Thread: 5x5 for chest?

livewire57 is offline Associate Member

5x5 for chest?

What do you guys think of 5x5 flat bench press/db incline at the same weight? People tell me it is an excellent mass builder, but 5 sets seems excessive, especially at the same weight (shouldn't you increase the weight as you go?)

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    That's an old-school set-and-rep scheme used on a strength phase. I never used because I thought it was too taxing if you're putting in close to 100% effort on all sets. It's really impossible to use the same weight for all the sets, unless you put less effort in for the earlier sets. I never believed in training with less than near-max effort. Plus, I prefered increasing the weight as the sets progressed (less chance for injury). It seems like a waste of time and effort. IMO, you submaximal training for Westside-style recovery workouts.

Squatman51 is offline Senior Member
    its not all that bad.... i would use it more for assistor exercises if you are looking for strength

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I really like this method for the bench. Warm up then do 5 singles. Drop about 50 pounds and then do 5 sets of 5.

After the singles, the weight you are using for your 5's seems light. This is how I first built up my bench to 405 last year... you use the same weight for the singles and 5's... and each subsequent workout you add a little bit more - how much depends on how quick youn can adapt and supercompensate (sleep, food, AAS)...

jesse_james is offline Member
    Warrior is that method good for hypertrophy aswell?

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by jesse_james
    Warrior is that method good for hypertrophy aswell?
    Sure. Size often follows strength. But from personal experience this method is better to overcome the barriers you place on yourself by thinking too much about what you are lifting. When I first tried this method last summer I was beginning with 365 for the singles and then 315 for the 5's. After doing the singles of 365 - the 315 seemed sooo much easier... after exposing yourself to what heavy can be, in relation what seemed heavy in the warm up sets (the few before the 5 singles) - it's all that much of a problem. By the end of this 5X5 method I was doing 5 sets of 405 for singles and then 5 sets of 365 for the 5's - that was a great improvement! With no spot BTW.

So to answer your question... yes, indirectly. Because it helps take some of the psycological edge off by making what you used to think was a lot of weight - not seem sooo bad...

This would require you to keep track of the weights you are using so you keep adding a bit per workout. Its good to also keep track of how fast you work... if you increase your load but require much longer rests - you aren't gaining as much as you though. Try keeping the same rest intervals.

Thread Information