than sit, while exercising muscle groups, you should stand. i.e. when i do isolated bicep preacher curls, i still stay standing, just slightly bent down...it just helps to stand if you can

love 2 lift is offline Associate Member
    I will have to check this out. I do behind the necks seated and front presses standing.

BeerBaron is offline Senior Member
    I prefer to stand, it just feels more natural to me and many say its better. Military press is the staple that holds my shoulder workouts together, I love it! A little tip: I find you can "spot" yourself if you bend your knees a little to cheat the bar up while standing, it helps to get that last rep.

justin2305 is offline Senior Member
    i prefer to do seated db shoulder presses over anything, less strain on ur shoulders and more of a consintrated movement which will always lead to a lil more growth imo.. works best for me i went from doing bb militaries to db seated presses, btw standing and doing them will put a lil unessisary strain on ur lower and mid back from what ive experianced

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    When pressing seated many people are arching big time and resting their upper back on the seat which turns the shoulder press almost into more of a really steep incline press. If you are only concerned with building muscle and not really worried about real world carryover stay with seated. Personally, I would do it standing rather than seated at least the majority of the time but that's becasue I am most concerned about 'functional' strength.

that is a fair point.

i see guys (bigger than me) cheating though on practically every exercise they do with very heavy weights sometimes. (the most common one is actually the standing barbell curl, but i do see it a lot on seated military presses)

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    One excellent technique that will allow you to lift more while standing is to incorporate the legs on concentric and just the shoulders on eccentric. Place the bar in a squat rack at just below shoulder level. Use your legs just enough to press the weight overhead. When lowering, just use your shoulder strength. You will really overload the negative with this technique. If performed correctly, this push-press technique will allow you to do more standing. I have yet to see a better mass builder for the shoulders.

legobricks is offline Retired AR Monitor
    hey striker, good info, itll get me to switch things up a bit. by the way, its nice to see someone ya know on this board! gettin back to the press though, ive also found that the standing military press was more effective, but the seated just felt easier cus there were less muscles used. i think im gonna switch it up every week though from seated to standing so i can kinda get the full effect. your thoughts on this?

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    You will get better isolation of the deltoid because your body is stabilized by the adjustable bench. If you've acquired the amount of mass that you desire, I would say stick with the seated version more often. If you looking to broaden your shoulders and pack some meat on your caps, then stay with the push press version. I wouldn't switch exercises as frequently as most do because there is the neuromuscular coordination aspect of free weights. You do not want to always be challenging your nervous system during your workouts. You'll want the deltoids to be challenged by progressive overload.

Thread Information